Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

Hi-Res monsters

Anyone know if there is a hi-res version of the Lost Soul, and where can I download it?

That looks amazing, but I'm looking just for a resized version of the original sprites, retaining the detail, not just, bigger pixels.

Heh, looks better than the last time I saw 'em. Anyway, DemonDemon was working on hi-res sprites . . .

Argh, not another of those idiotic programs where you have to do each file manually rather than just being able to use *.bmp as the input :( You also have to manually convert 256 colours images to 16 million colours first. Double :(

This program might be good at what it does, but it'd take bloody ages to do a decent number of images. At least the source code is available, so I hope someone one day sorts out these issues...

NiGHTMARE said:

Argh, not another of those idiotic programs where you have to do each file manually rather than just being able to use *.bmp as the input :( You also have to manually convert 256 colours images to 16 million colours first. Double :(

Ever heard of batch scripts?

Yes but I'm not a programming geek/freak/guru (delete as applicable ;) ), so my incredibly limited batch writing skills means I'd still have to type the name of every single .bmp to be converted, just in the .bat instead of at the command prompt.

I suspect the same is true for the vast majority of people.

BBG said:

This thing might be cool when it's done.

Makes textures look shitty IMO, since the composition of a flat lookiing image isn't helped much by filtering - it's better for edges. But sprites will look better with it.

It does about as much for sprites as it does for "flat" graphics, really. These kinds of algorithms work best with distinct contours and Doom doesn't have as many of those as, say, a SNES game.

Anyway, this kind of texture resizing is basically what PrBoom 2.3.0 does in real-time, with the difference that PrBoom can't apply additional smoothing since it operates in 8-bit color.

Fredrik said:

It does about as much for sprites as it does for "flat" graphics, really. These kinds of algorithms work best with distinct contours and Doom doesn't have as many of those as, say, a SNES game.

It works better for sprites than for flat graphics. In the case of most games anyway, I would imagine. Since there is a lot of distinct edges (or contours as you say) usually present in sprites, because it's rare that they are perfectly square images.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

It works better for sprites than for flat graphics. In the case of most games anyway, I would imagine. Since there is a lot of distinct edges (or contours as you say) usually present in sprites, because it's rare that they are perfectly square images.

I'm not talking about the outer boundaries of the image - they don't matter at all. What matters is the distinct edges inside the image, and there's really no major difference between textures and sprites in terms of that as far as Doom goes. Sprites are smooth-shaded, as are textures.

Fredrik said:

I'm not talking about the outer boundaries of the image - they don't matter at all. What matters is the distinct edges inside the image, and there's really no major difference between textures and sprites in terms of that as far as Doom goes. Sprites are smooth-shaded, as are textures.

The outer boundaries of sprites still mean that it has a larger visual benefit overall with sprites than textures though - the outer edges do matter as they stick out much more without the filter.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

The outer boundaries of sprites still mean that it has a larger visual benefit overall with sprites than textures though - the outer edges do matter as they stick out much more without the filter.

That's true, but you'll have to explain "Makes textures look shitty IMO". How does not making textures significantly better because there isn't much to be done (IYO) make the textures look shitty?

Fredrik said:

That's true, but you'll have to explain "Makes textures look shitty IMO". How does not making textures significantly better because there isn't much to be done (IYO) make the textures look shitty?

Look at the second underhalls pic here

The colour banding looks much more pronounced to me, and it almost has a slightly cel-shaded quality to it.

The banding probably happens because it was resampled in 16bpp, it wouldn't be there if it was done in 24bpp. Regardless of what, I'll rather have some banding and sharp edges than blurred edges. As for looking cel-shaded, that hardly clashes with the visual style of Doom. In fact I'd say it enhances it. (And you'd see the same effects on the sprite if you looked at it in close-up).

Fredrik said:

The banding probably happens because it was resampled in 16bpp, it wouldn't be there if it was done in 24bpp. Regardless of what, I'll rather have some banding and sharp edges than blurred edges. As for looking cel-shaded, that hardly clashes with the visual style of Doom. In fact I'd say it enhances it. (And you'd see the same effects on the sprite if you looked at it in close-up).

Well, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

BlackFish said:

Christ! If only edge or zdoomgl had that.

:O

zdoomgl is getting it soon, but I'm not sure it'll look all that great.

NiGHTMARE said:

Argh, not another of those idiotic programs where you have to do each file manually rather than just being able to use *.bmp as the input :(

for %a in (*.bmp) do lolz %a

that would work in bash and the like.... he's probably using command.com or the winxp console.

Anders said:

that would work in bash and the like.... he's probably using command.com or the winxp console.

for %a in (*.bmp) do lolz %a DOES work in command.com/the XP console.

I had to add an extra '%a' to the end (since the program requires an input and an output name), but that works, thanks!

Now how would I make it so instead of overwriting the original, it would save to a new file with, say, an extra 2 at the end?

for %a in (*.bmp) do hq4x %a %a2 works, but saves as *.bmp2 rather than *2.bmp