Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkpaul

music?

Playing through the N64 tc of Doom, it made me think of the music. Is there a way to change music and make it play the better stuff in the game? Like the n64 tracks or better doom mixes?

Is there a way to play better quality songs, though? Like mp3's or something? Those are probably nice, but just midis, aren't they?

Darkpaul said:

Is there a way to play better quality songs, though? Like mp3's or something? Those are probably nice, but just midis, aren't they?

Yes, the sets in that directory will undoubtedly be midi-type tracks. If you want to use MP3's, you'll have to use JDoom or ZDoom (those are the only ones I know of that support MP3). You can find MP3 sets for JDoom if you search around on Google.

You're playing the Doom64 TC - right? Pretty sure there was 2 additional downloads available for it. Hi quality MP3 versions of the D64 music in a WAD and lower quality versions of the same for people with slow connections. I know that's what I've been using with the TC anyway.

How do I assemble mp3s in a WAD to use in Doom? I want to do something with the music from the Metal Slug games :)

Load the mp3 as a data lump in Wintex, say, demo1, rename to the appropriate song name, 'D_RUNNIN' for example.

Ed said:

Load the mp3 as a data lump in Wintex, say, demo1, rename to the appropriate song name, 'D_RUNNIN' for example.

I'm not familiar with Wintex, unfortunately. How do I load something as a data lump?

Never mind, I got it :)

I'm working on a WAD for the Doom2 music, and then I might do one for Doom eventually. :D

(although I should really reduce them from 192 quality before putting them in the WAD, that'll just make it too big. ;)

OK, I finished making the music WAD for Doom2! :D

Now, seeing as the music is entirely from other sources, and the WAD itself is 50MB worth of mp3s (I wanted to keep the original sound instead of using MIDIs :P ), is it possible to release it on newstuff, or the archives at least? I don't have enough space to host it on my webspace here....

Ah well. It was mostly meant for personal use anyway. ;)

myk said:

No.

OK then. I'll just keep it for personal use and send it to people who want it then. :)

I've been using Jdoom pretty much exclusively. Not that I'm against any other source port, it's really just a matter of time and taste, to be perfectly honest.

Jdoom supports PK3 files, which is just an uncompressed ZIP file renamed, and I've been using those to add new music (mp3, ogg, etc) while I play.

Mostly my older "remixed" stuff and Klems, which were available on MP3.com before they went tits up.

That's great, guys. I learned a little from jdoom that I could redirect where it should play the song on my harddrive, which is great. But how do you get it to play .wad files in jdoom?

Not sure I understand.

Using KickStart (a great front end... remember DM.exe for dos? :) )
Just add PWADS with that.

or, the jdoom -game doom2 -file {path}\somewad.wad

Oh, sure. Kickstart is...frankly godly for doom. But you can add .wad music in the "wad" tab? I thought that was only for levels?

Heavens no.
Any WAD containing any valid entry/lump is aok.
That's been since the original floppy release, as far as I know.

No sweat.
You haven't seen some of my questions in the past few months.

I've asked some real doosies...
And I've been playing the game on and off since 1930 or something.