Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Bush in 30 seconds..

http://www.bushin30seconds.org/finalists.html

I think "Imagine" and "Human Cost of War" had more of an impact than the overly polished winner, either way, we can rest easy one of these ads will be run before/after Bush's State of the Union rather than, say, a Budweiser commercial.

BBG said:

My Country was a pretty damn good ad.

Yeah, that's my favorite of all of them.

Yeah, saw this about a week ago, the my country one is definatly the best, although not by far.

Fredrik said:

Good idea, execution not quite so good IMO.

Ehh the execution isn't really that important. As long as they dont give away the location too soon.

already saw these on dwv. i don't like bush but these just aren't funny. i liked "wake up america" best. of course, i'm in favor of a lot of the stuff that was said on the radio which kind of hurts the effect of it :P

sargebaldy said:

already saw these on dwv. i don't like bush but these just aren't funny. i liked "wake up america" best. of course, i'm in favor of a lot of the stuff that was said on the radio which kind of hurts the effect of it :P

Funny? These were supposed to be serious attempts to show a negative opinion of bush, I don't think any of them were trying to be funny. Except maybe for the leprachaun or car garage one.

"Brother, Can You Spare a Job?" was pretty good. I liked "Bring It On" more though.

Oh, I take it back then. Most of these actually make me more angry about the people who made them than at Bush for some reason. The only ones that I didn't mind were the ones that put a comic spin on it, the other ones are just annoying and I doubt they'll have any effect at all on any voters, except maybe to enrage them.

sargebaldy said:

Oh, I take it back then. Most of these actually make more angry about the people who made them then at Bush for some reason.

Heh, it's the opposite for me. It bothers me that the voters have to be spoonfed the (largely) truth around campaign time because they're sitting on their duff the rest of the year.

I don't like political advertising in general, it sickens me. People should find the facts for themselves, and if they're not going to that's their own concious decision. Democracy is a crock of shit because people actually do respond to said political ads. I fail to comprehend how someone can be stupid enough to make a political decision, one that will effect his/her entire future, on the basis of something the television tells them in a paid advertisement.

sargebaldy said:

I fail to comprehend how someone can be stupid enough to make a political decision, one that will effect his/her entire future, on the basis of something the television tells them in a paid advertisement.

It might be ignoble, but we do a lot of stuff (not everything, though) that tv tells us to. We buy certain products, see certain movies, expect certain things of other people, etc based on something the television tells us in a paid advertisement.

I don't. I didn't even when I had a television, which was a good 3 years ago.

I've reacted very little in general to any of this cultural prison people like to restrain themselves to. I find my own new music by researching and experimenting, I find out whether I like food by tasting it, I don't drive just because everyone else does, I don't have a girlfriend because that's just another cultural expectation, I don't own a cell phone, I play Doom because I like the game, the list continues.

sargebaldy said:

I don't. I didn't even when I had a television, which was a good 3 years ago.

I've reacted very little in general to any of this cultural prison people like to restrain themselves to. I find my own new music by researching and experimenting, I find out whether I like food by tasting it, I don't drive just because everyone else does, I don't have a girlfriend because that's just another cultural expectation, I play Doom because I like the game, the list continues.

Well so do I, but not everyone does. That's why they call it "pop culture". Because it's popular with the masses. I'm simply referring to people in general.

sargebaldy said:

And that's why I'm completely disgusted. Most people are sheep. And I'm the kind of person who hates the shepherds.

Heh, I couldn't agree more. And nice metaphor to boot. (I think liking Doom is something that can be a way of rebelling against the norm...though I don't like it for that reason)

The Polygraph one looks like a good movie trailer...Americans are dying...for the TRUTH! haha

school yard politics...funniest ad ever...heh

Oh yeah...why the hell does that guy have a bicycle in his room? In the wake up america one.

Bah. TV has a bad rep. I don't mind admitting that I love watching TV. It's free (well here it is), it passes the time, I sometimes even learn things from it. Of corse, like anything you take it with a pinch of salt.

And anyone who says that TV makes you stupid and then spends all their time on the hive of intellect that is the Internet really is an idiot.

sargebaldy said:

I don't have a girlfriend because that's just another cultural expectation

LOLZ!

that and because i'm a picky bastard who never really cared to screw random sluts :P

Quast said:

Oh yeah...why the hell does that guy have a bicycle in his room? In the wake up america one.

people do that in dorm rooms a lot of the time.

Oh yeah, heh...thats why i don't have a girlfriend either...yeah, yeah that's the ticket..

sargebaldy said:

people do that in dorm rooms a lot of the time.

o i c

sargebaldy said:

I've reacted very little in general to any of this cultural prison people like to restrain themselves to. I find my own new music by researching and experimenting, I find out whether I like food by tasting it, I don't drive just because everyone else does, I don't have a girlfriend because that's just another cultural expectation, I don't own a cell phone, I play Doom because I like the game, the list continues.

Me, too. I could make a living from being unfashionable... (but then again my mind works differently to the average person, so it's not surprising)

sargebaldy said:

sargebaldy said:

I don't like political advertising in general, it sickens me. People should find the facts for themselves, and if they're not going to that's their own concious decision. Democracy is a crock of shit because people actually do respond to said political ads. I fail to comprehend how someone can be stupid enough to make a political decision, one that will effect his/her entire future, on the basis of something the television tells them in a paid advertisement.

You are teh rebel!!1 Whether you want to admit it or not, we are all spending celltime in our manufactured "cultural prisons," even you. Whether we borrow from one or a multitude of cultures, we are still endlessly influenced and ensnared by them.

Now, you claim are your own person, so to speak, and that's fine. You claim you are motivated, in the sense that you find things out for yourself and that's fine too, but you also disdain the fact that some people sometimes may need that extra motivation or "push" to gain knowledge and information. How different showing political ads is from, let's say, introducing someone to a new type of music, or "modern" entities such as the internet, or what have you? I'm certain that in your own lifetime there were times when you did not stumble on things that you ended up liking yourself, but were somehow pointed towards them. I really don't see any distinctions here; political ads influence people, but what doesn't (and simply because they do, that doesn't entail that democracy is a "crock of shit")? People have the right to come to their own conlcusions based on what they see or hear, and just because they either haven't had the time and/or motivation to do some research on their own does not mean they should be somehow excluded from being shown these things. Ads like these are just another medium through which facts can be taught or introduced (well, with some exceptions of course). You also have to understand not every person may have the kind of access to information that you may have, and these political ads may be simply ways of working around that. They ads by themselves of course should not be the ONLY means by which ones make a political decision, but should at least spark some interest of the viewer and hopefully motivate them in some way.

Quast said:

The Polygraph one looks like a good movie trailer...Americans are dying...for the TRUTH! haha

Oooooh yes

That is hillarious. I love humor.

mje said:

Oooooh yes

That is hillarious. I love humor.

Me too. I also love sarcasm.

Fredrik said:

I don't watch TV either.

same here. just havnt
if i do it is usally news, history channal, simpsons, discovery channel. i think it has to do with the fact i hate 90% of shows out there. i am sick of shit like friends and i really hate MTV (makes my generation look like a bunch of morons.... ok i see)

Sephiroth said:

i am sick of shit like friends and i really hate MTV (makes my generation look like a bunch of morons.... ok i see)

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!!!!

I guess it goes without saying that our world going to Hell in a handbasket is the understatement of the year.