Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Speedmapping Returns

Well, at least for now, anyway. Sarge Baldy will be hosting a speedmapping session at 7PM GMT on Monday, January 19th in irc.oftc.net #zdoom. And of course, that's 2PM Eastern, 1PM Central, 12PM Mountain, 11AM Pacific, and a completely different day for people in Australia.

Erik said:

you better cough up a good theme baldy =)

i'm not doing anything too gimmicky so you shouldn't have any problems with it. as for good, we'll see :)

EarthQuake said:

Yea, I'll be there... If my church officials don't have me castrated or something >_<

heh, i never even realized that this runs at the same time as church. then again there's very few devout christian doomers so that's never been a problem.

heh, i never even realized that this runs at the same time as church. then again there's very few devout christian doomers so that's never been a problem.

Well, sometimes we have pastor search committee meetings after the morning service, and they can take forever... there's also the possiblity of a potluck dinner... I'm sure I'll make it. :)

i'm not doing anything too gimmicky so you shouldn't have any problems with it. as for good, we'll see :)

Why not? I'd like to do something challenging.
By the way is there any chance you can happen to tell me if the map is supposed to be DM or SP? Just so I can sleep on some ideas?

EarthQuake said:

Why not? I'd like to do something challenging.
By the way is there any chance you can happen to tell me if the map is supposed to be DM or SP? Just so I can sleep on some ideas?

because whenever i try something like that it's either too easy, too hard, or the maps just turn out bad. simple themes seem to generate the best mapsets. and yeah, i can tell you it's sp. if i were going to do a dm set i'd let everyone know in advance or otherwise i'd have a bunch of annoyed people on my hands.

all right uh, my mom just called to tell me my grand-maman died (no surprise there, i visited her in the hospital wednesday), and my grand-papa is having a celebration of life deal over at his place (50 miles away) 2 o'clock sunday. speedmapping runs from 11-12:40 my time. that's running pretty close. as i'm getting picked up and not driving there, i'm not sure how soon i'd be picked up, and although i imagine i could get all the maps before i left i somewhat doubt i'd have the final speedmapping wad put together in time. so

what works for you guys? my personal preference would be to move it to monday (as it's a holiday in the US anyway), or i can start a half hour earlier on sunday, or i can stick to regular schedule and put together a compilation when i get back here, assuming i don't have to leave before speedmapping is up.

Whatever works for you, just be sure to stick it into the newspost with HUGE letters so noone can miss it.

I say either earlier on Sunday or on Monday itself. What are the rules for speedmapping?

boom-compatible. 100 minutes. no new skies, sounds, sprites allowed. doom or doom II. after time's up you get some time to send it to me. if you forget something crucial (such as an exit or keycard) i reserve the right to add them in to make the map playable. follow the theme.

think that about covers it.

Great, except that Monday would be Teh Suck for me (school). [newbie]Also, I can't figure out how to get on any IRC channels, so there's another problem for me.[/newbie]

You can't get on irc? ok, that is pathetic.

Sunday and monday works equally well for me.

You could have somebody accept all the Wads instead of you, compile them, and hold them until you get back (or release the set themselves).

yeah i thought of that idea and then decided i didn't much like it. if i'm going to do the theme i may as well compile the damn thing too. and i don't want to worry about getting it done before i have to go, too much stress for me. i'll just move it over to monday, same time, so yeah, please make that clear on the news article.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

No it's not pathetic - not everyone knows everything about everything. (and we all start out as n00bs)

no, it is pathetic. especially for something as large-scale (and simple) as IRC: http://www.google.com/

Xaser said:

Great, except that Monday would be Teh Suck for me (school). [newbie]Also, I can't figure out how to get on any IRC channels, so there's another problem for me.[/newbie]

Wtf. Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. You shouldn't have school. Or is that only for colleges and gov't institutions?

Job said:

Wtf. Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. You shouldn't have school. Or is that only for colleges and gov't institutions?

school is a gov't institution :P yeah i was a bit confused on that as well, but then i realized i didn't know for sure xazer was american.

Yeah, I am american. My school is pretty messed up, and a lot of times, we get days off for seemingly no reason, but when a minor holiday (by minor I mean a holiday that's not as large scale as Cristmas or Halloween) comes up, a lot of times, we still have to go to school on that day. Therefore, I have no idea what's going to happen on Monday.

Well here at least, we only get 3 minor holidays off, and right now those are Labor Day, MLK day, and Memorial Day. This'll be MLK day so I know I have the day off, kind of figured everyone else did too.

(by minor I mean a holiday that's not as large scale as Cristmas or Halloween)

Wtf? Halloween is a major holiday?
You get out for Halloween, but not for Martin Luther King day?

yeah, good point. i've never had halloween off. i would call it a much bigger holiday though since most people actually celebrate it somewhat :P