Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

How to record demo on vanilla doom

I want to record demos that are compatible for vanilla doom, but I don't know where to start. I heard something about PrBoom having good compatibility with Doom2.exe, but I'm in the dark about these things.

Also, my Doom2.exe, installed with DOS, only allow me to keyboard, but I want to use mouse+keyboard to record demos.

So where do I begin? How do I change my key bindings? And what is the most popular port (if any) to record vanilla doom demos in?

Ummm... to get your detective instincts working - here are some clues (because I don't remember... haha)

Recording demos takes place in your exe's command line. You have to add something to the command line so that when you start DOOM, it will be recording.

Also - the key bindings... Doom generates a config file after you start it. You can edit them in there...

Lastly... in the setup.exe included with DOOM, you should be able to choose Keyboard only, keyboard+mouse, and joystick or something like that.

So... it should be there.

The simplest way is to use prboom 2.2.4. You need to add "-complevel 0" to the command line.

To record a demo (with the original exes or with almost any port), you need to add "-record demoname" to the command line too (where "demoname" = whatever you want to call the demo).

e.g., to record a UV demo on map24 of Hell Revealed:
prboom -complevel 0 -file hr.wad hrmus.wad -warp 24 -skill 4 -record hr24-xxx.lmp

Remember to put something like -maxdemo 1024 in the command line too unless it's definitely going to be quite a short demo.

And yes, if you want to use the original DOS exes, run setup.exe and select whatever options you prefer.

Grazza said:

prboom -complevel 0 -file hr.wad hrmus.wad -record hr24-xxx.lmp

It's better to type the demoname without the .lmp extension. While it's OK with PrBoom, this syntax is invalid with the original exe (and maybe some of the ports, don't know), the demo file just won't be created.

Sure; I'm just not certain whether all ports automatically add it in. (I was in two minds whether to include it in that post.)

But just for clarity, the equivalent in Doom2.exe would be:
doom2 -file hr.wad hrmus.wad -warp 24 -skill 4 -record hr24-xxx

And to play it back:
doom2 -file hr.wad hrmus.wad -playdemo hr24-xxx

Donce said:

It's better to type the demoname without the .lmp extension. While it's OK with PrBoom, this syntax is invalid with the original exe (and maybe some of the ports, don't know), the demo file just won't be created.

This does affect Legacy when playing them back, don't know about when recording as I usually drop the extension for that.

all ports with boom support allow no extension OR an extension. it doesn't care either way.
a good rule is to test it before you try your own 30max movie. :D

Converted DOOMer said:
Also, my Doom2.exe, installed with DOS, only allow me to keyboard, but I want to use mouse+keyboard to record demos.

If you have already run Setup to configure the controls, this is because you still have to install a mouse driver. DOS does not automatically take the mouse, you have to install it (generally by modifying autoexec.bat and copying the necessary mouse files' directory.)