Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tsareppsun

just a little idea......

I was just looking at "28 Days Later" a had a little idea about somthing that might put sum extra "ERRIE" in D3. How the zombies/demons would react to your sudden presence or noise when you happen to enter an area and they don't notice you just yet.

Anybody here remember the CHURCH scene when Jim disturbed the silence by ever so stupidly uttering "Hello?" Notice how quickly some of the infected "SNAPPED" awake and whirled to face him glaring with their mouths hanging wide open and drooling? That was pretty damn errie shit there! And I think would be a cool technique to impliment into some the physical behavior of the zombies and demons.

Just imagine, you creepin' down a corridor and enter a wider area that happens to have a gang of UAC/marines zombies but they don't yet notice you. That's when you can view their regular behavior when they haven't spoted a live human. Zombies slowly walking/dragging around in a dazed state mouning, grouning, chanting errie slured gibbering. And you mistakenly do something stupid like cocking your weapon or brush up against somthing and make a noise. Then everyone instantly snaps their attention at you staring/glaring and hissing with drool hanging at their gapping mouths, just for a few seconds!! Then they start fumbling their weapons to point at you a start cappin at you while advancing.

"SHUDDER" I know that'll have me running on the walls!

thought anyone?

That sounds like a cool approach to "aggroing" enemies. I like it...

But wouldn't the player just shoot them while they stand there and stare at you? Perhaps this technique would better be used in cutscenes than in actual play.

I get the feeling that it'd be better for a survival horror movie a la Resident Evil or Silent Hill.
Doom 3 seems much too action-packed for that.

Nice idea otherwise.

That was my favorite part of 28 days later it gave me the chills.
I think that yea maybe if this was implimented sometimes with the zombies or even just a cutscean that it would add to the scare factor.

Judging from the alpha the ai sort of acts like that. ALot of the zombies *hide* in the shadows then will follow you pretty much wherever you go once they get a bearing on you. Some will just stand there till you shoot em, but im more inclined to think thats a bug than anything else

sniperfrommars1 said:

im more inclined to think thats a bug than anything else

Let's hope it is a bug!

haha

That would be pathetic!

tsareppsun said:

...thought anyone?

If id software is on these boards and they take your suggestions seriously and ruin my precious, precious zombies, I will make you wish your mother never met your father.

On the other hand, they can smell your fear, and thus would already be in a frenzy by the time you got close enough to see them. Neat idea, but as dsm said, not in D3.

mje said:

Let's hope it is a bug!

haha

That would be pathetic!

I thinks that's what happens when you walk into something scripted when you're not supposed to; you are either taking a route that was not intended for the E3 demonstration, or using noclip or something. For example, if on the 2nd map near the end, you look at the tentacle sargeant before you look and see it in the reflection of the glass, you can shoot him and he doesn't notice. Even if you kill him, if you look into the reflection after that point, another tentacle thing will spawn as it was intended to. The E3 demo/illegally leaked alpha is not optimized as a playable demo (no shit, right?)... it was just brought to a state where id could show it off.

[QUOTE]they can smell your fear, and thus would already be in a frenzy by the time you got close enough to see them.[i/]

"Smell your fear?" Where did you learn that? I don't recall id mentioning doom style zombies having animal-like extraordinary perceptions like the ability to smell/sence terror in their victims at a giving distance. Only savage predators born and raised in the harshness of wildlife have only been able to gain that instinct. At least thats what I've learnt.

Zombies are "dead-heads". They shouldn't be smelling jackshit! Just stumbling sacks of stale meat and bones with clothes(or without)on, functioning on motor reflexes or mindless instinct. It should be a miricle they can even HEAR, let alone SEE anything with those dried up dilated eyes.

I always had a realistic zombie perception that after a person dies all of his inner bodily functions would obviously stop operating. No blood traveling through the veins which is why they get blood clot, and which leads to rigor mortis. His lungs are not inhailing nor exhailing air through his dried out voice-box so how is it he could make any sounds at all if he no longer even breathing? Fly Taggart in the doom novels brought out a valid point I think many of us may have overlooked. he mentioned why zombie eyes are always so dry and their vision so bad. Because they never blinked. No functioning motor instintive impulses to keep the eyeballs moist. But the brain, and this (UNKNOWN FORCE)ablity to function even though the rest of his body is dead, will always be unexplainable.

Besides I was just using that scene in "28 day later" as a "situational intensifier" to contribute in the games fear factor, not much else.

"Smell your fear?" Where did you learn that? I don't recall id mentioning doom style zombies having animal-like extraordinary perceptions like the ability to smell/sence terror in their victims at a giving distance. Only savage predators born and raised in the harshness of wildlife have only been able to gain that instinct. At least thats what I've learnt.

Zombies are "dead-heads". They shouldn't be smelling jackshit! Just stumbling sacks of stale meat and bones with clothes(or without)on, functioning on motor reflexes or mindless instinct. It should be a miricle they can even HEAR, let alone SEE anything with those dried up dilated eyes.

I always had a realistic zombie perception that after a person dies all of his inner bodily functions would obviously stop operating. No blood traveling through the veins which is why they get blood clot, and which leads to rigor mortis. His lungs are not inhailing nor exhailing air through his dried out voice-box so how is it he could make any sounds at all if he no longer even breathing? Fly Taggart in the doom novels brought out a valid point I think many of us may have overlooked. he mentioned why zombie eyes are always so dry and their vision so bad. Because they never blinked. No functioning motor instintive impulses to keep the eyeballs moist. But the brain, and this (UNKNOWN FORCE)ablity to function even though the rest of his body is dead, will always be unexplainable.

Firstly, Id has said in a recent interviews/articles that the demons can smell your fear - yes, this might not include the zombies (zombies aren't quite demons straight from Hell), but let's not forget one fact: they're Hell zombies. Hellish forces brought them back to life, not some sort of scientific agent that reanimates dead cells or some other crap that can be scientifically explained.

As such, they're not very "realistic" either (at least not as far as their vision and ability to "live" goes). I dunno why you bring up those ghastly Doom novels with their dry-eyed zombies, because true Doom zombies have cool blazing eyes (and as such, are most likely able to see fairly well - albeit not in the same way as mortal eyes can see).
So not only do I believe that they see very well, but I think it'd be prudent to assume that the hellish forces that brought them back up have 'heightened' their senses to include a "fear smelling" sense.

You know, I disagree with that. I think developers want you to take the game they made seriously. Why else would they put a story in, and make beleivable characters/areas? Doom 3 looks like an atmospheric game that'll give you nightmares. Sure some people take the conversion from Doom to Doom3 far too seriously and try to explain things that were never really meant to be explained in the original doom. Which is why I think Doom 3 will be different in many ways, but I don't think that's a bad thing, I think it's good.

I would love to see those flying balls (from the movie Phantasm)in doom 3, hovering through corridors, that when spotted, fly towards you at high velocity and attach to your forhead, nestling themselves into your brain.

tsareppsun said:

"Smell your fear?" Where did you learn that?

If I was going to go against the forces of Hell, my first act as saviour of the universe would be to fill my panties. It doesn't take a Wild Preditor to smell shit.:P

I found the monster behaviour in System Shock 2 very welldone in this aspect. You first fought against an assortment of strategically placed monsters, the tried and true classic First Person Shooter style. Then, when you re-visited previously cleared areas of the ship, there were some new monsters aimelessly roaming arround, so there was still a level of latent danger (but not in the overwhelming way of whole new "tactical" monster reinforcements, which can be quite annoying).

Also the way the Hybrid mutants roamed arround unaware of you, talking to themselves in a dazed way, added a lot to the athmosphere, and I can imagine well that the Doom3 zombies could behave in a similar way.

The zombies can smell your fear, (well some of em) you remember that zombie commando in the alpha, he says and i quote "i smell FEAR!!!" then runs off to chaingun your face, before the cut scene puts you back in control. I hope thats still in Doom 3, loved the dive and bullets going all over. :D

But in the end, who cares, its only a fictional game to entertain us mindless gaming zombies.

Janderson said:

If I was going to go against the forces of Hell, my first act as saviour of the universe would be to fill my panties. It doesn't take a Wild Preditor to smell shit.:P

ROLF!
And also, per Doom 1, the zombies would be considered the possessed living rather than the living dead, thus explaining the whole "The zombies can't breathe so they can't make sounds, etc. etc." Speaking of which tsareppsun, you must have had a hard time with vampires and werewolves too. ; P

Scabbed Angel said:

ROLF!
And also, per Doom 1, the zombies would be considered the possessed living rather than the living dead, thus explaining the whole "The zombies can't breathe so they can't make sounds, etc. etc." Speaking of which tsareppsun, you must have had a hard time with vampires and werewolves too. ; P

Now hold up now, I thought zombie's WERE the living dead, meaning DEAD corpes somehow reanimated. Now your saying that the doom zombies are "POSSESSED LIVING"? MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WILL YA! If that the case than why everybody keep calling them zombies for? Wouldn't a more accurate name for 'em should be "Mutants" or "the Possessed" then?

And the zombies can't make sounds thing? That just a theory I had came up with cuz in order to make sound, you must use your lunge to inhale/exhale through your voice box to make sound or speak. So if your dead and your lungs are no longer functioning, how would this even be possible? Just a theory.

"Hard time with vampires/werewolves too?" "PSSSST" AHH SHADAAP!(;P)

tsareppsun said:

Now hold up now, I thought zombie's WERE the living dead, meaning DEAD corpes somehow reanimated. Now your saying that the doom zombies are "POSSESSED LIVING"? MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WILL YA! If that the case than why everybody keep calling them zombies for? Wouldn't a more accurate name for 'em should be "Mutants" or "the Possessed" then?

I can't be bothered arguing one way or another, but it's worth noting that in the trailer you see what are presumably spirits take over a living host and transform him into what would be called a zombie.

That's the reason I prefer to call 'em "Former humans" or "possessed soldiers" - much less confusing for us non-native English speakers.

But yes, the term "zombie" doesn't always mean "undead".

There are zombies in real life (they just aren't undead). Someone who's psychologically handicapped could be referred to as a "zombie".

The possessed soldiers in Doom can be referred to as zombies, because they're kinda mindless killers - there's something inhuman and zombie-like to them.
Open up Doom2.wad or Doom.wad in Wintex and check out the sprites. You'll find that the frames for the "zombiesoldier" all have filenames like "Possa1.bmp" - "poss" being short for "possessed".

In my understanding a zombie is a "living dead", a corps reanimated either by magic (Voodoo origins, Doom --> hellish magic) or some kind of physical process (radiation or whatever, like it came up in those Italian zombie movies from the 1970s).

Even the real life Voodoo zombies are meant to be living dead, though in reality it seems to be a combination of faked death and drug induced mind manipulation: http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/z/zombies.html

http://www.forteantimes.com/gallery/zombie.shtml

This is what my English-English dictionary says:

Zom*bie n 1 derog someone who moves very slowly, behaves in a lifeless way etc. 2 (according to certain African and Carribean religions) a dead person who is made to move by magic

I looked it up in another dictionary of mine and got something like this:
(Note: this is something I have translated to English from a non-English language, namely my own)

Zombie n 1.[African snake god]. 2.[living corpse which is under the spell of a sorcerer]. 3. a dull, sluggish person, a will-less person; robot. 4. a rum cocktail.