Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Wolfenstein 3-D source ports

OK - NewWolf screws up the sound badly on this computer... it everytime you make an action, the sound skips (especially music). On my other computer, 45 minutes away, NewWolf works fine, though. Both systems are using Windows XP Professional.

I've never gotten WolfGL to work.

So - are there any other source ports out there for Wolfenstein 3-D?

I don't care if they add OpenGL support or not - I just want to be able to play these games again.

You might have success running the original Wolf3D if you used VDMSound or DosBox (v 0.58 recommended; the new version is much slower).

I may look into that solution.

However, I'm really looking for a source port, because I want to be able to adjust my controls. (WASD and always run, etc)

WolfGL changes TONS of stuff in the game, and I'm not interested in using it. I did get it to work...

But it doesn't even have an enhanced controls setup like NewWolf, and it's definitely out-dated.

Again though, NewWolf has numerous problems on this computer, too.

If there's some other source port, I'd be very interested in knowing about it.

mje said:

Most work with the source is with modding it for TCs.

I remember a non-GL port called dxwolf or something similar, but I can't seem to find it any more. NewWolf does fine for me if I ever want to play it (which isn't too often :P)

mje said:

WolfGL changes TONS of stuff in the game, and I'm not interested in using it. I did get it to work...

But it doesn't even have an enhanced controls setup like NewWolf, and it's definitely out-dated.

Again though, NewWolf has numerous problems on this computer, too.

i saw no differnce in stuff. it just uses openGL over the VGA in DOS. that all the author really did anyways.
as for being out of date... well he did it as an experiment and it is not a serious project for him.

it doesnt add any fancy graphics, just uses openGL for the rendering. thats it

music doesn't work but it is the only port i have gotten to work. so looks like u may be stuck with it

all it really does is change rendering and the save format. nothing else. so what if it is in openGL, that is just to make it more compatible for new video cards. doesnt really change the look, there is not fancy effects

however it is rather buggy and was done as sort of a learning project of the craetor. so i dont expect any updates. sound is funky and aim seems random. other than that it fits the need for a basic modern wolf3d port. comes in windows and unix/linux formats. some sound/video bugs may differ say on linux vs windows, but should run and look the same. give it a shot

Personally, I love NewWolf - but it does have a few bothersome flaws.

Most pronounced is the flaw that you can't complete any of the episodes. For instance, when you splatter Hitler all over the floor, you won't get a Death Cam(TM) sequence and it doesn't cut to the "You win!" screen - Hitler just splatters on the floor and then you can run around in the map as you please (without getting out of course!).

But I like everything else it does.

I would be pretty fine with NewWolf, but for some reason, on this very computer that I'm using, it stutters a lot, and also the sound skips madly. It's nuts.

It's weird because, this is a 1600 MHz, 512 RAM, GeForce ti4200 (256 megs) video system! XP Pro.

My computer at home literally is about half as powerful as this one in all regards and NewWolf works like a dream on it.

And yeah, as you mentioned, dsm, the death cam and victory camera angles are missing - hence no ending/any reward for completing the game.

And the guy is NEVER going to update the thing! He was so close to being basically finished with it!

- fix the camera bugs
- add software rendering toggle (I'd rather play it software mode)
- Add an option to remove that ridiculous amount of blood that they added

And what else? I mean, that's basically all you need to perfect it.

mje said:

- fix the camera bugs
- add software rendering toggle (I'd rather play it software mode)
- Add an option to remove that ridiculous amount of blood that they added

And what else? I mean, that's basically all you need to perfect it.

I've got plenty more wishes for NewWolf - For instance, you don't have to go very far away from a closing door, before the sound becomes ridiculously mute.
I want to hear my doors clang shut from far away damnit, not have to go within ten feet's distance to hear it!

There are lots of mostly small things I would want to have improved in NewWolf - I wish the guy would go back to work on it and actually do some of those improvements.

We need more Wolf3d source port hungry fans!

dsm said:

We need more Wolf3d source port hungry fans!

Man, you said it.

Wolfenstein 3-D has some of the most addictive, simple, fast-paced carnage in any game to date.

Whenever I go back to it, I ALMOST prefer it to DOOM to be honest. It's just got great gameplay, much like an old arcade game or something.

mje said:

Whenever I go back to it, I ALMOST prefer it to DOOM to be honest. It's just got great gameplay, much like an old arcade game or something.

Admittedly, I don't (prefer it to DOOM). But I still love Wolf3d enough to play a map or two once in a while (sometimes, but it's really a rarity, I play through the whole game).

The game possesses a distint charm that even Doom doesn't have (nice-looking treasures, a score system - a distinct prison feel, guards shouting in this funny-sounding pseudo German).

I wish RtCW had had more treasures, more original and "drool-worthy looking" treasures as well as a score system - I don't mind minor arcadey elements in a shooter, no matter how realistic it tries to be otherwise. (In truth, there's an assload I wish RtCW had had).

Dammit, finish NewWolf already! *cries

Yeah...

I think they pretty much got RtCW all wrong. It retained very, very little charm or anything else, raelly, that made the first great.

Come to think of it, there are a COUPLE of places in Return's maps that remind me of part one, where it's just a string of corridors filled with enemies and you get to mow them down with the "venom."

And YES - FINISH NEW WOLF!

I shall email the guy and ask/encourage him about NewWolf.

mje said:
Yeah...

I think they pretty much got RtCW all wrong. It retained very, very little charm or anything else, raelly, that made the first great.

Come to think of it, there are a COUPLE of places in Return's maps that remind me of part one, where it's just a string of corridors filled with enemies and you get to mow them down with the "venom."

I was disappointed with RtCW, but I still thought it was a great game. I still play some of the single player maps. As you said, there were a lot of things they didn't get right (but a few things they did get sorta right, if you looked carefully at your surroundings you'd find small nods at Wolf3d - I liked that).

They didn't put dogs in there, they didn't have ominously clanking steel doors, the pistols were way too pathetic, there were no pale white zombie mutants with guns sticking out of their chests and they didn't have a golden and silver key.
Furthermore, there were waaay too few secrets (with an avarage of around two secrets per map - wtf was up with that!?), the treasures weren't as nicely done (they sure didn't have the "ooh shiny gold!" feel of the original) and the Nazis barely spoke any German worth noting.

In RtCW's defense, however, I will say that I loved the arsenal (except for the fact that some of the weapons were unbalanced and the pistols were too weak) and I loved most of the enemies. The new incarnation of BJ was also pretty awesome imo as far as looks go.

I shall email the guy and ask/encourage him about NewWolf. [/B]

I already did that half a year ago - never got a response.

Well the source code for NewWolf is available if anyone wishes to continue it.

I dabbled with it a while ago, just to change the resolution (when it used to be locked at 640x480).