Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Saving Seven Seconds

Andrey Budko has let us know that he has finished his re-recording of his Doom 2 tools-assisted speedrun, this ending up at a time of 14:41. Not only is it a nice palindrome, but it's also seven seconds shorter than his previous run. You can, of course, find it at his Doom site, and watch it in vanilla Doom 2, prBoom, or Eternity.

Alright, I'll download this and check it out in Eternity. I figured we'd see another one considering he seemed a little unsatisfied in the txt file of the last one.

EDIT: Yay, first post! Two in a row...

Someone should do a 2 player multiplayer speed run through doom2 on ultra violence, NOT allowing rocket jumps. So that we have a more lengthy more enjoyable movie to watch. I'd really like to see this. I've done it before, but like 8 years ago, without connecting lmps together, or using any tools. You can check it out here if you want:

http://www.geocities.com/couvier2000/doom2.html

And check out Sdoom2.lmp

Asking speedrunners not to use tricks is a bit like asking them not to breathe, but perhaps you'd find some of these interesting.

Nothing wrong with restricting tricks, but you're going to have to be arbitrary. What else would you exclude? Are strafe running, item/switch grabbing, Arch-Vile jumps and wall running, for instance, also "problems"? I don't see how an awesome rocket jump necessarily makes a run less enjoyable visually or anything.

One possibility could be excluding the most obvious tricks and obliging the player to use the routes the designers planned. From there what would count would be sheer movement excellence and speed. And interesting idea, and nothing wrong with a run like that...

But then again, one of the charms of speed running as an activity is finding unusual quirks and tricks that'll allow players to beat otherwise almost optimal runs.

Am I the only one that finds the Gallery section of his site somewhat... strange?

ukiro said:

Am I the only one that finds the Gallery section of his site somewhat... strange?

The guy must be Scuba Steve's long lost twin.

ukiro said:

Well...I dunno dick about art.

I guess an improvement of the goofy txt was too much to hope for.

Andy_Johnsen said:

I guess an improvement of the goofy txt was too much to hope for.

What you interests? What do you want that I have written in txt?

ukiro said:

To understand it - it`s necessary to know Russian and to read "Story"

Bloodshedder said:

...and watch it in vanilla Doom 2 ...

Not quite sure how to make it work with vanilla DooM2.

ReX said:

Not quite sure how to make it work with vanilla DooM2.

doom2 -playdemo 30uv1441

the coop speed movies at the compet-n are nice, but not very good considering todays demo recording standard (they are slower than current solo records).
But still I think they are very enjoyable to watch, especially the 30uvnet3 and I still think the 30uv I did with selim is rather fun to watch.

Also, I am looking for any motivated doomer in california that would like to do some runs for the compet-n or for pwads/SDA. I would also like to play casually and do some DM...

Couvier : check the runs at the compet-n, u used skill 1 for your run. But some guys did the same thing without dying in skill 4 and even in skill 5 ! just crazy... :)

entryway said:

To understand it - it`s necessary to know Russian and to read "Story"

What is there to understand? It's the wacky adventures of a plastic flying penis, who among other things, must deal with his unintentional knack for multiplying rapidly.

Andrey Budko rules... great run dude.

btw I know a Ukrainian girl here, she works in my wineries lab.
She says she speaks better russian than Ukrainian, cause she's old and during soviet time Ukrainian was not allowed.

entryway said:

"- A of pokhuy! Not it ebet!"

As a lovely Russian girl once said to me "Better not to know these words".

ukiro said:

Uh, no you're not.

well, current compet-n record for map24 is 33 seconds, ups!!!!
Uhm, yes I haven't uploaded 33 yet on compet-n :) but I will...
Keep on dooming!

"- A of pokhuy! Not it ebet!"
As a lovely Russian girl once said to me "Better not to know these words".

as far as I know 'Khuy' more or less means Dick/Prick/Cock
and 'ebet' is close to 'fuck' ?

Grazza said:

doom2 -playdemo 30uv1441

Many thanks. I couldn't get it to work because I put .lmp at the end of the file name.

Xit, where do you live actually ?

I only have a laptop with WinXP, so i cannot play doom2.exe unless someone lends me a Win98 comp with USB ports for my mouse.

VinceDSS said:

Xit, where do you live actually ?

I only have a laptop with WinXP, so i cannot play doom2.exe unless someone lends me a Win98 comp with USB ports for my mouse.

Just use a sourceport, mon ami.