Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

The State of Union Address

Dude, it was unbelieveable! Bushe deficated out his mouth for 2 straight min-I mean 54 straight minutes!

LOOK I LOVE POLITICS BUSH SUCKS DEMOCRATS SUCK REPUGLBIANCS SUCK. Don't any of you ever get tired of just bashing back and forth with eachother. Oh, I didn't get to watch it by the way.

Ct_red_pants said:

He said something about trying to change the constitution to outlaw gay marriage.

That does it...the revolution starts NOW!!!!!

I fell asleep this afternoon and slept through it :/

As UV said, is there a transcript available anywhere?

I feel an mst3k coming on...

Piece_O_Mind said:

That does it...the revolution starts NOW!!!!!

If only...

I wonder when the US military as a whole will realize that when they signed up they took an oath to the country and upholding our freedoms and way of life and that Bush stands against all that. They may be sworn to obey the commander-in-chief, but I am familiar with the oath and that is not the primary emphasis of it.

I worked for the Army/Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES), and I was required to take the same oath because I was technically employed by the government. I feel like such a liar having signed that and now finding that there is nothing at all I can do. If there was anyone to stand with, though, any hope of making a difference, a way to undo my lie, I would gladly help this country... I just wish I had the opportunity.

Blah...I'm too scared of what he had to say. Probably something about killing someone...

I said:
He said something about trying to change the constitution to outlaw gay marriage.

that's odd, according to msn.com, he spouted a bunch of crap about defending the family, but stoped short of suggesting changing the constitution. But I just herd on the radio a sample of him bad mouthing the courts for saying it's unconstitutional to outlaw same sex marriage. I dunno.

Edit: No, I what right after all, I uhhh... withdraw this withdraw.

Ct_red_pants said:

*sigh* I heard about this, and there are so many things wrong with it that I don't know where to begin. A similar idea is talked about here in Minnesota, and should either a federal mandate or state be implimented I actually plan to take to the capital in protest, or hold one of my own here in my hometown. This is outrageous.

This would probably mark the first time in History that the Constitution was modified to take AWAY civil liberties for the human race.

NiGHTMARE said:

Fodders: Umm, that's the 2003 speech :)

"And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed people of Iraq: Your enemy is not surrounding your country, your enemy is ruling your country."

(APPLAUSE)

Are you sure????

Ct_red_pants said:

He did indeed

A strong America must also value the institution of marriage. I believe we should respect individuals as we take a principled stand for one of the most fundamental, enduring institutions of our civilization. Congress has already taken a stand on this issue by passing the Defense of Marriage Act, signed in 1996 by President Clinton. That statute protects marriage under Federal law as the union of a man and a woman, and declares that one state may not redefine marriage for other states. Activist judges, however, have begun redefining marriage by court order, without regard for the will of the people and their elected representatives. On an issue of such great consequence, the people's voice must be heard. If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process. Our Nation must defend the sanctity of marriage.

I believe that same sex marriage should be legal. Not giving homosexuals the same rights as anyone else goes against all our country was founded upon.

Now, of course churches would be against it, but what is so wrong about giving them a marriage license so they are legally married in the eyes of the state?

Scuba Steve said:
This would probably mark the first time in History that the Constitution was modified to take AWAY civil liberties for the human race.

...If so, I assure you, it will not be the last. Once the ball gets rolling...(I'm thinking for example on Germany, early 30s).

BBG said:
I believe that same sex marriage should be legal. Not giving homosexuals the same rights as anyone else goes against all our country was founded upon.

Indeed.

Unfortunately, most people don't want to attribute the same rights and freedoms to people they don't consider "the same" as themselves. After all, "they" do not act like 'we" so "they" cannot be the same people as "we", and treating "them" as "us" is thus Impossible and unheard off. Because "they" are not "us", "they" cannot be Patriotic. Not truely American. "They" bring "our" Great Fatherland down. All problems are caused by "them" and "their ways". In fact, in the interest of the Great Fatherland "we" should put all of "them" on some island, or better: incarcerate, sterilize, kill. Let's now march and Liberate the rest of the planet by stamping out everything that isn't "us". Hail the Great Leader, who received His Wisdom directly from God. Hail! Hail!

Now, of course churches would be against it, but what is so wrong about giving them a marriage license so they are legally married in the eyes of the state?

I don't know how it is over there, but here it's the other way around. A church marriage doesn't give you any legal grounds and is purely ceremonial. You have to be married by a local administrator, usually at the town hall, in order to become legally married. So most people actually marry twice... once at town hall, followed by a second time at the altar.

Mordeth said:
Unfortunately, most people don't want to attribute the same rights and freedoms to people they don't consider "the same" as themselves. After all, "they" do not act like 'we" so "they" cannot be the same people as "we", and treating "them" as "us" is thus Impossible and unheard off. Because "they" are not "us", "they" cannot be Patriotic. Not truely American. "They" bring "our" Great Fatherland down. All problems are caused by "them" and "their ways". In fact, in the interest of the Great Fatherland "we" should put all of "them" on some island, or better: incarcerate, sterilize, kill. Let's now march and Liberate the rest of the planet by stamping out everything that isn't "us". Hail the Great Leader, who received His Wisdom directly from God. Hail! Hail!

Mordeth has win.

Ct_red_pants said:

Mordeth has win.

Indeed; anybody dumb enough to want to get married should be allowed to :P

Yes, including those that want to marry their pets, lawnmowers or the nearest boulder or a clone of Charlemagne, those that have sex change operations so they can marry themselves, and even those that want to do all of the above.

BBG said:

Not to mention, I don't think any of us want to envision a "million 'mo march" on the capital.

Ichor said:
Yes, including those that want to marry their pets, lawnmowers or the nearest boulder or a clone of Charlemagne, those that have sex change operations so they can marry themselves, and even those that want to do all of the above.

So if I understand you correctly, you do not want to give homosexuals (ie. two consenting adults) the same legal marriage grounds as everybody else because you equate those two consenting adults to various animals or inanimate objects and nobody wants THOSE to have legal marriage grounds?

Can I yell at you now, or should I wait and see if that is indeed what you meant?

I meant that marriage was defined as being between a man and a women. When that definition is removed (and it looks like it will soon), it will start with homosexual marriage, but there will be other people who will use this to take it even further. For instance, when the Supreme Court struck down that sodomy law, Rehnquist (I think it was him anyway) warned that it will lead to other things. If I remember right, just recently, someone filed a lawsuit because he wanted to have bigamy legalized because it's a privacy issue. No, I don't think homosexual marriage is the same as what I mentioned in the previous post (which are the most extreme cases), but changing the definition of marriage from what it was originally intended would set a bad precedent and open the door for far bigger problems.

Ralphis said:

LOOK I LOVE POLITICS BUSH SUCKS DEMOCRATS SUCK REPUGLBIANCS SUCK. Don't any of you ever get tired of just bashing back and forth with eachother.

No kidding. It's like everyone thinks their opinion really matters somehow. Yeah, that's why bush is president. Like everyone is honestly that concerned with Iraqi children.

Quast said:

It's like everyone thinks their opinion really matters somehow.

Those with power want to make you think that your opinion doesn't matter. Are you that easily influenced?

Ichor said:
I meant that marriage was defined as being between a man and a women. (...) but changing the definition of marriage from what it was originally intended would set a bad precedent and open the door for far bigger problems.

You mean, a bigger problem than continuing this kind of discrimination..? Maybe you should get out more, and meet some of "them". Then try and explain to them why their love for their partner is considered to be inferior to the love between heterosexual people.

Just a reminder, kid. Not that long ago women were not allowed to vote, and "all men are created equal" did not apply to them. Black people were considered inferior, hardly even human, and certainly not worthy of the same rights and freedoms as normal white men.

They did change that. But maybe you ought to have been black and female to really understand what I'm talking about. Well, if you can't find any homosexuals (and that IS difficult, considering they actually look about the same as everybody else) maybe you ought to try and find a black female and talk with HER about why it's bad to change definitions.

Now that I agree with. Blacks and women should be allowed to vote and should have the same rights as everyone else, since we're all human, and yes homosexuals, being human as well, should also have the same rights. I mean, they aren't prohibited from marying a woman (or in a woman's case, a man) like everyone else, and they aren't forbidden to vote, own property, or own guns. And I don't mind what they do to themselves, since that's their business. However, they (and that goes for women and people of any race) shouldn't get preferential treatment over any other, which is what I believe homosexual marriage is.