Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Win DEU doesn't work with WinXP?

Just felt like making another doom level, although since my last one I've installed Win XP, and now (like many other things) Win DEU crashes whenever I load a WAD file. Any way to get around it, or any editiors similar to Win DEU (I don't think I'd have the patience to learn another editor).

Thanks.

WinDEU is the editor of the ancients nowadays. Try Doom Builder (free), like Linguica said, or DeepSea (limited shareware) or WadAuthor (shareware I think). Believe me, it's worth learning them.

If you're trying out Doom Builder, then check out this tutorial made especially for it: http://megawad.newdoom.com/db.shtml

I was using WinDEU for years, and moved over to Doom Builder a month or two ago. It's very easy to pick up, and cuts hours off all the manual stuff you had to do in WInDEU yourself. There's a few rules you need to learn about how to draw sectors first, but once you have these easy basics it's really not hard to get maps done, and quickly too, at all.

I was using DoomCAD for 6+ years, and had no difficulty in moving to DB. In fact, even using 0.2, I was immediately mapping twice as fast as I could on DoomCAD. That said, DoomCAD is also probably the slowest editor ever created (slow but methodical at least).

DoomBuilder is the best editor I can think of. My first maps were done with DoomCAD and WinDUE, they took about a month each. My latest map, with doombuilder, took 4 DAYS!!!