Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiowas

Doom2's source code.

Howdy all.

I've noticed that idsoftware.com has the Linux source code available for download. Does anyone have it for windows/DOS yet? - (yes, I'm having evil thoughts...) I really don't want to install Linux just for this...

id cannot release the original DOS source to the general public for legal reasons (uses 3rd party libs and extensions).

Use one of the DOS ports as a starting point (early DosDoom if you really must start with something close to original Doom; Boom or MBF if you want something a little more debugged).

Can't you take a Linux box and convert it to text, then copy it over to a Dos/Win machine?

Converting the source archive to a DOS format is not the problem. However the source code inside only compiles on Linux and for Linux. Porting it to run on DOS is not and was not easy. The work has already been done, so take advantage of it :-)

So, let me get this strait. Forget downloading the source from id. You're telling me to start with ZDoom or one of the other ports, right? So, ZDoom IS the modified original Doom(2) engine, right?

Or would their be an advantage to decompiling my Doom2.exe?

BTW - what was Doom2 written in? And what was ZDoom written in?

So, let me get this strait. Forget downloading the source from id. You're telling me to start with ZDoom or one of the other ports, right?

Yes.

So, ZDoom IS the modified original Doom(2) engine, right?

Yes, all the ports are. (ZDoom has some bits from other games too.) Which port you choose decides how modified you get.

Or would their be an advantage to decompiling my Doom2.exe?

Depends if you like the food in jail.

BTW - what was Doom2 written in? And what was ZDoom written in?

Doom - C. ZDoom I think uses C++ these days.

The DOOM source code is licensed under the GNU Public License, which makes it free software. The license specifically states that you may make any modifications to the source whatsoever, but that in the case you distribute any resulting binaries, you MUST provide equally free access to the source code.

http://www.gnu.org/

Then, why did he say that modifying the doom.exe source is illegal?

The original game exacutables remain copyrighted, and contain proprietary code which id aren't able to make public.

However id were able to release the complete source code to their Linux port of Doom, which was based on same core game code. All the ports are based off of this original Doom source code.

Summary: using the public Doom source is legal (subject to the GPL conditions). Hacking the original executables is not.

Well, how much, (if anything), is missing from the "source ports" like ZDoom? Is the original executable still required? I had heard that you only need the .wad that you wanted to play.