Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Krivanka

Whatt is the most popular editor?

Hi wahts the most popular editer out there that is good ^_^ I wanna try something other than wad author thxbai

Doom builder is probably the most popular free editor, but DeePsea is also pretty popular, but its not free. There is a freeware version of it, but it has limits.

Doombuilder is god. I was a hardcore WADED user and even I changed after seeing all the nutty goodness it has.

(Plus, WADED didn't support nonstandard textures very well, now that I have Doombuilder I built my first map with customs.)

Deepsea is pretty popular and is what I use, but lately Doom Builder has been getting a lot of attention.

I have been using Deu 5.21, but I have been having problems. I cannot create a level larger than approx. 160 kbs, and there is some glitching and hom in levels when there shouldn't be.
I recently downloaded Doombuilder to replace DEU, but the interface is overly complicated, and there aren't any easy menus like in DEU (ie: pressing Enter in DEU brings up a whole options list for any thing, linedef, sector, etc).
Are there any new versions of DEU or something like that (easy interface) that work with Doom 2 and have levelsize limits of more than approx 160 kbs?

I like using DCK 3.62. It only works in DOS mode, but the limits are a lot higher. There is no limit on the size of the map that I have found, though.

nm on the doombuilder thing. I just realized that a right click does what the Enter key did in DEU. Problem solved.

Wadauthor is pretty popular. I use Wintex, Doombuilder and Wadauthor. Wadauthor for the building of the levels, Wintex for the graphics, music etc. and Doombuilder for the 3D mode.

I use Deepsea, and I keep it updated regularly. For me it is the most complete editor out there. There has been alot of attention to DoomBuilder lately, mostly because it's free. I'm sure that DoomBuilder will develop into a fantastic editor but I am partial to Deepsea. Everything for developing levels is built right into Deepsea, I don't have to use any other editing tool. It's true that the 3-D preview mode in DoomBuilder is very cool for aligning textures and the such, but I've become pretty good at aligning textures and really don't need that "feature." Deepsea has become a great editor over time, and it has become that way thru trial and error over the years. Doombuilder has that potential, but it will take time, but it'll get there.

I'll stick with Deepsea, free or not.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

He asked what was most popular, not what people individually like best. And I think nowadays that's probably Doom Builder.

That's actually the same question isn't it? IOW look up the word popular: "Widely liked or appreciated".

Anyway, I'm happy to see that the concepts of DeePsea are being embraced, whether it's in DeePsea or not :) Of course I consider DOOM editing tools in a much broader scope, but that's another story.

The DeePsea 3D texture mode thingy is in beta right now, but I might change to a different method. ATM it uses a real game engine as the method, but I might change this. Advantage is that it looks very much like it does in the game. I was not too motivated before since there really isn't that much time saving here vs the existing alignment tools. It's just a lot more fun :)

No, it's not the same thing, because the sample set is far smaller this way. He asked scrictly for the most popular editor, he didn't ask for everyone's favorite editor in order to deduce what was most popular. That said, I can see why people might say DeepSEA, as it is indeed, still fairly popular.

I used to be a WadAuthor-using heathen. But a few weeks ago I learned the glory that is DoomBuilder. Grin. Oh, err, I mean... *Grins*

Cadman said:

It's true that the 3-D preview mode in DoomBuilder is very cool for aligning textures and the such, but I've become pretty good at aligning textures and really don't need that "feature."

WTF? You're not really being sarcastic, are you? I would call DB's 3D preview much more useful of a quote unquote "feature" than 95% of the stuff shoveled into Deep.

Linguica, before you start asking for trouble with your new mega-cool-and-whatnot Deepsea bashing post, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, crack downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of Deepsea bashing posts that actually never turned into a flamewar.

heh, Erik uses DB without touching the 3d mode. for some people, it can be faster not to bother. but i think it's a useful tool for anyone, it allows me to make really precise cuts when working with specific textures (i can't really imagine anyone manually using heights such as 137 or 5, but they can look quite nice depending on what textures you're working with). agreed though, 3d mode is hardly a feature to scoff at considering it's far more useful than most of deepsea's "features".

that said, i was using db before i knew 3d mode was even in the works because that's not nearly the only good thing about the editor.

Doombuilder is god. I was a hardcore WADED user and even I changed after seeing all the nutty goodness it has.

Same with me...I was a WADED user, but Doombuilder made me a changed man. Thank god too, WADED freezed up on me every minute

yeah, now that I use db for texture alignment I'm actually adjusting inset sectors to match the textures around it, and it makes adjusting everything a snap... I still use WA to actually make the map tho

Linguica said:

WTF? You're not really being sarcastic, are you? I would call DB's 3D preview much more useful of a quote unquote "feature" than 95% of the stuff shoveled into Deep.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. There is nothing wrong with Doombuilder, the 3D feature is a great feature and I firmly believe Doombuilder will be one of the great editors out there over time. As the bugs get squashed it will really look good! For me, Deepsea has it all and I appreciate that "95%" of the stuff that's shoveled into it. I'm more confortable with it and so on and so forth.

I congratulate all the people that are involved with the ongoing work of Doombuilder, keep it up guys! Besides, Deep has let it be known that he has been working for some time on his own style of a 3D preview. So there is a good chance I may see the grand and glorious 3D preview mode in Deepsea in the future without having to switch editors.

Deepsea - A great editor! Has good support and always implementing new features and tweaking the old features.

Doombuilder - A great editor! Same thing here, has good support and always implementing new features. The good support means that the ongoing squashing of bugs makes it better and better...:)

Take your pick...:)

Yeah, I know...Doombuilder is free and Deepsea you pay for which is why a good portion of our mappers here are using Doombuilder. You get the full version without having to pay for it. It used to be an ongoing argument on the forums and in some cases it still is. It used to be between WadAuthor and Deepsea, but since any updates to WadAuthor have not been forthcoming for a long time and in reality you had to pay $20 for WA as well. It seems as if Doombuilder has taken the limelight. The magic word is "free", or with some people it's "warez," that's a nasty word here as well as it should be.

It's been talked about enough here, you guys keep making those great levels with your favorite editor....thanks everyone!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

lol, those "whats the best..." kind of topics always have to turn out in an argument. But what does it matter? Everybody just uses what he likes best, its just a matter of preference in this case.

Krivanka brought his post as "the most popular editor" but that should not matter. If you are new to editing, I suggest you try some editors and use what you like best.

CodeImp said:

lol, those "whats the best..." kind of topics always have to turn out in an argument. But what does it matter? Everybody just uses what he likes best, its just a matter of preference in this case.

You got that right...:) It's always been one of the most popular "topics" of them all. "I hate Deepsea because....", or "WadAuthor sucks because....", or "Doombuilder rocks because....". It's great, I just don't like it when it gets personal. Usually in one form or another the verbal barrage gets aimed at the author(s) of the product...bah! Gee, it's Doom people! A game, nothing more, have fun at it.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Cadman said:

Usually in one form or another the verbal barrage gets aimed at the author(s) of the product...bah!

If it's the author of DeepSea I couldn't care less! :-D

Graf Zahl said:

If it's the author of DeepSea I couldn't care less! :-D

See, I told you....:)

Cadman - Member TeamTNT