Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

dont believe everything

in the news there is alot, i mean alot, of stupid shit. however even some real things are incorrect

2 examples on the local level
during 9/11 there was a brush fire in a field. the local news came out and stated a plain was down, despite the fact this was 5 in the afternoon. only 20 minutes later did they say "oh it was a brush fire" however this had paniced everone

a few months ago a fire fighter had been killed by a pet snake. they said he had been care flighted to cincinatti and that anti-venom was only minutes late. i forget how long they said he "hung in" recently we talked to the widow. she was upset that the media had "played" this accident. the man was dead within 15 minutes and that was before she got him to the hospital.

It sure sounds alot more exciting to say "he died, moments before he could be saved!" doesn't it?

Can't trust a thing man.

Media everywhere is fucked. Recently, a teacher got shot in the head. Several newsstations were reporting that he had been transferred to a hospital by ambulance while other newsstations reported he had been transferred with a helicopter. How can you not see the difference?

NiGHTMARE said:

Please don't confuse the American media with the media as a whole. kthxbye.

No, I can assure you that the media in Canada and/or Britain is NOTHING like this. If a journalist in Canada were to pull something like that, they'd be put through an inquiry.

Again, we never have to put up with stuff like that.

BULLShit you just think that. we here in america atlest know to expect our media to be full of shit. ergo we dont trust it. but when one of your media people pull somthing you dont hear shit about it cause you trust them.

Tabloid media are the same everywhere, I'm afraid. It might be against the law, but people are so used to it that they don't notice or care.

Fredrik said:

Tabloid media are the same everywhere, I'm afraid. It might be against the law, but people are so used to it that they don't notice or care.

Indeed, I've heard a few stories about how our media fucked up the truth and I believe it's exactly the same in Canada and in Britain.
Edit: In fact, I KNOW it's exactly like that in England (England, not necessarily the rest of Britain) - might even be worse than here.

Again, all I can say is that I've regularly watch the news, both Canadian newshours and captions on American stations, and there is A WORLD of difference. I highly doubt that any of you watch Canadian news; correct me if I'm wrong.

When one of your media people pull something, you dont hear about it because you trust them.

I find that comment to be random and unsubstantiated. I watch the news quite a bit, and never have I seen them exaggerate a situation and then downplay it later. Is it not possible that the Canadian media simply holds itself to an incredibly high standard of objectivity? Why else would it, and the BBC, be praised and respected throughout the world?

We're fortunate that we can trust the Canadian media because they have had the discipline to develop a tradition of trust. They're not competing for ratings, and that means that they don't have to pull any stupid, cheap tricks to get people's attention. They simply never state more than the known facts. With the brush fire example, instead of saying "plane is reported down," the CBC would say ... not a freaking thing. What the heck is newsworthy about a unknown disturbance on someone's farm?

By the away, I apoligize in advance for writing such a scattered and orderless message. I'm in a bit of a rush.

Check this out.

As Fark.com put it:
Penny Arcade's $200,000 donation to Seattle Children's Hospital becomes "nearly a thousand dollars" and from "a local catholic school" thanks to incompetent media coverage

I do trust the news on national publicly funded Swedish TV. I also trust most newspapers with more than 50 words on the first page.

Sephiroth said:

during 9/11 there was a brush fire in a field. the local news came out and stated a plain was down, despite the fact this was 5 in the afternoon. only 20 minutes later did they say "oh it was a brush fire" however this had paniced everone

That's nothing. I have a recording of the 9-11 incident, which clearly shows Building 7(I think) collapsing BEFORE either tower fell. Nothing from the initial crashes could've caused this. It had to have been imploded(i.e. strapped with explosives), otherwise there is no explanation.

Oh, and it'd behoove you to look up the extraordinary amount of evidence and first-hand accounts of knowledge of an attack resembling the 9-11 massacre, even up to 9-10.

AndrewB said:

Again, all I can say is that I've regularly watch the news, both Canadian newshours and captions on American stations, and there is A WORLD of difference. I highly doubt that any of you watch Canadian news; correct me if I'm wrong.

I watch Canadian news all the time ;). I find atlantic Canada news is even more trustable... cause most atlantic Canadians are gentle trustworthy people ;)

For some reason, Canadian broadcasts are banned where I live. I have no idea why.

I've been watching more and more PBS lately (we get 3 of them, KCET, KCLE, and KOCE). Charlie Rose, Tavis Smiley, Globe Trekkers, good stuff. I'm not a big fan of Classic Arts Showcase though.