Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stealth

Are there any REAL Doom fans here or not?

Now, lately I've heard all sorts of hoopla about the engine, id, and all the millions of billions you'll need to play the game. But is there anyone out there that just can't wait to play the game...to feel that fear and terror wash over there bodies like a bloody shower from hell!

Really, I know the only "new" evolution of Doom this time is D3's new engine, and as beautiful as it looks, the game is really what matters. Does anyone think that they'll really enjoy the game when it's out? Even after all the talk and opinions being thrown around?

It's obvious that id is really going for story this time otherwise they wouldn't spend the money and energy hiring a writer to cook up some space story for a 10 year old game.

I think once again I'll be sleeping with my lights on...

stealth said:
It's obvious that id is really going for story this time otherwise they wouldn't spend the money and energy hiring a writer to cook up some space story for a 10 year old game.

Heh, were have you BEEN? :)

I'll start getting excited about the game when they at least announce a release date. Until then, there really is no point in getting all worked up as if it was being released tomorrow. However, when it does finally come out, you can bet that I will be playing it for hours on end, especially once I reach the Hell levels (that's assuming they're in the game).

Ichor said:

especially once I reach the Hell levels (that's assuming they're in the game).

Where have YOU been? ;-)
Yes, there'll be Hell levels - it's been mentioned a bunch of times by Id now.

I'm almost totally sure that Hell will be there, but you never know what may happen by the time it's released. Besides, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than know everything about the game beforehand. I'm even reluctant to look at some of the screenshots sometimes.

supprise is good, that is when its a good supprise. like if your parents told you a week before what you were gonna get on christmas (or chaunika or ramadan or kwanzi or WHATEVER you heatheans call it) it wouldn't be so cool when the day came. thats how it is if they tell you every thing about doom before its even out!

I'm afraid of being disappointed. I don't have as much faith in id as I once did. The evolution of the Quake series has been the main cause of that. Having played the alpha, I'd say it has decent potential, but it seems so dissimilar to Doom as I know it. It doesn't have that intangible "Doom feel" to it. Yes, I know it's only a beta, but still, some things can be ascertained that early.

Yeaaa to me it will be fun but its not going to be a legend for me like the first doom games.
But hopefully im wrong and it will be spectacular.

Job said:

I'm afraid of being disappointed. I don't have as much faith in id as I once did. The evolution of the Quake series has been the main cause of that. Having played the alpha, I'd say it has decent potential, but it seems so dissimilar to Doom as I know it. It doesn't have that intangible "Doom feel" to it. Yes, I know it's only a beta, but still, some things can be ascertained that early.

I'm glad it won't play exactly like the old Doom. That would be pretty crappy, imo. I do think the alpha had a Doomish feel to it, though.

Shaviro said:

I'm glad it won't play exactly like the old Doom. That would be pretty crappy, imo.

Yeah, Serious Sam, only in better environments and cooler monsters.

/Imagines what RtCW would've been like if it only had four weapons like Wolf3d :-P

dsm said:

/Imagines what RtCW would've been like if it only had four weapons like Wolf3d :-P

Remember, I'm not saying I want the game to play exactly like Doom. You'd be right to say that would be pretty lame. But what I am saying is that the game is still a part of the Doom franchise, and that causes me to demand that there is that "intangible Doom" feeling I was talking about. Not the implementation of sprites and 2D weapons. I don't think that entirely what causes Doom to project the feeling it does comes from it's dated technology. Where it comes from is the mood and feeling that it evokes. That's my point.

Job said:

Yes, I know it's only a beta

Heh it's not even that, it's an alpha (hence 'Doom alpha') :P

I don't see what the big fuss is about, so what if it does or doesn't live up to the old doom legacy, i'm glad ID are making a new doom game period!

I'm pretty sure ID won't let me down, if its made by them and they are happy with it, i'm happy with it, its their game, their idea's. So i have nothing to complain about, i'm just gonna sit back and enjoy a game worth playing.

Job said:
I don't think that entirely what causes Doom to project the feeling it does comes from it's dated technology. Where it comes from is the mood and feeling that it evokes. That's my point.

Definitely...I think that's the most important part of any game. The feeling you get from it: bad feeling...bad game, good feeling...good game.

But that engine don't hurt! :D

NiGHTMARE said:

Heh it's not even that, it's an alpha (hence 'Doom alpha') :P

Heh, I meant alpha.

It can never be the original. Unless they make the graphics true CGI quality, and ship the supercomputers that could render that with them, there is no room for the revolutionary jump in technology which made Doom what it was in the first place. It will be a very good game though.

I really hope the game succeeds, And then I really hope they also release a great "THICK" soft cover novel with afew ingame action pics inside. I hope the new authors have a strong, indepth, and very "BIZZARE" creative sense of SCI-FI and HORROR.

I think a story version of doom would definitely add to the experience, but the original doom games were never meant to have a "real" story, just a gameplay revolution, so I wonder what id and Castello can put together.

Job said:

Remember, I'm not saying I want the game to play exactly like Doom. You'd be right to say that would be pretty lame. But what I am saying is that the game is still a part of the Doom franchise, and that causes me to demand that there is that "intangible Doom" feeling I was talking about. Not the implementation of sprites and 2D weapons. I don't think that entirely what causes Doom to project the feeling it does comes from it's dated technology. Where it comes from is the mood and feeling that it evokes. That's my point.

Relax, I was joking with the RtCW thing :-P
I did more or less understand your point (I didn't feel that classic Doom was specifically "intangible" btw - to me it was just an awesome concept in any way, made into a truly badass action game), though I did fail to understand it as "it doesn't have to play exactly like the old game".

so what if it does or doesn't live up to the old doom legacy, i'm glad ID are making a new doom game period!

My sentiments echoed, though I'd definitely prefer if it lived up to the legacy of the original - that'd just be awesome :-)

It can never be the original. Unless they make the graphics true CGI quality, and ship the supercomputers that could render that with them, there is no room for the revolutionary jump in technology which made Doom what it was in the first place. It will be a very good game though.

Arrrhh, never say never. To my eyes, they got the graphics revolutionary enough. I had never imagined that we had reached the point where in-game graphics almost looked like a CGI quality film (and it does once you see it in motion! Screw the slight blockyness!) until I saw the Macworld vid two-three years ago.
And as far as the feel, gameplay and entertainment value goes, we don't really know yet. Everything I've read on gameplay up till this point has made me ever more excited about the game, and that's a good sign.

Having said that, I don't believe Doom 3 will be as great as the original, but I keep in mind that Id may yet surprise me in a big way (which is what I hope they do despite the bit of scepticism which I keep hidden well away from prying eyes).

I think a story version of doom would definitely add to the experience, but the original doom games were never meant to have a "real" story, just a gameplay revolution, so I wonder what id and Castello can put together.

Yeah well Doom was made back when a story was less crucial - times have changed, and Id will have to reinvent Doom to make the game great (and by the looks of it, I'd say they've succeeded in reinventing Doom) :-)
A non-story game just wouldn't cater as much to the masses as the original Doom did.

stealth said:

the original doom was gameplay, doom64 and final were designed to scare the shit out of you more than the originals, and hopefully doom3 will continue that tradition.

TH-555 said:

the original doom was gameplay, doom64 and final were designed to scare the shit out of you more than the originals, and hopefully doom3 will continue that tradition.

Hmm, funny.
Final Doom positively seemed less scary to me. Doom 64 had scary music and a scary atmosphere, but the monsters looked so cartoonish and at times laughable that it had even less chance of scaring me than the originals.

Doom 3, however, seems to have a much better chance at scaring me than any of the predecessors, but it's not what I'm concerned with the most: I want an immersive experience that is cool and entertaining. I've no doubt that Doom 3 will be top-notch in the immersiveness - the entertaining part is what I'vw got most reason to be concerned. But signs are good in that department too, but as always, I'll just wait (and wait (and wait!)) and see.

stealth said:

wha???

hee hee, i meant to post above dsm...wow

Edit button, edit button, edit button..../repeats.

Hey dsm, I disagree with saying Final Doom wasn't very scary. Well,not scary so much as atmospheric. It was very, very atmospheric. As much as Doom64, I'd say. However, Doom64 did suffer some coolness-loss with the low frame count of the enemies and some of their designs did suck. Though the cyb was better, the imp was a bit better, the demon was better, etc.