Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Negostrike

When you first met Doom?

Enough of these "When you first met Caco, Archie, etc." questions. Let's talk about the very first time you met the game. :)

It was in the time I played Wolf3D (1993, 1994) when somehow I first heard about Doom. I first saw it on a game store, when my dad was buyin 1942: Pacific Air War. I thought this game so cool. I first played it in 1995 I guess. It was Doom II. In 1996 I first played shareware Doom.

Must... resist.. temptation :P

I played doom2 at a friend's house when it came out and I didn't play again until I got my old 800mhz 3 years ago.

It was in December 1993 when a friend of mine who owns a software development company came to me, showed me the game and asked 'Can we do something like this, too? It can't be that hard.' I couldn't stop laughing...

I met the frst time Doom2 from my KaZaA... I was downloaded it, and play it. :)
and i met this web: DoomWorld THE BEST!!! and I start download wads.

~~End~~
Beautiful, eh? :)

Moti_The~Doom said:

So I thinking be, are illegal in own right and bumblebees?

The first time I met Doom 1 (Not the ultimate) in the house of my friend...
DOOM FOREVER!!!!!!!!! :)
I don't very understand what you writed but I thing than I answered. :)

Wow that uh... made some sense.

I had played it at a friend's house on a 386 machine with pc speaker sound. Everything but the sound attracted me to it. I had my mom purchase me the shareware (this was before we had any internet access in the house) for $9.99. I played it over and over and over again.

Moti_The~Doom said
-----------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
i don't think you placed enough exclamation points,
anywayses in responses to your thread, i dont remember, but i know i liked it nuff said

Mr. Woot, consider using the "quote" button. It's beats the hell out of creating your own quote setup.

Moti_The~Doom said:

and i met this web: DoomWorld THE BEST!!! and I start download wads.

~~End~~
Beautiful, eh? :)

You're stupid.

Cough.
Anyway, it was on a 386 machine somewhere in early to middle 1994. I had been playing Wolfenstein, and one day I found my dad playing a new game. That's how it was. I saw him playing a game, and soon after I would be playing it. I guess if it weren't for him, I'd be one of those "JOO STILLZ PLAY DOOM?!? THAT GAME IS SO OLD!!!1one" newbies.

EarthQuake said:

You're stupid.

And Why you say that?
I'm not stupid.
I konw that I say sometimes stupid things, but I don't need than peoples say me that.
I am in Israel, and I don't so strong in English... :(

I didn't say that because of your grammar or spelling, I said you're stupid because you openly admit your warez'd Doom II... on a Doom community site. That's a big no-no.

The first time I saw it was back when all I had was the Wolfenstein shareware. My friend and I went into a local computer store to look around, and found the employees playing a LAN game with each other (I later learned it was E2M1... I recognized the big upside-down cross :). I asked them what it was as my friend and I looked over his shoulder, and he said it was "kind of a sequel to Wolfenstein." I didn't get the Doom shareware for another month or so, though.

In summer '96, I got my first computer and it had a version of doom on it...

Shareware copy: Sometime in 1994 when my old 386 box was upped to 4mb ram from 2mb. The shareware copy was given to me by my friend's dad, figuring out that I like shooters. (I played wolf3d until I got this upgrade back then)

Doom2: On dad's friend's computer I played until he made 5 3.5" disks for me.

Ultimate Doom: Bought this in Early 1996 I believe for a full $35-40 from Staples.

Final Doom: Simply warezed from kazaa cause I'm too cheap to pay for 2 IWADs I don't know if they were good or not.

Let's see... I found Doom 1.2 on a floppy disk at a computer show. My dad was a computer nerd, thankfully, and always had to get the latest computer. IIRC, We had to shell out $160 for a 4-meg memory card for our 386. Or for the 486. Something like that. Anyway, that was probably 1994... soon after that, I was picking up everything Doom-related(PWADS and such) as soon as I heard about it.

I wanted to buy Doom2 for a while, but I only first tried it a few years ago. My brother-in-law, also a computer geek, had it. It was good, but I've always preferred UDoom over it.

And as for FinalDoom... never tried it. Never really had a reason to.

On a side note, I'm amazed that no one's claimed to have been one of those guys signed on to the BBS at launch.

The first time I played Doom was when I rented the SNES version from Blockbusters. at the time, that was all I knew about Doom (I knew of a PC version, but I didn't have a computer at the time), so I thoroughly enjoyed it, renting it multiple times. Once I got a computer (Pentium 100 with 8 MB ram and 1 GB of disk space), the first game I bought was Ultimate Doom. What a difference that was.

Well I remember after playing Wolfenstein, I thought it would be cool if they made one with monsters and staircases and such. Well, Id must have been thinking the same thign because thats what they made. I was also thinking of RoR and water, but oh well.

Anyway, the first time I saw it, my dad had downloaded it from a BBS in early 94 or so. I came in and he was on e1m3. I remember him being in a dark part and I could hear imps snorting about. I was like "cool, what is this?" and he said "it's a game by the guys that made Wolfenstein, called Doom". I ended up watching him play through most of the shareware version, then the registered version, and after that Doom 2. It was still another couple of years before I was allowed to play it myself, on account of it being violent and me only being 10 or so. So yeah.

I played the shareware version to death when I was a kid, on my 386 4mb PC. I only found E1M9 after I had already completed it loads, which was a great surprise. I remember I went through it so many times, that I started doing things like finishing it on UV with only a pistol, and seeing how far I could get without picking up health (not to the end, I found).

The ending of that episode was one of the best things ever.

Jeez u guys are slow newbs!
I played Doom1 the First day it came out on shareware(1993,december 10th).My house was the Hangout back in Queens ny for like 8 years till i moved to florida.
Next year the day Doom2 came out My dad picked that up.(he used iddqd to beat level 30 whata noob)

1995 i purchased ultimate doom with my own 40 bucks along with the Survivors and Secrets book.
All and all....I say it was worth it.

Even funnier,i was only 4 when doom came out first on shareware and beat episode 1 in 1 hour on uv.

I had the shareware disks about two years before I tried playing it. I wasnt really into the idea of gaming on a PC, and I didnt know anyone who'd played it, so I didnt have any expectations of those 4 innocent looking floppies.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I played the shareware version to death when I was a kid, on my 386 4mb PC. I only found E1M9 after I had already completed it loads, which was a great surprise. I remember I went through it so many times, that I started doing things like finishing it on UV with only a pistol, and seeing how far I could get without picking up health (not to the end, I found).

The ending of that episode was one of the best things ever.

Heh. I can account for that, the big mystery. I once fell into that big slime pit and started running around looking for a way up. Then when I ran across the far wall, that big tunnel opened up, and I said "What the fuck?" out loud so my parents could hear.

I spent an entire week scouring that one level looking for a way in. Fortunately, I found the secret of the timed lowering steps about seven minutes before I went insane.

Moti_The~Doom said:

EDIT - take some English lessons. And don't illegally download software.