Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Full experience Coming Soon?

Hmmn... I haven't seen mention of this, it appears that Doom3.com has been updated to promise "Full experience coming soon". Any ideas on what this means? Is it a reference to the impending release of the game, or a fuller web site being launched?

What it means is that they are probibly going to update there page, to more than just on small page. It is a small website, and it is indoursed by id software, Why don't id reconize us as a mager web page that is doom related. It would be neet to see doomworld.com on id's page as a link... right?

Scabbed Angel said:

Hmmn... I haven't seen mention of this, it appears that Doom3.com has been updated to promise "Full experience coming soon". Any ideas on what this means? Is it a reference to the impending release of the game, or a fuller web site being launched?

It means that Activision tries to keep us interested in Doom 3 by suggesting that Doom 3 isn't far away (which could be everything really).

Of course, if you ever beat Command & Conquer (the first and best in the series) and saw all of the trailer at the end (with the mech thingy), you'd recall that it said "Command & Conquer 2: Tiberian SUN - coming soon".
It took three fucking years at the very least after this before Tiberian Sun was released - just goes to show what exactly "coming soon" advertising means.

It means squat in case you couldn't figure it out.

Heh, damn. . .

"From the makers of Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena. . .
Id software presents....
An Activision Production...
Coming Soon...
A bigger website. .. .
With EVERYTHING, you've already seen. . .
DooM 3"

MaximusNukeage said:

do you really wanna see too much more? would ruin it if they put too much new stuff up

Am I the only one who think they already released way too many screenies ages ago?

dsm said:

Am I the only one who think they already released way too many screenies ages ago?

No, you're not. I think they revealed Doom3 far too early, never mind releasing screenshots. I mean, what was it... 2001 when the Macworld video was unveiled?

its 3+ years in the making, its gotta have lots of content, and be fairly long. and have the next generation of ownage engine.
sorry for being alittle off topic

MaximusNukeage said:

its 3+ years in the making, its gotta have lots of content, and be fairly long. and have the next generation of ownage engine.

It has an extremely complex engine and it has an assload of content (the zombies alone come in incredible variety - from maintenance workers to scientists to janitors on fire).

On the basis of the engine alone, it's no wonder why it's taken so long.

dsm said:

No, not at all. I think my hype would have been more increased if they released less. They should have just shown the reverant, imp, zombies. The pinkie (although I would give my life for him) and hellknight should have been kept a suprise imho.

MaximusNukeage said:

id originally said that it would be 30+ levels (we don't know how big/small these levls are though) but recently said that it would be less than that. The higher detail etc. is the primary focus, not the length of the game. Either way, I'm sure there will be expansion packs to look forward to.

MaximusNukeage said:

do you really wanna see too much more? would ruin it if they put too much new stuff up

Not new stuff, but if they launch a full site, it would mean that the game is coming much closer to release. And can anyone argue that a flash site with descriptions of the weapons ect would be kickass?

dsm said:

It has an extremely complex engine

It'd better not be complex. They'd have trouble debugging it, and yet more trouble licensing it :P

Scabbed Angel said:

id originally said that it would be 30+ levels (we don't know how big/small these levls are though) but recently said that it would be less than that. The higher detail etc. is the primary focus, not the length of the game.

When did you hear it to be less? Last official info I got on levels said it was around 30 levels.

It'd better not be complex. They'd have trouble debugging it, and yet more trouble licensing it :P

It's complex compared to the Q3A engine - the code is anyway. That's how I understood it anyway, but you may know something I don't?

Fredrik said:

Yeah. You want code to be as simple as possible.

All I know is that I've heard the same refrain again and again (from Zaldron and a few others I believe): The engine is complex as Hell - whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean.

Maybe the complex part is just the part of making this whole thing simple - the engine has to render realistic lighting and shadowing effects. That's no small feat and if the code that can perform this fear needs to be simple to understand, wouldn't it require an assload of work to make it simple to understand?

Scabbed Angel said:

As odd and backwards as that sounds it is correct. Complex=not doom1 or quake. Perhaps advanced was the word you were looking for?

Yes, I believe you're right - apologies for the confusions and the dumb little argument I started.

Fredrik said:

Thus why computers were first programmed in 0's and 1's and now use GUI's and C++, right? Makes perfect sense to me, and they'll go down and being one of the pioneers in making it simple.

Fredrik said:

as simple as possible doesnt have to mean simple at all, I doubt any one person has full understanding of the engine, other than carmack.
(and yes, there are people outside id who work with doom3 engine, many university sites have hidden projects with students tweaking it, legally or not I do not know)

and as for the 1's and 0's, thats the way computers still work, c++ just coverts words into 1 and o's, and the only reason they even do that is game engines are far to big to write directly into machine code.