Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cyber-menace

Distance Fog

Is there anyway using Zdoom to create a "Distance Fog" like what you would see in modern games of today. I think a distance fog effect would REALLY help the frame rate on my newest map. Is this possible?

Yes, that's possible. You have my fbase_se.wad don't you? Look at map02 (IIRC) to see how it's done.

boris said:

Yes, that's possible. You have my fbase_se.wad don't you? Look at map02 (IIRC) to see how it's done.

But does that actually end up clipping everything past a certain distance?

Your FBase_SE method isn't exactly what I mean. That fog would still have the frame rate issues because it's only acting as fog and not a fog to obscure the player's view at a certain distance. I don't know if it is possible in Doom, but it would be useful.

cyber-menace said:

Your FBase_SE method isn't exactly what I mean. That fog would still have the frame rate issues because it's only acting as fog and not a fog to obscure the player's view at a certain distance.

That's what Ling meant.

Linguica said:

But does that actually end up clipping everything past a certain distance?

I'm fairly certain it doesn't, since the fade value is looked up in the COLORMAP at drawing time, long after the BSP has been walked to determine which things to draw. I suppose it could be optimized by checking if the last colormap will be used and then just draw the fade color there, but it'd cause weird effects with custom colormaps.