Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epyo

Daedalus Help & Hints thread

This is a really nice campaign. Although I tend to get stuck (and finding out that the solution is obvious which means that my palm and forehead makes a high-five) it's lots of fun.

The worst thing that has happened to me with those stealth creatures was when I went through a door on the brig and suddenly bagan to take lots of damage, there were two invisible revenants that had started to punch me like some old punching bag.

Tieowbeijas said:

This is a really nice campaign. Although I tend to get stuck (and finding out that the solution is obvious which means that my palm and forehead makes a high-five) it's lots of fun.

The worst thing that has happened to me with those stealth creatures was when I went through a door on the brig and suddenly bagan to take lots of damage, there were two invisible revenants that had started to punch me like some old punching bag.

Most people don't like stealth monsters because people tend not to use them correctly in their maps. I'd personally prefer a horde of them at a distance. That way it's still a shock but they won't be able to immediately flank you and kill you in about three seconds.

I have nothing against the stealth monsters, it's just that I had a painfull experience with some of them.
And I suspect that the revenants were standing on either side of the door, made it sorta fun in gameplay, like they had planned an ambush or something =D

As good as Daedalus is I have two serious problems with it:

1. The excessive abuse of stealth monsters.
2. The way respawning of monsters is handled in some levels that are frequently entered (especially Brig and Tunnels were really annoying.)

Unfortunately both (especially #2) are perfectly good fun killers and decreased the enjoyability of this WAD a lot.
(Fortunately the scripts were released so I could 'fix' #2 which significantly increased the fun factor again. :-D )

The only thing I can complain of is the lack of health bonuses combined with monster respawning, if either some health packs would respawn or there was a low chance that a monster could drop a stim-pack it would be all fine.

Tieowbeijas said:

The only thing I can complain of is the lack of health bonuses combined with monster respawning, if either some health packs would respawn or there was a low chance that a monster could drop a stim-pack it would be all fine.

In hubs one and two, every time you use the travel tubes, you gain a couple points of health. But spawning some health as well as monsters is a good idea.

Didn't notice that and I'm in the tunnels in hub 3 so those tubes work quite nice to compensate for the lack of health :)
And I mostly got the idea of health from monsters from System Shock (2), since you go around a lot between levels and meet newly respawned enemies which could carry a med-patch or two sometimes. As it is now in Daedalus it would probably suffice with an at most 10-20% chance that they drop a stim pack, that would probably keep you going untill you find a med kit and some armor.

I'm stuck in the Environmental Control section on hub 1. I've just made it to that door that won't open unless you enter in some kind of symbol combination from the adjacent rooms. I've tried every combination (4^3=64!) and the damn door still won't open.

Help.

Um. Where's the secret weapon in the Officer's Quarters? I found the disco(very clever), but no weapon. Any hints?

What am I supposed to do in the armory besides kick ass?

Is there anything else to the brig besides the microgen and those teleporters?

How do I open that fricken door in the cryonics chamber?

Do I need to do something special before getting that ship ready for take off?

Arg!

And what's with the trail of bodies and blood I keep seeing at the start of some of these maps? Is this the work of our mysterious walkie-talkie buddy? Do we find out who he/she is at the end of the game? And when we do find out who he/she is, will it be lame?

bartwart said:
How do I open that fricken door in the cryonics chamber?

Do I need to do something special before getting that ship ready for take off?

Check the posts above. A few of them deal with this exact problem. In short: the cryonics chamber door can be opened from inside the ship. On top of the scout ship is a hatch, which lowers if you stand on it. Inside the scout ship is a switch that opens the door. Beyond the door you can find the third microgen.

Okay, so, I'm lost in hub 4, and nobody else has questioned this - so I know I'm missing something obvious here. *laugh*

After starting in the hub, I've gone through the first two classrooms (one lecture hall, and another with consoles in an "x" formation, with two side rooms packed with consoles.

After giving love to every console in the joint, I came up with the securty code for the Hangar Bay... and then received instructions to pick up a microgen from the storage bay. Not finding a a storage bay code anywhere, I banged every console (I think?) again - and no code.

Before I shoot myself out of frustration, can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Thanks. Oh, and TNT -- great wad. :D

kkx said:

Okay, so, I'm lost in hub 4, and nobody else has questioned this - so I know I'm missing something obvious here. *laugh*

After starting in the hub, I've gone through the first two classrooms (one lecture hall, and another with consoles in an "x" formation, with two side rooms packed with consoles.

After giving love to every console in the joint, I came up with the securty code for the Hangar Bay... and then received instructions to pick up a microgen from the storage bay. Not finding a a storage bay code anywhere, I banged every console (I think?) again - and no code.

Before I shoot myself out of frustration, can someone tell me what I'm missing here?

Thanks. Oh, and TNT -- great wad. :D

You have the code to the storage room (not bay) but maybe forgot where the storage room is? It's location was given in the console message you received. You are currently in Language Labs and Classrooms and need to get back to the previous level (Federated Systems is the name of the map IIRC). Fix the telporter and you can make the return trip to the previous map and find the storage room. BTW, there are two storage rooms in this map and they will each provide a microgen.

Nice bump BTW. ;)

... well, y'know, this is a great wad. Uber-challenging. Lots of fun stuff to explore. And a year with no posts on this thread is just too long.

Thanks for the tip, figured it out, completed the game. Time sucked ass. Oh well. :)

I just beat Daedalus, w/o any help. Of course I had no idea what it was I was doing half the time. I must say that even though it shows that it went a lot of hard work into this mod. I still feel that some parts have been neglected.

I have a bug report for hub 4. In the language classrooms where the 2 dormant archviles are,everytime i step into a lit up tube, zdoom crashes. anybody know whats going on?

edit: nevermind, i fixed it

Hey, hate to bump a 2-months-killed thread, but how do I get back into the trash bay? I need to go there to get a command code but I can't get back through the big doors in engineering.

How do I open the inner engine core? I can't get to the environmental controls teleporter.

PSchmitz said:

What Ty said. :)

There are two sets of consoles per room. You can see the obvious set of consoles as you enter each room, but there is also a set along the back wall. Those are the ones you need to activate first. Once you do that, the pattern to complete the puzzle should be apparent. You 'll know you are on the right solution if the the first set of consoles goes all bubbly once you make the correct choice on the "back wall" console(s).

Figured it out...doh

MRB_Doom said:

ZDoom 2.1.6 using zdoomgl.exe

ZDoomGL and ZDoom are completely independant, and changes to one have no effect on the other. ZDoomGL hasn't seen a new release in quite a while so who knows what ZDoom version it's based on. GZDoom is another project that adds OpenGL support to ZDoom and it actively maintained. The latest version includes ZDoom 2.1.6 support.

david_a said:

ZDoomGL and ZDoom are completely independant, and changes to one have no effect on the other. ZDoomGL hasn't seen a new release in quite a while so who knows what ZDoom version it's based on. GZDoom is another project that adds OpenGL support to ZDoom and it actively maintained. The latest version includes ZDoom 2.1.6 support.

thx for info about GZDoom, testing it now.

100% awesome.

I'm right now at the bridge, and to activate some weird console thingy (Ker-Zing) i'll have to go to the captain's quarters. Question is, where's that? And on a probably related note, how do i open this door?

Anything at all that would closely resemble a "where to go next and how to get there" type thing. I am stuck and at wit's end. I usually don't like using guides, but I have had it up to here with Daedalus. I have tried everything, but cannot get to the trash bay to get my last console code. Please help me out!

If you are where I think you are, go to the mess hall level, and fall through the garbage disposal on the top floor. You'll end up in a back room of the trash bay.

When you exit this room and are back in the green sludge filled area you began the game, there one movable box to the right (as you're exiting the area you fell down in from the mess hall level), and to the top left (if you're back is to the exit of the ship you began the game in). You can press action to move the box, and the code is in a room inside.

pizzabob18 said:

If you are where I think you are, go to the mess hall level, and fall through the garbage disposal on the top floor. You'll end up in a back room of the trash bay.

Thank you so much. You were an immense help.

Okay, so I am stuck . . . again. After finally getting the microgen into the scout ship, what the heck am I supposed to do?

Also, when I was exploring the scout ship, I got a message stating that some magnetic interference had caused my aural device to malfunction. I then stepped into the little charger booth and when I was finally able to step out, it said that my brain had been permanently altered. Is that bad? Did I do something that I'll regret?

Thanks in advance.

FallenUnsungHero said:

Also, when I was exploring the scout ship, I got a message stating that some magnetic interference had caused my aural device to malfunction. I then stepped into the little charger booth and when I was finally able to step out, it said that my brain had been permanently altered. Is that bad? Did I do something that I'll regret?

It means you no longer have to recharge your translator - your brain translates automatically.
I think after you put the microgen in the scout ship you can launch it.