Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Alpha Outpost - Level

I've been working on this level on and off for a while, about a month. It started as a Doom2 vanilla level, but I converted it to a ZDoom level for some extra features. :) Hopefully I'll have most of it completed by the end of the weekend, so it'll be ready for the following /newstuff. Here's some pics. (By the way, sorry if the pics are a bit too large)

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Saviormike-DOOM0011.JPG
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Saviormike-DOOM0005.JPG
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Saviormike-DOOM0004.jpg
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Saviormike-DOOM0002.JPG

Edit by Cyb: Hello?! Waaaay to big, read the faq plzkthx. changed to links
Edit by Job: Heh, I figured they might be. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Assmaster said:

Those images are a little big, dont you think?

Job said:

Here's some pics. (By the way, sorry if the pics are a bit too large)

I like the third screen. Looks solid. But rest is yet not enough to be impressed.

I like them all (specially the first one), but try to increse the light level in the dark areas.

Why is everyone set on brightening everything up? If someone makes a dark map, then the first response is "OMG I CANT SEE ANYTHING!?!!1"
You know some levels are supposed to be dark and even appear darker than the normally would be. There are also other factors contributing to the darkness, like white space around the image, or your shitty monitor settings.

The screens look good IMO, although I'd like to see something new.

EarthQuake said:

Why is everyone set on brightening everything up? If someone makes a dark map, then the first response is "OMG I CANT SEE ANYTHING!?!!1"
You know some levels are supposed to be dark and even appear darker than the normally would be. There are also other factors contributing to the darkness, like white space around the image, or your shitty monitor settings.

I agree with you 100%. This level in particular was designed to bring back the atmospher that I loved so well in the PSX Final Doom and Doom. So, I hope you guys like that stuff.

Job said:

I've been working on this level on and off for a while, about a month. It started as a Doom2 vanilla level, but I converted it to a ZDoom level for some extra features.

You only made this a zdoom level for the color lighting?

Torn said:

You only made this a zdoom level for the color lighting?

Yeah, that and maybe some ambient sound. I think if I did anything more than that, it wouldn't have the PSX Doom feel I was hoping to achieve.

Seems u guys missed out on trying out a great wad.
I dunno why job imed me but he asked me to play his wad,it was indeed hard,dark,yet kicks ass at the same time.
Great map even though its not done yet.

I hate overly bright maps, kind of defeats the whole point of 'doom'(unless it is done very well).
My map I'm making is really dark in some places, but it is in a cave, where there are no lights (almost).
The only thing that bothers me are the square lights in the last screen shot. I think making them octogon shaped would please me more, but it is up to you.

The map isnt actually as dark as it appears in those shots. I never had a problem seeing where I was going. I must agree though that it's silly to make a zdoom map just for colored lighting. But hey, it's his map.

BlackFish said:

For a second I thought you were using legacy.

Why's that?

MaximusNukeage said:

when does your map come out?

If all goes well, a week from now.

Ubik said:

DOOMF

Heh. :D

Edit: By the way, thanks to our good friend Ubik here, custom ambient music will be provided. Kudos, good sir.

Soem difnately neat lightning in the second pic. The first one is dark. Real dark.