Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Gamespy "Most Wanted Games of 2004"

After Gamespy's idiotic picks for the Top Ten Games Of 2003, I absolutely don't care anymore about any other list they might come up with.

Disorder said:

All gamesites choose Half-life 2 over Doom 3 because they know most gamers want to see it that way.

And most gamers are so blind that they can't look into the truth about Doom 3.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed when they chose D3 over HL2.

I think the reason for that is because most Doomers first played the game when it came out, or 2 years later like I did (I first played Doom II in Dec. '96), and alot of us are older now, but HL2 appeals to the younger generation because it came out in I think '99 and is still popular because of mod's like counter-strike. also since games are viewed as being "supposedly" for kids around 12-17 years of age when in fact most gamers are around their 17-mid/late 20's, websites will try to target younger audiences to please them, and forget about "us."

confusing what i said, i know.

All gamesites choose Half-life 2 over Doom 3 because they know most gamers want to see it that way.

true, true.

Disorder said:

Umm, if most gamers are looking forward to Half-Life 2 more than Doom 3, and the people who wrote this article are gamers themselves, that rather suggests the people who wrote the article really are looking forward to Half-Life 2 more than Doom 3.

Personally I'm more inclined to think that most gamers are actually looking forward to Doom 3 more (including Gamespy's staff), but Valve gave them a bribe.

hl2 no doubt has the most advanced physics engine ever created, but i think doom3's lighting has an edge.

for me, halo2 is the most wanted game, followed closely by DooM3, and then halflife2 a few paces behind, mostly because the xbox version of hl2 isnt likely to look quite as good even with the standardized equipment.

If Valve hadn't had their source and files "Stolen" from their servers, the game would never have generated as much hype. The "Hacker" generated more hype for Half Life 2 than Valve could ever have hoped.

Oh and by "Half Life 2" everyone means "Counterstrike 2"

wha? by e3 03 the hype was on, i didnt even know about the hack untill about a month ago.

new thought:

halflife2 strength is the physics and environments,
doom3 is the lighting, and
halo2 is overall gamplay with some great graphix thrown in.

now if only id, valve, and bungie would team up and roll all that great stuff into one game.

EDIT: not to insult doom3's gameplay or HL2's lighting in any way they are both quite good.

ummm...

the only strength of half-life 2 I see is the outdoor environments

and Doom 3 (which owns hl2, but i still do like hl) is lighting.

both hl2 and doom3 use the same physics system. it's called the havok physics engine....

If Valve hadn't had their source and files "Stolen" from their servers, the game would never have generated as much hype. The "Hacker" generated more hype for Half Life 2 than Valve could ever have hoped.

yup. agree.

Oh and by "Half Life 2" everyone means "Counterstrike 2"

haha true. what made half-life really popular were the mods, especially counter-strike. the reason I got half-life long time ago was when my friend introduced CS to me when it was in the beta stages.
i also found half-life's single player kind of boring.

Skeletor said:

both hl2 and doom3 use the same physics system. it's called the havok physics engine....

Doom 3 doesn't use Havok, it uses a custom physics engine.

I hope half life 2 has some laboratory area maps, cuz from all ive seen it looks like its pretty much outdoors. my fave parts of half life were the laboratory areas, i love that.

Fredrik said:

Speaking of which; Metroid: Zero Mission is way too low on that list.

I agree. It's got to be the most intriguing, though not anticipated, of the series.

I think all this "most wanted" crap is out of control. I mean, hell, lets just review and award the games NOW for all I care. Who cares if they're not even out yet?

TH-555 said:

hl2 no doubt has the most advanced physics engine ever created, but i think doom3's lighting has an edge.

I'd say that from what we have seen so far, the d3 physics engine beats the living crap out of the havok engine. Look at the HL2 videos. The corpses fall to the ground in a very unrealistic matter. The only reason people 'think' HL2 has better physics is that they put in a crap gimmicky gravity gun and a lot of madresses. So what? I've seen custom recorded D3 physics videos that really beat the crap out of the HL2 physics. For instance: hundreds of stacked boxes. An object is fired through them and they fall realisticly.

halflife2 strength is the physics and environments,
doom3 is the lighting, and
halo2 is overall gamplay with some great graphix thrown in.

I don't see what HL2's strength is. Seems like a bunch of gimmicks wrapped around the havok physics engine. I could be completely wrong, though. I'd say Doom3 will have strong sides in all the things you meantion; Physics, environments, lighting, graphics, gameplay. It looks like it's going to be a very nice game. I could, of course, be wrong about that too.

now if only id, valve, and bungie would team up and roll all that great stuff into one game.

No! That would really make a crappy game company. Valve and id software are two completely different companies. They would never agree on anything. Also, I'd hate to see the semipoor Valve artists screw up anything id is working on.

Arno said:

After Gamespy's idiotic picks for the Top Ten Games Of 2003, I absolutely don't care anymore about any other list they might come up with.

They picked the right winner!

This thread is steadily devolving into a Doom 3 Vs. Half Life 2 Vs. Halo 2 thread.
Tiresome.

Can't we just all get along? Maybe even leave this thread alone.

dsm said:

This thread is steadily devolving into a Doom 3 Vs. Half Life 2 Vs. Halo 2 thread.
Tiresome.

Can't we just all get along? Maybe even leave this thread alone.

It was a Doom 3 vs. Half-Life 2 thread to begin with. I see nothing wrong with the discussion as long as it doesn't derail into some horrible flamewar. Nobody's yelling at eachother and everybody uses arguments, so I'll let it live.

Fredrik said:

Doom 3 doesn't use Havok, it uses a custom physics engine.

I believe hl2 and HALO2 use the havok engine. thats what I heard.

I don't think Halo 2 uses Havok. If it did, I suspect it'd be advertised on the Havok website. If I'm wrong, please provide a link to a page that mentions it.

I am very very disappointed in the execution of HL2, as seen from the leaked resources from circa-9/03.

At best, HL2 is only going to be a well-done game using previous-generation technology, unlike, at best, Doom 3 being a well-done game using next-generation tech.

The lauded physics code, as seen in the leaked resources, is glitchy as fuck. Drag the radiator around with the zero-point gun, and it'll get itself stuck in a wall somewhere where it will be, randomly, near impossible to dig out, or incredibly easy. Enormous tracts of the lauded "artificial intelligence" shown in the E3 presentation turned out indeed to be totally artificial--completely scripted.

And as for ragdoll physics and corpses: frankly, Doom 3's corpses feel much much more realistic. Hit a pinky corpse in the flesh, the flesh jiggles. Hit that same corpse in the mechanical portion, your bullet dings off the metal. On the other hand, in HL2 you get models that weren't meant to be bent in certain ways getting bent in all sorts of weird positions, deforming the model (and not in the good way), and in the end, they feel entirely too immaterially light --even if they're not quite as bad as DX2.

Ever tried to stop the swinging girder in e3_phystown? Completely impossible. Not to mention that the shadow the girder "casts" stays directly under the girder regardless of where the light source is in relation to it. This is something that game engine designers have figured out how to handle ages before Doom 3.

I could go on and on. But I won't need to. Just one more thought:

Carmack has demonstrated again and again that the technological marvels he strives to accomplish will work the same way irrespective of scripting. Valve has demonstrated before with HL1 that everything the game does will be scripted to present some convincing effect. Doom 3 seems to be about going to exactly the length necessary to present a convincing effect. HL2 seems to be about going the minimum amount of effort needed to present what turns out to be an easily broken illusion.

Arioch said:

And as for ragdoll physics and corpses: frankly, Doom 3's corpses feel much much more realistic. Hit a pinky corpse in the flesh, the flesh jiggles. Hit that same corpse in the mechanical portion, your bullet dings off the metal.

Sweet well im a fuckin happy guy now then :-).

From what I've seen with the Havok engine(in Max Payne 2 and DX:IW) corpses fly around to easily when hit, they just dont flop a bit, the can slide a bit or even (as in the DX:IW demo) fly a meter or two off the ground.
The physics of Doom 3 look less... overdone, in the E3 2003 movie when a zombie commando was shot in the chest with the shot gun he flew a bit backwards and went down quickly, which to me looks better.

Fredrik said:

I don't think Halo 2 uses Havok. If it did, I suspect it'd be advertised on the Havok website. If I'm wrong, please provide a link to a page that mentions it.

now that i think about it, halo2's engine was written from scratch, so it couldnt be havoc.

Arioch said:

At best, HL2 is only going to be a well-done game using previous-generation technology, unlike, at best, Doom 3 being a well-done game using next-generation tech.

that just about somes it up, just too bad the media just doesnt realize it. and as for the glitchy stuff, the game isnt done, and iive never seen glitchy hl2 stuff. altho that doesnt mean it isnt there.

Arioch said:

Rant about HL2 being one big lie

I dunno about the rest of you, but I'll try to keep an open mind. Couldn't it be possible that the leaked HL2 stuff was in fact a bad build of Half Life 2? Or incomplete code?

Yes, I know HL2 is supposedly further out in development than Doom 3 was when its alpha was leaked, but I still like to think that the final version of HL2 will be a considerable well-done game (despite my still standing sentiments that HL2's concept doesn't interest me as much as D3's).