Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mivalekan

Doom 3 Imp

It'd be neat if they showed the imps spitting into their hands, and the saliva caught fire, like in the doom books. Do you think they'll impliment that in the game? :)

For those of you who haven't read the books: The imps spit in their hands, and somehow the saliva ignites, and they throw it at you. Kinda like a sticky fireball.

That's how the old BoH/HK worked...

No it wouldn't be neat, and I doubt it'll be in the game. Yes, maybe, if it was sweat generated in the palms, but spitting's a dumb idea.

I think the general consensus with most DooM fans is that anything even remotely related to the novels is bad/not cool/stupid, et cetera. Now while the flaming spit sounds like a cool idea, my personal opinion is that it wouldn't fit into Doom3. However, after the game is released, you could probably make a model that could do that. :)

"BA HA HA HA!!" I was kinda wondering how the doom community hear would react to that. Even though I thought imp barfin' up thick snot into it's hands that then ignite into flame before it throws it does give it a unique kind of "SCI-FI" appeal.

Sounds a bit silly to me...

Also, from a gameplay point of view, it would give the player enough time to take cover before the Imp can fire. But this could be balanced out by the strenghth of the fireball, now that I think about it... remember the Enforceres and Gunners from Quake2? They also had a preload animation for their machine guns to give the player some time to react.

scarecrow said:

I think the general consensus with most DooM fans is that anything even remotely related to the novels is bad/not cool/stupid, et cetera. Now while the flaming spit sounds like a cool idea, my personal opinion is that it wouldn't fit into Doom3. However, after the game is released, you could probably make a model that could do that. :)

Actually, the new lost souls and the Commandos seem pretty much inspired by the novels so you aren't quite right about that.

However, the idea of imps/Barons of Hell snotting in their hands before throwing the now ignited snot at you is, in my own personal opinion, absolutely retarded.

Firstly, my interpretation of the Doom demons conflicts badly with any attempt at explaining the demons and their attacks scientifically or logically. If there was a logical explanation to their attacks, they wouldn't feel hellish, mysterious or in any way demonic - they'd seem like retarded space aliens to my eyes. And I absofuckinglutely hate any notion that the Doom demons "might somehow in any way" be space aliens from beyond the stars rather than the very essence of pure Evil from Hell.

Secondly, by now I know for a fact that Id's own interpretation of the demons is that they are in fact from Hell and not from beyond the stars (Carmack was quoted to having said that in an article) and Hell is supposed to be chaotic and considerably inexplicable.

Thirdly, it just sounds plain dumb - it's much cooler if they 'just' conjure up the fireballs imho.

While I don't like that method of creating the fireballs, I do like the sticky, acidic fireballs themselves. Perhaps if one of these hit you, it would dissolve right through your armor (or a large portion of it) and/or radiation suit, while not sustaining very much damage from the initial impact. If you're not wearing either...well, you get the idea. They work best if used sparingly, though.

dsm said:

And I absofuckinglutely hate any notion that the Doom demons "might somehow in any way" be space aliens from beyond the stars rather than the very essence of pure Evil from Hell.

The mancubi are space aliens which were hellified (Doom2).

Shaviro said:

The mancubi are space aliens which were hellified (Doom2).

From the Doom 2 manuel:

The only good thing about fatso is that he's a nice wide target. Good thing, because it takes a lot of hits to puncture him. He pumps out fireballs like there was no tomorrow.

Either you have a different Doom 2 manuel than me, or you simply made up the manure about the mancubus being a space alien.
Oh and don't use the tiresome old refrain that the various scrolling text sequences in Doom 2 mentions the word "alien", because "alien" means "foreign" and could just as well just be referring to the fact that the demons are not from Earth.

Shav, care to quote your source?

So no, I don't hate Id ;-P

I never post anymore, but I'm going to have to comment on this one. I agree wholeheartedly with DSM...The enemies are supposed to be hellspawn, and to try and explain it away scientifically takes away from the mysteriousness and horror the enemies evoke.

dsm said:

Either you have a different Doom 2 manuel than me, or you simply made up the manure about the mancubus being a space alien.

Romero said that the Mancubus is a space alien.

Prime said:

The enemies are supposed to be hellspawn, and to try and explain it away scientifically takes away from the mysteriousness and horror the enemies evoke.

So? The Mancubus is only one out of several enemies.

dsm said:

From the Doom 2 manuel:

Oh and don't use the tiresome old refrain that the various scrolling text sequences in Doom 2 mentions the word "alien", because "alien" means "foreign" and could just as well just be referring to the fact that the demons are not from Earth.

Shav, care to quote your source?

So no, I don't hate Id ;-P

I had a nice chat with Romero about it. That beats any manual you can dig up. Also. The marble face that isn't the "Icon of Sin" or the "baron" is a picture of an alien. And yes...the "alien" part in the Doom2 text sequence means alien as in "outer space creature".

Shaviro said:

Also. The marble face that isn't the "Icon of Sin" or the "baron" is a picture of an alien.

I thought that was Chtulhu.

MaximusNukeage said:

but that face on the wall looks like a cows scull not like any of thoe descriptions

Um, read Shaviro's last post and think REALLY hard...

please i hope there arent aliens in doom3. that would take the hellish demonness out of it. my n00bish mother always called the doom demons space aliens, i would hate for that to be true.

aside from that, doom is about hell, who wants space aliens?

Hmm,Makes sense that the Mancu is a alien of some sort,But i'd rather he'd be a horribly fucked up human,Well because thats what he looks like.

And I'd like to keep them Demons too,Almost every other "scary" FPS is about aliens and I think the whole demon thing allows them to be alot scarier as well as more orignal.

well atleast its a logical fuckin explination for how the damn fire gets in there hands to begin with, hell fuckin works for me.

Caco-Puff said:

Hmm,Makes sense that the Mancu is a alien of some sort,But i'd rather he'd be a horribly fucked up human,Well because thats what he looks like.

And I'd like to keep them Demons too,Almost every other "scary" FPS is about aliens and I think the whole demon thing allows them to be alot scarier as well as more orignal.

Uhh I think you mean she...