Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Woot

best monster ever?

what movie/game/book do you think had the most imaginative monster ever?

personally i liked hexen's creations, pumpkinhead had an interesting demon, and predator without a doubt was ingeniously amazing, for it's time

Alien.

I know it's a square choice, but someone has to say it. And now that this one's covered, the rest of you can pick whatever other stuff you like.

I'd have to say Alien also, mostly because I'm a Giger fanatic. Otherwise, the Cenobites from the Hellraiser series.

No, I think Giger's alien pretty much covers it.

The Eye of Sauron, not the comical piece of shit from the second / third movies, but the eye that Frodo sees in Galadriel's mirror in the book...that passage freaked me. Ditto with the discription of Morgoth with he answers the Elf King's challenge in the Silmarilion and splatters him with Grond. Oh, and Ungoliant.

Yeah, Tolkien really had a knack for his discriptions of evil. Very few movie monsters have ever really scared me.

Your MOM! OHHH!!! Yeah, I said it!

lol j/k. Hmm, lemme think. Alien & Predator seems like the obvious answer and they are both great, but there has to be something else. Shit idunno, the beasts in Pitch Black were pretty well done. Um, a few of the mosters from the Doom and Quake1 universe could also be up there, but they weren't really fleshed out enough due to the limitations of their game engines (too pixelated/too few polys & low res textures).

Alien; nothing more thrilling and scary than a believable one on one fight for survival against an opponent that is not only stronger than you, faster than you, more intelligent than you, but is also incapable of mercy.

Uh, thanks Fredrik.

The one in Stephen King's "The Raft" (it's a short story. read it, it's great!).

It appears in a collection of his short stories entitled "Skeleton Crew", IIRC.

ravage said:

Alien; nothing more thrilling and scary than a believable one on one fight for survival against an opponent that is not only stronger than you, faster than you, but is also incapable of mercy.

Don't forget really smart.

Kristian Ronge said:

The one in Stephen King's "The Raft" (it's a short story. read it, it's great!).

It appears in a collection of his short stories entitled "Skeleton Crew", IIRC.

I've read that short story, and yeah, that was pretty gruesome how it disposed of the humans. The Mist also had some cool monsters. The Jaunt was the scariest one of them all IMO, even though it didn't have any monsters. All of Skeleton Crew was pretty great actually.

ravage said:

Alien; nothing more thrilling and scary than a believable one on one fight for survival against an opponent that is not only stronger than you, faster than you, more intelligent than you, but is also incapable of mercy.

Uh, thanks Fredrik.

And dont forget the risk of being splashed by the acid blood when he's hurt

Russell_P said:

so is it okay to say Arse Blaster?

Graboids, Shriekers, and Assblasters are all banned.

DaJuice said:
The Mist also had some cool monsters.

Indeed.. they are more hinted at than actually thoroughly described, causing your own imagination to play tricks on you. Great stuff. :-)

The scariest monsters are the ones you never see and make up yourself -- the ones hiding under your bed when you were a kid (Which is why the first part of "Jaws" is so suspenseful.. you see flashes of the shark but most of it is just a shadow, a form, accompanied by the terrifying music. This is almost ruined in the second half when you see too much of it.)

Ed said:

I'd have to say Alien also, mostly because I'm a Giger fanatic. Otherwise, the Cenobites from the Hellraiser series.

Seconded on both counts. As far as best looking monster, anything from Silent Hill or the fiend from Quake one. The cenobites aren't really monsters, but that thing in hallway in HR1 was, and it owned!

læmænt said:

JEWS

Also, Alien. BTW, who said Aliens were "really smart"?

"You can't kill them; they are like sheep, they're going to take over."

Dracula's second form from Castlevania III, and anything from Hellraiser . . . ugh. I can't think of any others right now . . .

I've got one.... they were badly modeled, had crappy textures and silly looking motion capture. They weren't particularly threatening, and could be quite easily confused - but they still managed to make me hide in corners. Just thanks to the awesome choreography of sound, constantly feeding your paranoia. And I don't just mean the monster sounds, every sound in the game was carefully orchestrated to make you feel uncomfortable.

Im talking about the many from Shock 2, but I honestly think they could have got the same effect with any old monster.

Monsters are in the mind :)

When defining best monster, it is actually the most destructive, fear inducing, gruesome monster ever.

I would have to say god, for giving me existence.

Well, if there is a god.

The sandworms from Dune. I love their whole life cycle and demigod status. Plus, they can eat any manmade vehicle short of the city-size Guild Heighliners in one gulp.

"Yikes, what a monster!"

KoRn said:

When defining best monster, it is actually the most destructive, fear inducing, gruesome monster ever.

I would have to say god, for giving me existence.

Well, if there is a god.

Yes...so true

I think The Thing from John Carpenter's version of the movie deserves a mention here. It was just so... weird. That part when one guy tries to perform CPR on another dude and his chest eats his hands... Man that was good the first time I saw it:) The scene where MacReady tries to find out who is infected is pretty damn good, too.