Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

The Metroid Games

Lord FlatHead said:

That sucked. I sounded manlier than that when I was fifteen years old. Well, at least in my memories I do.

Manly? It sounds kinda synthetic/robotic, that's what I think is cool about it.

I thought it was weird.

I like the gameplay for the most part in Super Metroid/Fusion, but I have a major problem with it: The powerups are total bullshit. For some reason, randomly shooting at different blocks hoping to make a powerup appear just doesn't appeal to me. Heh, as a matter of fact, I stopped playing Super Metroid somwhere in Maridia. I recognize its influence, but it's not on my top list. Metroid Prime, on the other hand, almost always makes sense.

And speaking of complex moves, how long did it take for you to get that item in Maridia where you had to actually sprint through an open door and jump up into a narrow hole without bumping your head? It took me at least a half hour of constant trial of error to get it just right.

Heh, that took me about five minutes. Of course, I accidently read about it in a FAQ trying to figure out what to do next . . . (Power Bomb in glass tube? Of course! :/)

Grimm said:

The powerups are total bullshit. For some reason, randomly shooting at different blocks hoping to make a powerup appear just doesn't appeal to me. [...] Metroid Prime, on the other hand, almost always makes sense.

Yeah, gotta love how in Prime it makes sense that the world is split into rooms separated by doors, how the powerups are gained in just the right order needed to make progress, that there are missile/bomb/energy expansions scattered all over the place (unlike Super Metroid!), that there are "puzzles" lying around for no reason, that there are save stations everywhere (especially right before bosses), that the world is made of polygons, that the enemies respawn when you leave and reenter a room, etc. FFS it's a game and it doesn't even even claim to have some stupid realism factor or whatever you're trying to complain about.

Blah Blah, what can I say that hasn't already been said. I loved Prime... What a great way to bring Metroid into 3D. Fusion, great despite the lame "fused" Samus suit. Super Metroid... win.

Fred, we really should have gotten that Super Metroid DooM Conversion together.

I'm playing through Super Metroid on an emulator right now. I'm using the Super Justin Bailey hack.

mmm... jiggle.

Sense as in the the powerups, dip, and by that I meant, "More sense than randomly shooting at things." Calm down. Sorry for complaining about the almighty Super Metroid. :/

Grimm said:

Sense as in the the powerups, dip, and by that I meant, "More sense than randomly shooting at things." Calm down. Sorry for complaining about the almighty Super Metroid. :/

I don't mind you complaining about the almighty Super Metroid, but your argument is illogical since Metroid Prime contains the same level of randomness.

No, it doesn't. There's a big difference. But I don't feel fighting with you, so whatever.

Since the items in Metroid Prime are located in random and illogical places and often require random path-blocking blocks to be destroyed... no, I don't get the big difference.

I don't know what you're complaining about. I figured the glass tube part out on my own. It was fairly logical to me. As far as most video games go, if you see something that looks different, you play around with it. The doom equivilent is that when you have a panel on a wall of a different texture, you try opening it and if that doesn't work, you try shooting it. If there doesn't seem to be some way of opening it directly, you remember it because there might be a switch that opens it for you.
Same principle.

The glass tube clearly had something beyond it, and it's a little strange that Maridia would only appear to be three rooms in the map screen. I tried to shoot the glass, I fired a few missiles at it, planted a few bombs, tried a power bomb, and I was through.

CtrlAltDestroy said:

I like the metroid games because in most of them you can sequence break.

I like sequence breaking in Super Metroid because you can get 73% items before you fight the second boss, plus speed runs are fun to.

Speed run record is 0:39, hard to beat :p

Grimm said:

The creators wanted there to be a lot of secret items that would really help you, if found. But giving the limitations of the SNES, the way they did it was the best they could come up with. You don't have to find the items you can only find by randomly shooting. There are enough items that have 'hints' as to where they are to finish the game

I thought that shooting randomly and finding a secret item was quite fun. It made you want to look everywhere to find all the items.

oh, just a random though... "Super Sex Droid"

Hyena said:
The glass tube clearly had something beyond it, and it's a little strange that Maridia would only appear to be three rooms in the map screen. I tried to shoot the glass, I fired a few missiles at it, planted a few bombs, tried a power bomb, and I was through.

took me a FAQ to find it.

I really should finish that bloody game.

Twiztid said:

I like sequence breaking in Super Metroid because you can get 73% items before you fight the second boss, plus speed runs are fun to.

Speed run record is 0:39, hard to beat :p

Heh, yeah. I've gotten 62% in NBMB (never got to lower Norfair and the sand pits in Maridia). 0:48 in a speedrun, though that was crappy and I could probably improve it down to 0:45 only by using one or two savegames instead of running from start to end... or by practicing a little more (especially seeing as I know the game a lot better now than when I got 0:48).

0:39 without 100% items, right?
I've seen quite an impressive speedrun at 1:13 with 100% items. A lot of cool tricks I'd never thought of.

I never played Super Metroid until 2 years ago. I dusted off my Super NES and bought a used copy at the local game store. That game kicked ass. It was much better than the first Metroid(although that one kicks ass too).

I played Metroid Prime for a while. I collected all the weapons and power ups before I realized that I needed to collect all those rune thingys. I didn't want to bother going through the whole game just to find those so I quit playing. It's been a year since I touched the game.

Fredrik said:

Heh, yeah. I've gotten 62% in NBMB (never got to lower Norfair and the sand pits in Maridia). 0:48 in a speedrun, though that was crappy and I could probably improve it down to 0:45 only by using one or two savegames instead of running from start to end... or by practicing a little more (especially seeing as I know the game a lot better now than when I got 0:48).

I can't remember what my percentage is for a NBMB run but i cheated to get into Lower Norfair. I got 0:49 in a speedrun on the SNES, then it broke, and the best I can do on an emulator is 0:57.

Twiztid said:

I can't remember what my percentage is for a NBMB run but i cheated to get into Lower Norfair. I got 0:49 in a speedrun on the SNES, then it broke, and the best I can do on an emulator is 0:57.

What does NBMB stand for? The only thing I could figure out that remotely made sense was "No beating Mother Brain" which I'm guessing is impossible.

Hyena said:

What does NBMB stand for? The only thing I could figure out that remotely made sense was "No beating Mother Brain" which I'm guessing is impossible.

Norfair-Brinstar-Maridia-Brinstar? That's my guess.

No-Boss-Mini-Boss. Get as many items as possible without fighting any boss or miniboss (except the Bomb Torizo).

What I meant was that while the powerups are still randomly scattered, the SOLUTION for getting them isn't as random. And the clues that they're there are better as well.

I strongly disagree with you Grimm. I think one of the reasons why SM is so great is that it doesn't feel as you are being showed around all over the place by someone (like in fusion). Instead you have to figure out the stuff by yourself.

And if you are going to hide something powerful, would you put overly obvious clues to the item's location all over the place? I didn't think so.

Plus, the secrets aren't really necessary. You can beat the game with a minimal amount of missiles and super missiles, and a few energy tanks. You probably don't even need to get the spazer.