Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadowRunner

Doombuilder Door line helps

*Ahem*
Im in ultimate doom mode
Now gherkin needs to do something about this,its way too confusing.
Im trying to make these lines the action of regular open door,and yet all i see is w1,wr,s1,sr.
Where is d1 or dr.
So im asking which s1 or sr line stands for door open?

WTF?

S1 = Switch. 1 time action.
SR = Switch Repeatable. Multiple (indefinate) action.
W1 = Walk across "right-side" facing sidedef. 1 time action.
WR = Walk Repeatable. Each time you walk across the "right-side" facing sidedef, it performs the action.

All of these affect the player. SOME of these, monsters can trigger.

If a # appears, that ONLY means that no line and sector TAGS need to be used.

Otherwise you must assign matching TAGS to the LINEDEF and Sector.

It's not confusing; it's almost verbatim out of the Doom FAQ. and Line Specifications.

It's confusing in that nearly every other Doom editor (at least from my experience) uses the names D1 and DR where DB uses S1# and SR#.

I've seen a few people comment about getting their door types mixed up because of this change in terminology. I've done it myself. And I wouldn't be suprised if people are making this mistake without knowing it if they use Zdoom, as it can cleverly sort out the problem whilst other ports don't.

Yeah, I'd prefer DB to use DR1 myself. A lot of people only test their maps in ZDoom, which reads a door marked SR the same as it does a door marked SR#. Hence if you load their map in any other port, trying to open a door opens the entire map. This happened to two people in my last speedmapping session so I would say it's a widespread problem.

I've never even heard of a DR or D1. Ever since Waded it's been # for me. I fully agree with Tolwyn.

And since # is the actual correct standard (even if the more popular editors use d) shouldn't that be used? What should the "wall scroll horizontally" have if there'll be no #?

CodeImp: Keep them at S1# and SR# or I'll force you to use Waded forever =D

Deewiant said:

And since # is the actual correct standard (even if the more popular editors use d) shouldn't that be used?

actual correct standard? the faq tolwyn referred to is certainly an unofficial one, and i doubt the doom source gave a name such as SR# or DR to linedefs anyway. if there's an "official" type, it's whatever they called it in the original doom editor (that wasn't released anyway). i think the closest you'd find to an official source outside of that is lee killough, and he referred to it as DR and D1.

It doesn't matter to me.

Now that it has been brought up, I've lost a little confidence as to how I remember it was originally laid out.

D1/DR etc. works fine for me.
Don't agree with me! I could be totally full of shit!

By the way, you can simply edit the CFG files and name then whatever you want, so... It's no big deal.

sargebaldy said:

lee killough, and he referred to it as DR and D1.

I think you're right and I think I'm definately mistaken.
Like I said, I'm likely full of shit now that I think about it for a bit. :)

The names D1, DR, S1, etc were probably first 'invented' by DEU. After all it was the first editor. They are also the most commonly used descriptions. I have never seen S1# before and would have found it confusing.

DoomCAD uses "n" as well, it's the equivalent of the "#" db uses. all line types in it are marked with either "y" or "n", for instance things like

045=SRy Lower Floor
001=DRn Door. closes after 6 sec.
048=--n Animated, horizontally scrolling wall.

The n demonstrated the difference in behavior between doors and regular switches, but doors were still marked with the DR and D1 tags since they're easier to understand.