Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Weakmind

If you could crate a monster for classic Doom, what would it be?

dsm said:

Your mom.

Dammnit. You took mine. I was actually going to say that.

Seriously, if I were to do a new monster for Doom, I think it'd suck and be out of place. I'm really not that great at coming up with cool monster concepts and I hate the thought of fucking up Doom by adding my retarded monsters to it.

I'm tempted to make sprites for a "Classic Doom" interpretation of the Doom 3 Cherub (but that's not original now is it? Plus, I dunno how this thing attacks).

A fucked up tree with flesh stretched over it.
Penguins with jet packs.
Blue birds with giant man heads.
Rocket propelled heads with Nazi helmet spikes and a huge flamethrower.

I've always wanted Doom to have another boss-level monster or two, and I recently came up with a few random ideas. I don't have any plans to make them, but I think they'd work pretty well if they were put in the game:

-Cybertaur (or some such name): Basically the upper body of a Cyberdemon on top of a partially-cybernetic horse's body, like a centaur. About 2/3 the size of a Cyberdemon (or a little larger than a Baron), with 7 or 8 rocket hits worth of endurance, its main attack is charging forward punching with its fist, doing about the same amount of damage as a direct hit from a Baron's projectile. It also has a weak plasma projectile at long distances, but the monster is fast enough (Arch-Vile speed?) that it can pursue you pretty effectively. For a boss-strength variant, it would be the same height and endurance as a Cyberdemon, but with a large spear instead of the punching attack. The spear would do more damage than the smaller Cybertaur's punch, but less than a Cyberdemon rocket, but with a nasty surprise for anybody trying to fight it point-blank: rising up on its hind legs and then stomping on you, doing enough damage to kill you instantly unless you have an enormous amount of health and armor. But, as its charge is a single vector based on the location you were when it started, it's possible to sidestep its attacks, despite its speed. Its distance attack would be an energy wave thrown across the ground by its spear (think the Maulotaur's fire).

-Azathoth: Think of it as the head of a Baphomet on top of a body that's a cross between a Revenant and a Cyberdemon - nearly skeletal in proportion, but with a number of cybernetic enhancements and tightly-muscled upper arms, chest and legs. Its defining feature would be a set of huge mechanical wings, appearing as a set of rusted steel girders and gears, bristling with "feathers" (actually sharp rusted blades). It would be just slightly taller than the Cyberdemon, but with slightly less endurance than the Spiderdemon, and its primary attack would be waves of razors from its wings. Its melee attack would be swipes of its claws, and it would have the ability to occasionally summon Boss Cubes (with an animation similar to that of the Arch-Vile).

And, since Doom is slightly lacking in the flying monsters department:

-Harvester: Based on a bizarre phenomenon that occurred near here in Crawfordsville several decades ago, called the Crawfordsville Monster. Basically appearing as it does in the picture - a black carpet-like creature bristling with tendrils with a big red eye in its center - it floats near the ceiling of the level and, when it sights you, dives down to attach itself to you and suck out your health gradually (like nukage). You can only get it off by firing a weapon, which will act as a point-blank shot (so NO ROCKETS!), but is fairly weak and can be killed when it starts flying after you.

I'd also think a smaller, weaker version of the Azathoth could work as a flying enemy, with full metal wings and a fireball attack, and the endurance of a Baron.

I would never want them retroactively added to Doom or anything, but they'd be cool enemies in a WAD of some sort I think. :)

Heh, the closest I've come to making new monsters is by butchering existing sprites and making a dehacked patch.

dsm said:

I'm tempted to make sprites for a "Classic Doom" interpretation of the Doom 3 Cherub

That should be lovable, you can use the wings of the Bee from Blood, a resized head of the arch-vile, and I don't know what can be the body

Vegeta said:

That should be lovable, you can use the wings of the Bee from Blood, a resized head of the arch-vile, and I don't know what can be the body

Too cheapass for my tastes :-)
I prefer to modify existing sprites as much as I can so they don't look like they were "stolen" from other sources.

And for an enemy as small as the Cherub, I'd probably do it from scratch.
Then again, doing bee wings sounds difficult, so I'd probably "steal" the Blood bee's wings and try to "improve on" (downgrade?) them so that they look like they fit into Doom's graphics.

But hey, this is all hypothetical - I'm not doing one. At least not yet, I'm too hung up on doing sprites for Rtc-3057 atm :-)

I don't remember there being bees in Blood. There are some in Shadow Warrior though (well, hornets actually).

Ichor said:

I don't remember there being bees in Blood. There are some in Shadow Warrior though (well, hornets actually).

Oh yeah, you're right - confused 'em with the bats in Blood. It's been too long since I last played Blood, maybe I should blast my way through again :-P

In fact, I don't remember having played any FPS with bees/hornets. I just jumped to the clumsy conclusion that Vegeta knew what he was talking about :-P

/Me is embarassed

dsm said:

I'm too hung up on doing sprites for Rtc-3057 atm :-)

Nice!
Is there a chance to see a new demo soon?

I saw the bees in Ebdoom, I didn't remember that they were extracted from Blood.

Cant anyone do something Fucking new?
Heres my idea.

Photonarus-A Iron Robot sized up to the size around the Cyber demon.
Attack-Two Big ass Blue Photon cannons that shoot a blue blast instantly killing anyone in its path.
Design-Silverish-Colored wires around him,Red eyes.
Hit points-Twice as much as the Cyberdemon
Speed-Twice as much as the Cyberdemon

Bam.

ShadowRunner said:

Cant anyone do something Fucking new?
Heres my idea.

Photonarus-A Iron Robot sized up to the size around the Cyber demon.
Attack-Two Big ass Blue Photon cannons that shoot a blue blast instantly killing anyone in its path.
Design-Silverish-Colored wires around him,Red eyes.
Hit points-Twice as much as the Cyberdemon
Speed-Twice as much as the Cyberdemon

Bam.

That monster should not fit in the original DOOM, unless you make a totaly robotic demon, wich could be cool.

You can use something like that in your mods, with sprites from strife (there are lot of large good looking robots).

Vegeta said:

Nice!
Is there a chance to see a new demo soon?

Honestly, I can't really tell. Issues with that thing constantly seem to pop up and fixing them isn't always easy.

I hope it'll be out within a reasonable time (and believe me, I'm also getting rather tired of waiting).

Oh, early in my involvement in RTC-3057, I thought up a boss monster which was a totally black demon with a few, tiny cybernetic implants that served to enhance its magical attacks. My concept of it was basically a lean, but muscular demon with narrow, empty holes as eyes (and a third "hole" as its nostril right above the eyes).

I had lots of plans for its attacks - one of these where essentially an attack in which it'd unleash five mancubus fireballs (they'd fly outward in an expanding arc) - in hindsight not very original. It got scrapped anyway, because Shaviro thought it wouldn't fit in very well.

Assmaster said:

I'd like to see a non-cyber cyberdemon. But I guees that would be too much like the maulator.

Not if it were given a different attack - of course, being non-cybernetic means it wouldn't be as tough anymore (that'd shut up all the "the cyberdemon is too tough!!!" whiners :-P).

dsm said:

Not if it were given a different attack - of course, being non-cybernetic means it wouldn't be as tough anymore (that'd shut up all the "the cyberdemon is too tough!!!" whiners :-P).

I like to think of the Cyberdemon as being an enhancement of a powerful demon lord that ranks above the Baron in terms of physical strength and hellspawn magic. An unenhanced "cyberdemon" would probably work as a 12-rocket affair, but with a very powerful magic-type attack... possibly similar to the Arch-Vile's hitscan-based blast, or the Maulotaur's ground-traveling waves of fire. And this time, he could actually use his claws as a melee attack. :P

And when I described the Cybertaur, I didn't intend for it to look exactly like a Cyberdemon or a Maulotaur, but a cybernetic centaur with similar visual effects and style... basically, looking like a kind of distant cousin to them both.

I've always wanted more insectoid demons in Doom too, but that'd be rather out of style for it... it'd probably cross a little too much into the realm of "weird aliens" rather than demons. But make the designs hellish enough, and they could work. Personally, I'd love to see a mantis-demon, with four arms of razor-sharp, jagged mantis claws, a wolf's-head with giant mandibles and a separating jaw, and a skinny, chitinous black body with numerous legs and a ragged, dirty, "rough" appearance similar to that of a roughed-up Cacodemon. Melee attack of slicing with the claws, of course, and a distance attack of vomiting out huge globs of acid from its gaping maw. Give it 3-4 rocket hits worth of endurance.

In the realm of flying monsters, something like a giant wasp - more specifically, a giant tarantula hawk - would work well too. Give it a big lumpy head with zillions of eyes like the Doom 3 imp, a bloated chitinous body, big ragged wings, claws that are a cross between those of a crab and those of a mantis, and of course an enormous, spiny, jagged stinger that looks like the tool of Hell's dentists. Let it swoop down with its stinger and melee attack with the claws, and perhaps give it a distance attack of a "psychic" hitscan (or possibly use its stinger as a rocket?). The regular version can be a 3-rocket kill, but I'd also like a boss version - a "queen bee," if you will - that also spawns slow, bloated maggots from its gargantuan abdomen. The maggots can be as strong as regular demons, but with a relatively weak tendril attack that can hit from any angle but slowly pulls the player in if he doesn't shoot it. When the player gets sucked into the maggot, he gets eaten and instakilled (akin to the ceiling things in Half-Life). The Queen can be about as strong as a Spiderdemon or a little less.

And I don't care what anybody thinks, I thought the Motherdemon from Doom64 was really fucking cool, and I'd love to see it as a kind of boss creature in regular Doom.

(edit) Actually, the mantis creature should have five claws: two medium-sized claws on one side, one gigantic one on the other, with two tiny, malformed, nearly-vestigal claws twitching underneath it. Complete asymmetry like that always helps to make something more nightmarish and bizarre. :)

Ubik said:

And I don't care what anybody thinks, I thought the Motherdemon from Doom64 was really fucking cool, and I'd love to see it as a kind of boss creature in regular Doom.

It had awesome attacks - really awesome attacks. And fighting it was rather cool.
/me refrains from listing the negatives

A reinterpretation of the Mother(fucker)demon, or a demon inspired by the motherdemon, for a PC Doom mod would be cool.

dsm said:

It had awesome attacks - really awesome attacks. And fighting it was rather cool.
/me refrains from listing the negatives

A reinterpretation of the Mother(fucker)demon, or a demon inspired by the motherdemon, for a PC Doom mod would be cool.

What do you think the negatives are? If you're going to say its appearance, I'd say that's actually my favorite thing about it: it's like a flying hybrid of a fetus and a wasp. :) It's not quite in the style of the hooves-and-horns demons, but its utter strangeness actually makes it all the more hellish to me. :)

One more concept (I'm full of them today!): the Golgorchid, a hellish flower made entirely of rotting meat and pulsing organs. It would, of course, be stationary, but would attack at a distance by throwing seed pods that explode into damaging clouds of spores (think the gas-spewing mushrooms in Hexen, or more accurately the Cleric's flechettes). If you get close enough, the "flower" itself will gnash and bite at you with its teeth (which haphazardly and irregularly line the center of the blossom like a garbage dispoasl in need of a dentist). It wouldn't be too strong - at most, an endurance matching a Revenant's - but it would tend to appear in groups of 2 or 3, making the spore-throwing attack a real liability when under pressure from other enemies as well.

The name may be stupid, but it is, of course, temporary. ;)

/edit Actually, the gameplay possibilities of a spore-throwing enemy are pretty interesting... they can be used strategically to take out other monsters, or leading them into infighting (if the spore attacks work that way).

Ooh! Ooh! I got another one! :D

"The Crawler" is basically the upper body of a large, four-armed demon. Instead of walking - as it has no legs and its body ends below its chest, dragging the rest of its bloody spine along like a tail - it uses its four arms to pull itself across the ground, and can do so suprisingly quickly. When in range, it uses its two larger, closer arms to grab and slash at the player, and at longer ranges will pound the ground to make small earthquakes (basically a hitscan attack) or spew globs of blood from its mouth (which is simply a puckered, sucking gash in an otherwise totally featureless face). He can be about as wide as a Spiderdemon (probably slightly narrower), but obviously a lot lower to the ground, with a stamina equivalent to about seven rockets.