Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

Differences in ZDoom/Skulltag Editing

I'm playing around a little with Skulltag editing... and one of the things I'm trying to do is make "appearing" and "disappearing" runes. I have a little pedistal that, when you press its side, the rune appears (by using a sector within the pedistal that has a floor of -256, compared to the pedistal's 32). Then after you leave, you'll walk across lines that make the rune go down again. At least, that's what should happen.

I have two such pedistal setups now, and they're both connected to the same dummy sector (with a floor of -256). The switch lines are Floor_RaiseToHighest and the tripwires are Floor_LowerToLowest (each pedistal has different tags, of course). All the lines have speeds of 255. The problem is, the tripwires make the rune appear as well, instead of disappearing by lowering its floor to the dummy sector's floor. It's as if the dummy sector was ignored. Is this just something that's changed in ZDoom/Skulltag editing? What can I do to make the rune go down again instantly?

netnomad312 said:

I'm playing around a little with Skulltag editing... and one of the things I'm trying to do is make "appearing" and "disappearing" runes. I have a little pedistal that, when you press its side, the rune appears (by using a sector within the pedistal that has a floor of -256, compared to the pedistal's 32). Then after you leave, you'll walk across lines that make the rune go down again. At least, that's what should happen.

I have two such pedistal setups now, and they're both connected to the same dummy sector (with a floor of -256). The switch lines are Floor_RaiseToHighest and the tripwires are Floor_LowerToLowest (each pedistal has different tags, of course). All the lines have speeds of 255. The problem is, the tripwires make the rune appear as well, instead of disappearing by lowering its floor to the dummy sector's floor. It's as if the dummy sector was ignored. Is this just something that's changed in ZDoom/Skulltag editing? What can I do to make the rune go down again instantly?

Make sure the hole you are lowering the rune in is larger than the rune itself. Otherwise the movement clipping code will put it on the highest floor it touches. It seems that exactly this is happening here. You may have to use a little scripting to teleport the rune somewhere else if the hole gets too large.

Bleh... I'm not familiar with the length of runes. But yeah, that was it, thanks.

EDIT: Great, now the pedestals are too big... well, I'll have to use another method. I know things can be spawned and destroyed by pressing a button... but that special requires a "type" argument. The first pedestal I made had a Haste rune on it, and that was type 5109. Unfortunately, I can't seem to enter an integer larger than 255... so I guess I can't do that either. So, any other methods of doing this?

netnomad312 said:

Bleh... I'm not familiar with the length of runes. But yeah, that was it, thanks.

EDIT: Great, now the pedestals are too big... well, I'll have to use another method. I know things can be spawned and destroyed by pressing a button... but that special requires a "type" argument. The first pedestal I made had a Haste rune on it, and that was type 5109. Unfortunately, I can't seem to enter an integer larger than 255... so I guess I can't do that either. So, any other methods of doing this?

Try using TeleportOther to teleport the rune from and to an off-map sector where the player can't see or touch it.

It's a line special so you don't even need a script.

You need two map spots: one on the pedestal, the other in the off-map sector. Let's say that tid=1 is the pedestal, 2 is off-map and tid=3 is the rune.

With
TeleportOther(3,2,0) you hide the rune and with
TeleportOther(3,1,0) you put it back on the pedestal.

Actually, I've never used map spots yet. (Also, I'm not trying scripts yet)

There are two map spot items... one needs 5 "tag" arguments, the other "has gravity." Since I didn't know what arguments to put, I chose the one with gravity. So now I have two such things, one on the pedestal, one in a dummy sector. For now I also put the rune there, not knowing where else to put it.

First problem: I can't find "TeleportOther." I found "TeleportAll" in Thing specials, but that's it.

Also, how do I define a "tid?" I have two map spots... how does it (or I) know which is which?

netnomad312 said:

Actually, I've never used map spots yet. (Also, I'm not trying scripts yet)

There are two map spot items... one needs 5 "tag" arguments, the other "has gravity." Since I didn't know what arguments to put, I chose the one with gravity. So now I have two such things, one on the pedestal, one in a dummy sector. For now I also put the rune there, not knowing where else to put it.

First problem: I can't find "TeleportOther." I found "TeleportAll" in Thing specials, but that's it.

Also, how do I define a "tid?" I have two map spots... how does it (or I) know which is which?

1. Please tell me first what editor you are using. Knowing that makes helping you a lot easier.
2. A Tid is a property of a thing in the ZDoom/Hexen map format. It may be called Thing ID or something like that.
3. If the TeleportOther special is missing it's possible you have an outdated config. If the special indices are displayed look for #76. Maybe it's just named differently.

If you have resolved these basic problems you have to do the following to make it work (no scripts involved ;-) ):

Put one map spot (#9001 on the pedestal and give it a Tid of 1. Now put the second map spot off the map and give it a Iid of 2.
You don't have to set the arguments for neither of them.
Put the rune where you want it to start and give it a Tid of 3.
Now put on all lines that shall make the rune visible the TeleportOther(1,3,0 special and on those that shall make it vanish TeleportOther(2,3,0)

I'm using WadAuthor, and the Skulltag config I'm using is indeed missing some stuff... but I just made it "type 76" instead, that should work. Except, how do I set a Thing ID? I suppose it could be like an argument... or do you mean give the map spots tags? I've tried that already (rune has tag 8, pedestal spot has tag 6, the switch is type 76 with arguments 6, 8) and the rune doesn't move at all.

EDIT: I'd like to edit the config as well, except I have no clue what to put for "ID" when adding add a line type... for instance, the "TeleportAll" is

0x094 10 TeleportAll( tid, -, -, -, - )
The first one is the ID...

netnomad312 said:

I'm using WadAuthor, and the Skulltag config I'm using is indeed missing some stuff... but I just made it "type 76" instead, that should work. Except, how do I set a Thing ID? I suppose it could be like an argument... or do you mean give the map spots tags? I've tried that already (rune has tag 8, pedestal spot has tag 6, the switch is type 76 with arguments 6, 8) and the rune doesn't move at all.

I never used WadAuthor. But Tids are for things what tags are for sectors so tag may be the correct field.

Maybe... but then again, things can have the same tag numbers as lines and be affected by them. That means, in the editors that use tid, a line with tag 1 would affect a thing with tid 1?

...then I wonder why it's not working. Hmm.

EDIT: Heh... I flipped the numbers around and it works. So in your model (3,1,0) and (3,2,0) would work. Yeah, that seemed kind of fishy that the tagged thing in quesiton didn't come first. I also learned that the specials still work after you take the rune (it respawned off the map).

netnomad312 said:

Maybe... but then again, things can have the same tag numbers as lines and be affected by them. That means, in the editors that use tid, a line with tag 1 would affect a thing with tid 1?

...then I wonder why it's not working. Hmm.

EDIT: Heh... I flipped the numbers around and it works. So in your model (3,1,0) and (3,2,0) would work. Yeah, that seemed kind of fishy that the tagged thing in quesiton didn't come first. I also learned that the specials still work after you take the rune (it respawned off the map).

Ouch! Sorry, but I don't know how something that stupid could happen. I had it right in my first post...