Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord of the Noobs

Project: DooM II The Souls of Hell

Well, you may remember my pathetic thread that some of you so kindly replied to ^_^ Well, I'm back again, and I've finally got a name for my MegaWAD in the making... and a bit of story ideas... I'm going to post them a bit later, when I have them formulated properly. Anyway, I need a bit of help with WAD compiling. My WAD is 3 complete levels long, this time FIXED somewhat, but I cannot send you the current file, since it's TNT with the first 3 levels replaced with mine. I'm working on Level 4 - Jail at the moment. I'm just designing the skeleton and the remote doors and secrets. I'll add in key items soon, then I'll toss enemies, goodies, and ammo left right and center. Well, I'd love some help with this... it's basic, yes, but I'm getting better. I first need a WAD compiling program, so I can customize this MegaWAD of mine (32 levels when it's finished). Well, I hope to hear from you guys soon! Talk to you later!

~Tony

You know, it is possible to make the levels in a new wad. You can save multiple maps in a one wad as long as they are on different levels. IE, map01, map02, map03 are all in wad.wad.

Actually, yes, but I don't know how to have it map01, map02, map03, etc. I TRIED, but the only way I could do it is to open up TNT and save over their levels. I'll compile my own WAD, since I need different music in different levels, same with cut scenes. I need to do that... map01, map02... won't tell me how or let me do it... bloody shareware WADAuthor -_-

~Tony

"Save as". It should prompt you what level you want to save it as as well.

Hmmm... it just says .wad... how do you combine single level WADs into multi level ones... and how do you set the music and cut scenes for them? I think WADAuthor lets you, but only the full version. =\

~Tony

Lord of the Noobs said:

Hmmm... it just says .wad... how do you combine single level WADs into multi level ones... and how do you set the music and cut scenes for them? I think WADAuthor lets you, but only the full version. =\

~Tony

It's a bad wadauthor limitation, but it doesn't allow you to create new level entries.

Download XWE and open up your wadfile in it. Copy all entries starting from MAPXX and ending with BLOCKMAP, and then paste them again. After this, simply rename MAPXX to whatever new map you want it to be.

Or download DeepSea which'll no doubt have a similar function.

Thanks for that XWE thingy (bleh, VERY tired... massive headache), but I have no clue how to use it... all I managed to do was to delete the other 28 maps in the WAD that weren't my creation... I think I should be able to destribute it now....

Addendum: Here's the link to the game! The first three levels are finished, but the fourth is still under construction, part of the floor plans are done, but there is no red key yet, so don't bother looking ^_^ http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/wodrw/Doom_3.zip

~Tony

Lord of the Noobs said:

Thanks for that XWE thingy (bleh, VERY tired... massive headache), but I have no clue how to use it... all I managed to do was to delete the other 28 maps in the WAD that weren't my creation... I think I should be able to destribute it now....

Addendum: Here's the link to the game! The first three levels are finished, but the fourth is still under construction, part of the floor plans are done, but there is no red key yet, so don't bother looking ^_^ http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/wodrw/Doom_3.zip

~Tony

Just do exactly as I said, you can hold down control to multi-select the MAPXX -> BLOCKMAP entries and then copy and paste are in the Edit section of the menu bar.

I think what I did was sufficent... maybe someone could download it to see if what I did was okay... if not, I'll do my best to fix it... tomorrow, though... to tired to do it tonight.

~Tony

YAY! I fixed the problem after about an hour of trying different things.... Anyway, I'd love some feedback on my WAD... http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/wodrw/DooM_II_-_The_Souls_of_Hell.wad

I'll soon start writing a bit of a story for it, so it won't just be another pointless WAD where you go around blasting anything that looks at you funny.

~Tony

I don't know if this is your first map (or series thereof) or not, but assuming it is, I'd say they're not too bad. But before spending all your time on trying to release x-number of maps, just try to make one good one. That way you can focus all your efforts more easily. Also, look into adding detail, better texture alignment and more judicial monster/item choice and placement. However, I think you're on your way to making some good maps.

Hmmm... sound advice. I have some ideas for the following missions... thanks for playing them, BTW. Oh, before I ramble on about other stuff, yes, those are my first 3 complete missions. I've tried to jazz them up a bit with more detail, and I'm quite pleased. Here are the PlAnZ that I've drawn up so far....

Level 1 - Military Hanger: Complete
Level 2 - Power Station: Complete
Level 3 - Blitz: Complete
Level 4 - Jail: Cubicish, maze-like, really confined. Lots of cells.
Level 5 - The Shafts: Descending, lots of close quarters combat, few traps, maze-like.
Level 6 - Outer Core: Another maze, half tech, half shaft motif. The clue is to follow the tech, the more advanced the tech, the closer to the exit you are.
Level 7 - Inner Core: Hidden BFG9000 - at last. Lots of tech, ordered level layout, some hellish corruption, have many patch leading to the center (using key cards it will become the exit, after killing a Spider Mastermind).
Level 8 - Positively Simple: Sort of a tribute to Dead Simple.
Level 9 - Emperor: Layout like a thumbs-up on the left side, thumbs down on right side, connected with a battle arena that refills with monsters. Cyberdemon as final boss of the level (the "Emperor").
Level 10 - Hellsville: Outerlimits of a hellish corrupted city. Open battles and firefights.
Level 11 - House on Haunted Hill: Open level with a heavily guarded building. Inside of building filled with gay traps and secret level.
Level 31 - Mission Impossible: A Nazi level, with lots of sneaking around required to beat it. Only weapons cashes at the end of the level, so pointless to try to kill everybody. Super secret enterance to last secret level.
Level 32 - Blitzkrieg: A recreation of Level 3 - Blitz, but once you hit the exit switch, the level really opens up. VERY hard, with approx 20 Cyberdemons. Every annoying trap thinkable. No one gets out alive theme. Hardest level peroid.

Well, those are the plans I have worked out, so I'd like feedback on those as well as the levels that I've already made ^_^ Thanks for reading!

~Tony

Lord of the Noobs said:

Level 3 - Blitz, but once you hit the exit switch, the level really opens up. VERY hard, with approx 20 Cyberdemons. Every annoying trap thinkable. No one gets out alive theme. Hardest level peroid.

~Tony

Now, what makes you think people are going to want to play something like this? I don't want to come off sounding like an asshole or anything, but seriously, who wants to play a map with every "annoying trap thinkable" and "20 Cyberdemons"? Surely there are other ways of making a level difficult, rather than filling it full of traps and rediculous amounts of enemies?

DooMBoy said:

Now, what makes you think people are going to want to play something like this? I don't want to come off sounding like an asshole or anything, but seriously, who wants to play a map with every "annoying trap thinkable" and "20 Cyberdemons"? Surely there are other ways of making a level difficult, rather than filling it full of traps and rediculous amounts of enemies?

It being a secret level gives it a certain amount of license for silliness, I suppose.

Well, that is sort of my point... it's a SUPER SECRET level, so it'll be almost impossible to find in the first place (like Level 32 - Grosse of DooM II). Remember Level 32 - Go 2 It of Plutonia? This will be sort of like that, but harder. Each hidden level is supposed to have a quirk to it, and Level 31 will be sort of like Mission Impossible, with Nazis and other baddies swarming around everywhere. Level 32 will just be damn near impossible to beat. Like, the enemies will come in packs, with increasing difficulty of placement and combinations and quantities (plus being a harder enemy) until the level is almost complete. Nearing completion, and thus defeat, the level will spew Arch-Viles all over the place whilst opening up the hidden exit somewhere. Of course, I'll probably station 5 or 6 Cyberdemons and other nasties at the exit door... this doesn't mean you have to KILL them, of course, just avoid getting splattered all over the walls by their missile fire ^_^

Here's the revised levle plans for my game... what I've done of them.

Level 1 - Military Hanger: Complete
Level 2 - Power Station: Complete
Level 3 - Blitz: Complete
Level 4 - Jail: Cubicish, maze-like, really confined. Lots of cells.
Level 5 - The Shafts: Descending, lots of close quarters combat, few traps, maze-like.
Level 6 - Outer Core: Another maze, half tech, half shaft motif. The clue is to follow the tech, the more advanced the tech, the closer to the exit you are.
Level 7 - Inner Core: Hidden BFG9000 - at last. Lots of tech, ordered level layout, some hellish corruption, have many patch leading to the center (using key cards it will become the exit, after killing a Spider Mastermind).
Level 8 - Positively Simple: Sort of a tribute to Dead Simple.
Level 9 - Emperor: Layout like a thumbs-up on the left side, thumbs down on right side, connected with a battle arena that refills with monsters. Cyberdemon as final boss of the level (the "Emperor").
Level 10 - Hellsville: Outerlimits of a hellish corrupted city. Open battles and firefights.
Level 11 - House on Haunted Hill: Open level with a heavily guarded building. Inside of building filled with gay traps and secret level.
Level 31 - Mission Impossible: A Nazi level, with lots of sneaking around required to beat it. Only weapons cashes at the end of the level, so pointless to try to kill everybody. Super secret enterance to last secret level.
Level 32 - Blitzkrieg: A recreation of Level 3 - Blitz, but once you hit the exit switch, the level really opens up. VERY hard, with approx 20 Cyberdemons. Every annoying trap thinkable. No one gets out alive theme. Hardest level peroid.
Level 12 - Catacombs: Urban subterrainian maze, part "basements," part dug shafts. Annoying traps in city part. Hellish corruption at heart of maze.
Level 13 - Jake's Appartment: Huge, corrupt building, one of those "good luck getting out of here" situations, perhaps chuck a Cyberdemon somewhere. Start near the top of building, street blow containing exit. One massive battle outside appartment. Appartment full of puzzles and traps.
Level 14 - The Outer Limits: City limits level, lots of small houses, tough open battling.
Level 15 - Pitfall - Lots of deadly dropping, pits, ambushes in the maze-like level.
Level 16 - Run: Open ground, 10 cages containing Cyberdemons, lots of teleports everywhere, some will let you telefrag the CDs, but the others will put you in their line of fire. Long tunnel with many enemies after all the Cyberdemons are dead.
Level 17 - Le Castelle: Big castle, with a moat, hard to get into. Sort of like Level 19 of DooM II.
Level 18 - Tricks and Traps II: Recreation of the original Tricks and Traps, but a hell of a lot harder. New textures, enemies, and places to go.
Level 19 - Chop Suey: Fast paced level, running and strafing required to stay alive, lots of firefights and combat.
Level 20 - The Enterance to Hell: A remix of The Icon of Sin.

~Tony

As a side note, I have a list of music that I'd probably use for my levels....

Level 1 - d_runnin
Level 2 - e1m4
Level 3 - d_tense
Level 4 - e1m1
Level 5 - d_romero
Level 6 - e1m2
Level 7 - d_countd
Level 8 - e1m5
Level 9 - e2m8
Level 10 - d_in_cit
Level 11 - d_shawn
Level 31 - d_tense