Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Asmodeus

Triggering the invasion.

I know for sure that for the first part of the game you are able to walk around a portion of the base and "maybe" interact with NPC's and do stuff before you "report to duty". Then the shit hits the fan.

How do you think the invasion will be triggered ?
I like the half-life style, how your actually part of the experiment, makes the flow of the level realistic cause no matter how long you walk around the invasion isnt gonna happen until you spark it.

Im not sure how realistic it would be should the invasion happen as soon as you just report to duty, and would like to play some part in the happenings, or, maybe you can wander the facillity but be on a timer, so exactly 5/10 mins into the game no matter where you are its lights out and the gasme begins.
Know thats not gonna happen tho cause id have already stated you can wander around as long as you want.

What do you think ?

Rather than have a direct part in the event, I'd prefer to be amongst others wandering around carrying out their routine duties when it first happens.

It'd be good if the event wasn't simply triggered in my opinion. For instance if you had a few small tasks to carry out, and it happened at a random point in any one of them. It'd be more suspenseful than walking into a suspicious looking room which smells of a triggered scene.

Yeah exactly my point, I dont want to walk over an invisible "trigger" line before everything happens.
But then for it to seem realistic you would have to be part of the experiment to have any effect on triggering it yourself. Other wise it would seem unrealistic.

So I preffer the happens at a set time rather than place idea, but sadly, this is not the case.
I know its hardly a big deal but it is kind of a big story line element, which I hope is implemented well.

Or it could be a timed event. You could walk around doing whatever, but the event will take place at a certain time, wherever you happened to be. And if you fail to report to a certain area by the time, it becomes a great deal harder to complete the first stages.

It could be triggered at a random moment, and which ever room you're in at the moment will affect the difficulty of getting to the next objective.

Ichor said:

Or it could be a timed event. You could walk around doing whatever, but the event will take place at a certain time, wherever you happened to be. And if you fail to report to a certain area by the time, it becomes a great deal harder to complete the first stages.

Nice idea, but id have already stated that you can walk around for as long as you can before you "report to duty" then the invasion begins.

So im thinking you will report to duty then a nice cutscene adn everything goes to shit.

Shame tho, cause I really like the set time/random place idea.

Asmodeus said:

Nice idea, but id have already stated that you can walk around for as long as you can before you "report to duty" then the invasion begins.

So im thinking you will report to duty then a nice cutscene adn everything goes to shit.

Shame tho, cause I really like the set time/random place idea.

Yeah, it'd give much more of a feeling of the sudden surprise, terror and confusion such an event would incur.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Yeah, it'd give much more of a feeling of the sudden surprise, terror and confusion such an event would incur.

Exactly, Imagine walking along knowing its gonna happen but not sure when, then suddenly a huge bang, the structure shakes and starts to fall apart around you, then you get knocked out or something and wake up a bit later when its all calmed down, but, whilst your out cold maybe a breif cutscene of what went wrong, OR you could maybe find out later from NPC's along with a little cutscene with a talk over from the guy/girl your talking too.

I don't really mind events being tightly scripted, as long as it's not overly obvious. Yeah Half-Life isn't as good when you play it second time through, but the first time it was one of the most mesmerizing game experiences I'd ever had. And now my classic closing statement - I'm sure id know what they're doing.

I'd prefer it to be a specific area you have to go to - like a counter you walk up to to report for duty to fetch your equipment.

I hate timed situations. If I want to check out the area, I'd like to take my bloody time doing it and not have to rush around to get to see all the things/hear all the witty comments from the various scientists/guards.

On the opposite end, if I just want to get straight into the action, I would want to be able to report for duty right away. Yes, you can save a game right after the invasion if you want to get into the action, but that usually kills a bit of the immersion - feels like you missed something essential. Nah, I prefer full freedom.

Why not have it both ways? So, you can explore your surroundings first, talk to NPCs and such, until you 'report for duty' at a specific location which allows you to proceed to the next area. Once entering that area a timer starts running to set off events.

Yeah, I like the idea of walking around until you find something, or report fr duty. It makes you feel free.

Mordeth said:

Why not have it both ways? So, you can explore your surroundings first, talk to NPCs and such, until you 'report for duty' at a specific location which allows you to proceed to the next area. Once entering that area a timer starts running to set off events.

On the opposite end, if I just want to get straight into the action, I would want to be able to report for duty right away. Yes, you can save a game right after the invasion if you want to get into the action, but that usually kills a bit of the immersion - feels like you missed something essential. Nah, I prefer full freedom.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I still prefer the random time option. I can just imagine reporting for duty and thinking "here we go...".

How about this. The first level gives you the opportunity to explore the Mars base. When you're done sniffing around and questioning people you go to your quarters. As soon as you enter the room you see an animation of the marine getting to bed. The level ends.
The next level starts with a scripted sequence where you wake up at a random time from the noise of screams and explosions. The invasion starts.
This way you can still explore the base as long as you like, but you don't have the feeling of "summoning" the invasion, as it happens some time during your sleep.

Ichor said:

This is the best idea imo. It gives you the element of suprise, and having a series of objectives to complete b4 the shit hits the fan is a great way to imerse the player. If you didn't get it done before hand, its your own damn fault that you have to do it with the demons around.

or:

1 in every ten sold: The invasion never occurs. "Damn, I've been playing Doom 3 for 5 months now and nothing's happened yet, but man am I feeling the suspense. I think people take reality and immersion too far sometimes. When I can look behind me and see my bed, I know I'm playing a game. Maybee id can ship a VR helmet with the game too? Or how about optical wires from your computer to your eyes so you have that total effect? IV to your heart? If you die in the game you do in real life? WE WANT MORE IMMERSION!

I personally like the idea of the hero being sent to do some minor task in some place that is peripheral to the main parts of the base. That'd be able to explain why he survives while nearly everyone else in the base gets killed and zombified.

Tyockell said:

Hell to me the more freedom and suprise the better.

But if the invasion occurs at a surprising point in time, you won't have the freedom to explore the whole base as long as you like.

I like the idea of a timed event with stuff happening to warn you that something might happen. Like the lights going out for a few seconds.

Would be nice admiring the level design for a while and boom, the invasion begins and we are crappin ourselves making sure we don't run into a mass load of zombies and imps. But i'm guessing you just go down that elevator like in the alpha, before you confront any enemies.