Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

NIGHTMARE MODE...how far?

I'm on the Phobos Lab in Doom, on Nightmare. When I first had Doom I coulf only make it as far as the exit of e1m1. But now with a better control setup, I'm actually on map 5. How far have you guys made it in Doom, on nightmare mode?

Shapeless said:

I'm on the Phobos Lab in Doom, on Nightmare. When I first had Doom I coulf only make it as far as the exit of e1m1. But now with a better control setup, I'm actually on map 5. How far have you guys made it in Doom, on nightmare mode?

I never seriously played Nightmare. I want my monsters to remain dead when I kill them ! ;-)

Haha, me too, I tried Nightmare a long time ago when I was quite new to doom and only had the shareware, I died in the second level. :P
I've never tried it seriously since then, I should do that. :D

The first and last time I played NIGHTMARE seriously, was in Doom 2. I made it to map05. Then I stopped, sat down and asked myself "Well dumbass, do you think this is fun?"
Obviously, the response to my own question was "No", so I went back to my beloved Ultra Violence.
Like Graf Zahl, I prefer my enemies to remain dead (otherwise death is no punishment for them >:-]).

"Are you sure? This skill level isn't even remotely fair."

When I first saw the warning I pissed in my pants from fear and never actually tried it. I spent the first three years playing on ITYTD with IDDQD and hiding in the bathroom whenever I saw/heard anything bigger than a Cacodemon. Then I improved and now I can at least beat Level 1 on UV. Mind you, starting from scratch!

I don't like Nightmare! simply because it makes all backtracking insanely difficult. I've never tried to "play through" on Nightmare!, but I've beaten a few various levels (E1M1, MAP32, etc).

It mostly means you have to speedrun and ignore monsters, which I don't like doing (I like to kill them all!).

Hah!! I have beet Doom 1 and 2 on Nightmare... is that believible, becuase it is the trueth! I like to get alot of ammo

I just finished Episode 1: knee deep in the dead on Nighmare!. I can herdly beleave it. one on the reasons I tried beating it on nighmare, is because of how easy I found UV to be. with this new control setup I've been using for years since Q2. W.A.S.D with my right hand on the mouse. Soo Nightmare was a must. I remember trying to beat the doom shareware on nighmare years ago, but the best I could do is die trying to flip the exit switch at the end of E1M1.

one tip I have to anyone who tries Nighmare...Save alot. In fact one stratagy I have when I have some 20 monsters are after me. Is to save my game, then right after I save I load the game I just saved.
Tada! All the monsters that were just after me are now neautral. just standiong there.

GOOD LUCK!

People save their games during nightmare? What's the point?

To answer the question. I've only been able to beat episode 3 on nightmare (no, no saving). I cant beat ep1 due to all the hitscan enemies though. And I always seem to get a little lost later in ep2.

I've played UD and D2 on NM, trying to get as far as I could without dying.

Episode 1 was alright. I beat it all (even secret map, though I did it seperately) fairly quickly. Mainly only targetted the shotgunners, since they inflict terrible damage within seconds.

In Ep2, I died stupidly in E2M4, crushed by a crusher while in the middle of fighting a Baron.

In Ep3, I got terribly lucky and made it to E3M7 and died while running around in the blood.

In Ep4, I only got to E4M2 before being mutilated immediately.

In Doom2 I got to MAP08 before getting killed by a pack of demons.

Like Michael Jackson, I can beat it anytime I desire.
but as far as DOOM is concerned, I wonder if there are any maps designed for nm play (other than the Compet-N pwads).

Opulent said:

Like Michael Jackson, I can beat it anytime I desire.

All I can say to this is:
I fail it!
My skills are not enough!

I think I could beat Doom 1 on nightmare If I really tried hard. But like Graf Zahl and dsm said before: "You kill monster to see them killed." And monster respawning each 8 seconds force you to blaze though the level with no attenition to the game. I don't like playing games not paying attenition to them. No matter how many times I've beaten the game through.

ellmo said:

And monster respawning each 8 seconds...

Actually, monsters respawn in random intervals of time. 8 seconds is the shortest possible as far as I know and it may take up to a minute. Once, while recording, I was trapped in one room because of a bug; I had just killed two cacos and I decided then to wait for them to respawn and kill again; and to go on until I'm out of ammo. So, they respawned once quite quickly but after that 3 or 4 minutes passed until one of them finally respawned. I don't know why it took so long, I wasn't standing on their respawn spots.

Donce said:

Actually, monsters respawn in random intervals of time. 8 seconds is the shortest possible...

Didn't knew that. Seems I'm not as familiar with nightmare as I thought...

Nightmare! is too fucking frustrating for the likes of me. And like some of these other Doomers I prefer the demons to stay dead, dammit :)

Ichor said:
Great. Now make a demo or two.

Weakmind said:

Who... me?

Yeah you, make demos, and show to the world your great mad skillzzz !!!

:))

or we won't trust you at all... or your words will be taken as lame ass boasting

Weakmind said:

Hah!! I have beet Doom 1 and 2 on Nightmare... is that believible, becuase it is the trueth! I like to get alot of ammo

Oh yea, I say you're full of shit.
Do you have any idea how fucking hard E1 is? Or Doom II for that matter?

:P

"Hah!! I have beet Doom 1 and 2 on Nightmare... is that believible, becuase it is the trueth! I like to get alot of ammo"

Liar! The fact that you have joined only fairly recently suggests to me the fact that you are a newbie that craves respect from the Doom Diehards on this forum...

The way weakmind writes proves that he is either an english speaking retarded teen... or a lame foreigner that just want to boast and spam us with stupid posts.

To Weakmind : learn better english before posting again and also learn to behave and prove what you say you did...