• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

After Doom3

What do you want id doing after Doom 3?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want id doing after Doom 3?

• Doom 4 / Expansions for Doom3
    • Quake 4
    • Something completely new

The question is: What do you see/want id doing, considering Doom3 is a massive success? I really do hope they hold off on Q4 for a bit and try something else. It'd be interesting to see what the guys could do with a different genre.

I heard that they may do something completely different. As for what I'd like for them to do, how about if they get the rights to Blood and do a remake?

I want to see them farm out a doom2 remake to Greymatter or something, and focus on Carmack's new next-gen ideas.

Yeah.

For some reason, I had the idea not too long ago where I'd like to see them do a fighting game. Though I think I remember it simply because it's such an odd idea.

A remake of Doom II. Imagine what a destroyed city full of Demons would look like with Doom 3's engine. After that, something new, or a Doom RPG.

Arioch said:

I want to see them farm out a doom2 remake to Greymatter or something, and focus on Carmack's new next-gen ideas.

Yeah.

Yeah.

Arioch said:

Yeah.

Yeah, but Graymatter had better put some thought into the story and not come up with some RtCW'esque storyline. It'd be neat if they could get Matt Costello to continue fleshing out the storyline, or maybe even hiring a new writer (dunno yet if Costello's work on D3 is any good - I hope it is though).

I don't expect a different genre from Id. They're a specialized development team and they do what they're best at: Making first person shooters.
But perhaps a different approach would be neat (storywise and perhaps even gameplaywise). I just hope it doesn't involve Marine no. fourthousandmillion fighting an army of monsters to save all of humanity from certain Doom - it's overused, particularly in Id's games.

Rather, I'd like a new sort of main character to somehow wound up in a remote location filled with hostile monsters. Separated from the few buddies (s)he originally brought along, the main character's objective will simply be to get out alive and make it back home (there would of course be some neato stuff you could do, so it will still seem like you carry out some sort of objectives underway). It doesn't have to be a 1337 elite soldier type of person - even a normal civilian in an unusual situation would do.

A survival horror game, but made as a toned down first person shooter. Why not?

eh? Doom 3 isn't survival horror?

Anyway, they should return to their roots. I want to see hundreds of imps getting mowed by a chaingun, not just a paltry one or two. I want to see a return to surreal level design, not crappy factories. Fuck the story, I want a page of bumph and 50'000 things to mutilate like the old days.

I want a first person shooter.

I would like to see Doom 3 first, before I start fantasysing about an even more spectacular game. To be released in... uh... 2007?

Arno said:

I would like to see Doom 3 first, before I start fantasysing about an even more spectacular game. To be released in... uh... 2007?

If you expect it to be out in 2007, it won't be out this decade :P

darknation said:

eh? Doom 3 isn't survival horror?

Anyway, they should return to their roots. I want to see hundreds of imps getting mowed by a chaingun, not just a paltry one or two. I want to see a return to surreal level design, not crappy factories. Fuck the story, I want a page of bumph and 50'000 things to mutilate like the old days.

I want a first person shooter.

Name one map where you get swarmed with "50'000" things to shoot in ALL of (Ultimate) Doom, Doom 2, and/or Final Doom (which I'll note isn't even technically an id product).

Can't? Me either.

Name one map where you get swarmed with "50'000" things to shoot in ALL of (Ultimate) Doom, Doom 2, and/or Final Doom (which I'll note isn't even technically an id product).

Can't? Me either.

You can't seriously believe he literally meant 50,000 things.

Still, there are few places where you even meet 50. Most levels don't throw more than 5-10 at you simultaneously.

Rellik said:

You can't seriously believe he literally meant 50,000 things.

Or even 500. 2 orders of magnitude lower. And even 50, 3 orders of magnitude lower, would be pretty unreasonable in the original Doom IWADs.

darknation said:

Anyway, they should return to their roots. I want to see hundreds of imps getting mowed by a chaingun, not just a paltry one or two.

ID didn't make Hell Revealed...

I want to see a return to surreal level design, not crappy factories.

Uh, Hello? Doom 2 MAP12 is called The Factory, for crying out loud! Anyway Doom 3's hell levels are supposed to be some of the most surreal they've ever made, so lets wait and see.

Fuck the story, I want a page of bumph and 50'000 things to mutilate like the old days.

Sounds like Serious Sam 2 will be right up your alley :)

Arioch said:

Can't? Me either.

nuts.wad

join the fail it line

Anyway, I was being optimistic, slightly sarcastic and assuming my perfect game has 50 levels populated by 1000 monsters each, it's not that unreasonable.

We are talking back to classic arcade, hordes of weak spawning enimies, MDK x10.

You asked what I wanted to see, that's what I want to see. Something totally insane and totally different from the recent slew of plot-driven snoreathons.

darknation needs a nap:
yeah, well fuck you.

I think I can cover any need to mow down hundreds of enemies at once with the original Doom levels. Time for game where you feel outmatched with every encounter. A Doom2 spinoff where you're an ordinary citizen would be cool. Your knowledge of weapon use is limited to certain common guns, so you have to apply your knowledge to setting traps for the hellspawn. Guerilla tactics all the way. Like making a pungee pit and you're the bait.

A game based on that would be cool, and id's expertise would apply the concept well.