Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chubberz

Bought a copy of final doom today......

......and man is that game a bitch.

I died on the first level of "The plutonia experiment" episode!!!

That game is much harder than doom and doom 2 in my opinion...looks like my dooming days are not over after all!

rejoice!!

(and with zdoom the game just kicks ass, especially the next textures! :P )

chubberz said:

......and man is that game a bitch.

I died on the first level of "The plutonia experiment" episode!!!

That game is much harder than doom and doom 2 in my opinion...looks like my dooming days are not over after all!

rejoice!!

(and with zdoom the game just kicks ass, especially the next textures! :P )

One piece of advice: Play Evilution first. Plutonia is much harder and it's more fun to play it last.

I can do nothing but second Graf Zahl's recommendation.

I also happen to think Plutonia is the better of the two episodes... so you'll save the best part this way =)

ah i cant wait. SO far ive tried both of them and they are sweet. yes, you guys ARE right....plutonia is not a good choice for nubs like me ^ ^

Don't forget that you can't jump. And download the patch that fixes a bug in Evilution's map32 with the yellow key (you can download it at teamtnt.com).

Edit: Oops, map 31, sorry

chubberz said:

Even if you do run out of challenging iwads, there are enough interesting pwads to keep you busy for a lifetime. Plutonia isn't too tough if you're good at strafing - if you're not, it will probably kick your ass.

Oh, and that patch is for TNT map31 and you can get it here. How to use it was discussed literally ad nauseam here, though instructions are also given in the text-file.

Grazza said:

Even if you do run out of challenging iwads, there are enough interesting pwads to keep you busy for a lifetime. Plutonia isn't too tough if you're good at strafing - if you're not, it will probably kick your ass.

Oh, and that patch is for TNT map31 and you can get it here. How to use it was discussed literally ad nauseam here, though instructions are also given in the text-file.

with zdoom anyone can be good at strafing! :)

I love strafing past a cacodemon, and at the same time blasting it with the plasma rifle, then hearing its "fart death" sound and watching its guts come rushing out......OH THE PLEASURE!! =D

chubberz said:

...then hearing its "fart death" sound...

How exactly do you get a fart out of that sound? To me it doesn't sound even remotely like a fart. On topic, thought, yeah, Evilution and Plutonia are awesome. I personally think Evilution has better level design, but Plutonia is more chanllenging to play. Not to mention I don't have a DooM or DooM II iwad anymore, so they're all I've got. :(

Oh yeah. My pick of the two would be Evilution - the difficulty curves gradually instead of kicking your ass at the start like Plutonia. The better looking of the two is definitely Plutonia however, take a look at some of Evilution's levels and they practically scream '96 level design.

chubberz said:

with zdoom anyone can be good at strafing! :)

Yes, it has that unique feature that enables you to remap your keys, doesn't it? ;P

Regarding the cacodemon death, the sounds-only pwad beavis.wad has a great replacement for that noise: it's Butt-Head saying "Whoa, his brains fell out".

Grazza said:

Yes, it has that unique feature that enables you to remap your keys, doesn't it? ;P

Goddamn, when I was a kid I hated rebinding my keys via the default.cfg file. I'd look at the original cfg, and then count the key numbers backwards and fuck around until I had the setup I wanted.

Grazza said:

Regarding the cacodemon death, the sounds-only pwad beavis.wad has a great replacement for that noise: it's Butt-Head saying "Whoa, his brains fell out".

And that would not be annoying if there was only one Cacodemon in the entire game of DOOM.

Despite the controversy it received at release, I still love FD. Evilution and Plutionia are both worthy and original level sets, from Evilution's engaging music to Plutionia's evil atmosphere.....and both had great grahic upgrades, too.

It's explained here. The people who were outraged probably formed quite a small proportion of the community though. I don't remember it being a big deal, and I was a regular at the CompuServe Action Games Forum at the time (most of the TeamTNT guys were active there).

pfft.... "sellouts".... thats just retarded. I think its awesome that these people got their wad official, I thought it was awesome.... it's definately a high-caliber wad, and well worth the money. back then I didn't have the internet so I would have never been able to download it anyway.

You might have been able to get a copy on the cover disk of a magazine (a lot of wads were distributed that way back then) if hadn't been released as part of Final Doom, but anyway I agree with you. Any Doom enthusiast would have leapt at the chance to be part of an id project. But this is an old old old discussion.

Incidentally, Ty gave some very interesting information about the project in this thread.

/me orders you to download Alien Vendedetta, Memento Mori 1, and Memento Mori 2 posthaste.

Well, we are glad that you like Final Doom...I still have fun playing it.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Cadman said:

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

ooh ooh ooh.... what levels did you make?

Cadman said:

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Ah cool! A TNT Team member!

Yes, what levels DID you make? ? ?

I'm just speaking on behalf of TeamTNT...I was not involved with Final Doom, that was before my time. I'm not going to lie and attempt to take credit for something I didn't do. I'm just saying that on behalf of TeamTNT, we thank you for playing those levels in Final Doom...sorry to disappoint.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

The only thing about TNT I didn't like was seeing the word "TNT" on every god damned crate, wall, door, monster, floor...

You get the point... but hey, other than that, great stuff. Mmmm.

EarthQuake said:

The only thing about TNT I didn't like was seeing the word "TNT" on every god damned crate, wall, door, monster, floor...

TNT on monsters? I can see putting some in monsters but...

Anyway, we just replaced "UAC" for the most part. Talk about something that you see a lot in DOOM :P