Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WhilelM

Doom III Won't be on DVD

Not that much of a surprise. And not a problem for me, personally.

There'll certainly be a DVD (or some new format) reissue out after a few years.

Fredrik said:

Doom on several floppies.
Doom 3 on several CDs.

Not that much of a difference.

Except there are at least 451 floppies per one CD. And, like most games, if it is on 2 CD's, it makes over 900 floppies..

More than 900 floppies or 2 CDs, makes a hell of a difference to me :p

The_Tonx said:

Except there are at least 451 floppies per one CD. And, like most games, if it is on 2 CD's, it makes over 900 floppies..

More than 900 floppies or 2 CDs, makes a hell of a difference to me :p

Note that I was comparing the way Doom used the capacity of various formats, not how arbitrary data might use them. Doom required about as many floppies as Doom 3 (probably) will require CDs. And I never compared floppies with multiple CDs either.

No sobbing here... I haven't got enough money to fork out for a DVD reader, and this way I won't miss out on any extra content.

Oh wow, that'd be just awesome, if Doom 3 came out on floppies. Good ol' nostalgia... Okay, sure, 450 floppies per CD would be a little ridiculous, but what if they could make really cool floppy disks which could hold at least as much as CDs and still work in a regular floppy drive? Once again, impossible, I know, but I would totally buy the floppy version if it existed.

A decent DVD reader would set you back all of $40-50. Sheesh. Considering the amount of money people are already no doubt spending on new graphics hardware, memory, etc. for Doom 3, this is insignificant.

And this was an interview from "last year" ... WHEN "last year"?

Hopefully their decision has changed at this point.

ari the adoption issue is probably moot by now but the other reasons cited involving actual manufacturing are probably still bad.

i'm pretty sure all dvd technology is encumbered by patents which is probably holding the price up there for manufacturers when it's really just a denser form of a CD..

bleh.

mewse said:

ari the adoption issue is probably moot by now but the other reasons cited involving actual manufacturing are probably still bad.

i'm pretty sure all dvd technology is encumbered by patents which is probably holding the price up there for manufacturers when it's really just a denser form of a CD..

bleh.

Seconded.

If Far Cry sells well on DVD, the people at Id Software will probably change their minds.

0h gn0, Doom 3 won't come on DVDs. Whatever will I do!?

Hm.

I'll probably sit back and enjoy the fact that I won't need to go out and purchase a DVD drive. Don't care about the money - but I hate going shopping for fitting hardware and I hate the thought of throwing perfectly workable hardware away, so less is best imo.

So attach it on the same ide ribbon.

Having 2 optical media drives is actually something of a convenience for me. I have a War3 CD in my CDRW whenever I'm not burning something, and whatever game I happen to also be playing in the DVD drive.

Right now, that would be Morrowind.

Well, I don't plan on forking out any more money on my PC for some time. And a DVD drive is evidently more expensive over here than in America.

Yeah I wouldn't buy a DVD-ROM. I'd buy a DVD+/-RW. (In fact I have a DVD-RW drive)

[edit] and WTF am I doing in this here forum?

And speaking of the full game release, we checked with Cord Smith, Brand Manager for Ubisoft, and confirmed that the North American retail version of Far Cry will ship on five CD-ROM discs. European markets will receive the game on exclusively DVD-ROM, as DVD drives are much more far more prevalent in that region.

Fuckers.

Teh Article said:

Two of the most anticipated titles of early 2004, Far Cry and Unreal Tournament, are going to be available in some regions on DVD-ROM discs. This joins nicely with the brief mention by Valve Software a few months ago that Half-Life 2 will ship on DVD-ROM as well as CD-ROM and its online Steam distribution network.

People still care about Unreal Tournament?

Fredrik said:

Note that I was comparing the way Doom used the capacity of various formats, not how arbitrary data might use them. Doom required about as many floppies as Doom 3 (probably) will require CDs. And I never compared floppies with multiple CDs either.

Sorry, my mistake..

But wouldn't it be cool if DOOM III would come in 900-floppy edition? :p

The_Tonx said:

But wouldn't it be cool if DOOM III would come in 900-floppy edition? :p

I'd buy it. By the time I'm done installing I'll have enough money to upgrade my pc.

Scabbed Angel said:

People still care about Unreal Tournament?

People still care about Half-Life 2?

supposedly you didnt have a dvd drive (which i do) at would speed would you have to have to play doom3? like 48x?