Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fwank

dehacked

Which version of the dehacked editor do you propose?I already use the whacked2 editor,but i think that it has limited abilities...I think..

I use Whacked2 and I can't find any limited abilities.

And notepad actually has a size limit, then you have to use wordpad.

Yes, but it's a rather large size limit. In other words, you're going to make a Dehacked patch that big?

Fine, then EDIT.COM, VI/VIM, CAT > patch.deh...

At one point I was looking at making a frame-sequence editor that would then let you associate the frame-sequences you define with certain actors and assign that frame-sequence as the one to use for certain states, then it would parse all that by completely reconstructing the frametable in BEX format. It's not so much that I scrapped th project as I just never really worked on it aside from fucking around in VB and doing some concept text.

Seems to me that in ZDoom at least, it would be a lot easier now to do that with the new custom actors you can do in DECORATE, because you don't have to reconstruct the entire patch in order to be fully sure you aren't stepping on another actor's toes using up its frames. Instead, you just write blocks of text and store them in what the hell ever order you feel like.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I bet you could make a dehacked patch that would redefine the data for every frame and still not exceed notepad's limit. Not that I'm gonna check on that, really, because I can't remember what notepad's limit is at the time. I could easily calculate how big such a patch would be, given each line is the longest it could be and, but if I don't know the notepad size limit then it doesn't do me much good.

Ichor said:

Yes, but it's a rather large size limit. In other words, you're going to make a Dehacked patch that big?

What's odd about that? I've made patches larger than notepad can handle.

Notepad's limit is just a meager 64Kb of plain text. WordPad can go as far as your memory permits it.

exl said:

Notepad's limit is just a meager 64Kb of plain text. WordPad can go as far as your memory permits it.

Notepad in XP is also "unlimited":) Plus a few other improvements.

Exl: Have you got Whacked to edit everything now?

fwank: If Exl's answer to the above question is yes, and you don't wanna do Zdoom specific stuff then there's not really any immediate reason to change. But if you want to try out of curiosity, go for Dehacked 3.1.

AFAIK all original dehacked functionality is present in the latest release of WhackEd2. Sadly there's a stupid bug in the state editor concerning sprite frames (they get fucked up when changing a state sometime).

Edit: Actually, I found a backup of the 0.50.166 source code so I'll release a patch with a fix for that.

ooh there's gonna be an update to Whacked2. *Waits for downlaod*

I currently use Whacked for all my dehacked work. Its pretty easy to use. I hope EXL continues work on it.

Depends. I've been a bit bored with the program for a while now. But I have already added lots of BEX-related crapola. Maybe one of these days I'll finish that and release something. Just don't get any hopes up.

*raises hopes*

Yea I get into a dry spell with mapping every once in a while. Eventually it ends and I'm interested again. MAybe its the same thing for programming.