Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dron

Supremer port

I know this is stupid but... Which source port is the most modernized/complex one? IMO its between ZDOOM (Slopes, deep water, scripting, cameras, etc.) DOOM Legacy (3D Floors, 32 player multiplayer) and Edge (3D Floors, and other random shit i've just started using it so i've no idea). I also think Eternity but I haven't really seen the features yet. So what do you think?

Oohh no. Here we go again.

There's a number of threads on these forums that go over the pros and cons of various ports, and they invariably turn into "LOL SI TEH BEST YA OTHERS SUX".

Just a heads up.

... and fp

Well if you're going for most modernized / complex I'm not sure that any port offers more than Vavoom. Been a while since I heard anything about vavoom though.

Thanks guys. I also have another question (sorry) are there any ports except for Legacy, Edge, and Vavoom (I think) that have 3D Floors?

Rellik said:

Well if you're going for most modernized / complex I'm not sure that any port offers more than Vavoom. Been a while since I heard anything about vavoom though.

Does it still have the skybox issue? That totally killed it for me when I tested it... :-( Anyway, its features may be good but since there are absolutely no maps that use them (except a handful of 'test' and 'demo' WADs) I'd rather prefer ports I can actually use. In visual terms my current favorite is Risen3D (based on Doomsday but fully Boom-compatible) and in terms of editing features nothing beats ZDoom - even if it doesn't have 3D-floors.

Graf Zahl said:

Does it still have the skybox issue? That totally killed it for me when I tested it... :-( Anyway, its features may be good but since there are absolutely no maps that use them (except a handful of 'test' and 'demo' WADs) I'd rather prefer ports I can actually use. In visual terms my current favorite is Risen3D (based on Doomsday but fully Boom-compatible) and in terms of editing features nothing beats ZDoom - even if it doesn't have 3D-floors.

I thought Vavoom's lightmap feature was one of the most impressive visual effects I've ever seen in a port - it made some Doom2 levels look realy quite amazing (the start of map22 for instance). That you even get all these lighting effects in software (at a playable framerate) impressed me too. To my mind it has the most (initially) attractive cache of main editing features (slopes, 3d floors, 3d slopes, lightmapping, DDF style thing editing), but it lacks polish to complement these. All these impressive features, yet things get clipped off by the floor and the skybox looks absolutely terrible. I also get a lot of sparkles in GL, unfortunately.