Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StRiKeR

Pics of a level I am making

Pictures 2 and 3 really appeal to me. But all of them indicate a need for detail.

Hurrah for a newbie who doesn't use Geocities for image hosting. :)

Very solid style. Be sure to use a lot of roaming cacodemons to take advantage of the wide spaces.

..and do you have some kind of SPACEW4-fetish?

Little Faith said:

Hurrah for a newbie who doesn't use Geocities for image hosting. :)

Very solid style. Be sure to use a lot of roaming cacodemons to take advantage of the wide spaces.

..and do you have some kind of SPACEW4-fetish?

Yeah, there will be plenty of cacodemons on UV. I dunno about SPACEW4, I just like how it looks.

If near-perfection isn't your style, don't read this. :P

Texture misalignments... Could use some more scenery. Maybe a couple of beacon lamps, trees, or something else suitable. Other than that it looks good.

1. Try lowering the sky height by 16 points or raising it by 48 points. (Depends on the ceiling height inside the main area) That'll make the upper METAL2 texture aligned making it look better.

2. The SPACEW4 textures where the left window is and above the door needs a little alignment work, but the right window looks good.

The SPACEW3 walls could use a couple of small alcoves for enemies.

Nice work with this one, especially the metal frame around the ceiling area. One issue remains though... SCENERY. Again, add windows, alcoves, or whatever.

Uh oh... Is that shadowing error caused by an unclosed sector or a misassigned linedef? Better check the linedefs of that star sector.

YARGH! Fix the upper and lower textures above/below the red skull textures. Looks good otherwise.

Ooh... I like the mood of this room. Fix the texture alignment of that one linedef with the blue light texture if you want. Maybe move the vertex to the left a little (looking at it from the angle of the screenshot) until that small blue portion is gone? If you want to leave it alone, leave it alone. It looks like you want it to be aligned with the floor.

Heh, interesting area, but...

Windows, lower textures, align.

Heh, nice. Nothing to report with this one.

Uh oh... Is that shadowing error caused by an unclosed sector or a misassigned linedef? Better check the linedefs of that star sector.

Keep using your brain please.
It only looks as if the star is has a higher light level than the surrounding area. What you see is the natural shadowing in Doom. The light difference isn't that great, so the outline of the sector is cut off. With everything I've seen from him so far, I think he is smart enough to know if he has a broken sector, let alone post a screenshot of it. :P

Oh yea by the way, I know you're addicted to that texture and everything, but you are sort of overusing it...

Obviously the level isn't finished or I would have released it already Lutarez, but thanks for your comments.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. ShadowRunner, was that a joke? You sure are funny. Yeah, THAT's detailing.

I figure since you were so kind as to tell us that great joke, I should at least repay you with one. OK, so two guys walk into a bar... the third one ducked. I know, it's not great, and you've probably heard it before, I owed you one and that was all I had.

0064 is awkward. The light strip having no lip texture or embedding but just meeting the wall straight on like that, Having that console mounted into a strip of lights, the way the metal texture meets CRATOP(something) like that in such an obvious contrast of dull and shiny trying to look like they are the same thing, DOORTRAK (upper left) as an upper texture where there is no door or anything like that for no good reason just sitting there on a wall, that (SLADPOIS? Can't remember the name and I can't check because I'm at work) texture meeting the green texture without any transitory texture, the sludge on the wall under that poison sign creeping up above the nearest sector's floor and appearing like that without any horizontal transition between it and the wall it is beside... just seems extremely clumsy. And why is that light strip on the right (the one with the console) set up to keep going down into the floor? Why would that happen? I could understand a little step down there, although a step up would look better, but it looks like it keeps on going down and down and down and...

All I was trying to get at is that ShadowRunner is giving detailing advice to somebody who obviously has good geometric sense when SR should instead be trying to apply a more moderate approach to detailing in his maps, yet still finds it appropriate to tell people that good detailing looks like what he shows off in his maps.

Yes, I'm an asshole.

Ultraviolet said:

All I was trying to get at is that ShadowRunner is giving detailing advice to somebody who obviously has good geometric sense when SR should instead be trying to apply a more moderate approach to detailing in his maps, yet still finds it appropriate to tell people that good detailing looks like what he shows off in his maps.

Yes, I'm an asshole.

No... I think you went about tht quite well :)

Ultraviolet said:

(...)two guys walk into a bar... the third one ducked. I know, it's not great, and you've probably heard it before(...)

Hahaha... it is funny :D, I've never heard it...

And aslo I think that 0063 looks interesting, altough something strange happened with that poor man in green armour lying on the nukage crossroads :P

Haha,those are old old screenshots.Im still working on my map.
And the man well the monsters crushed his bones and put him their so they could laugh at him.Bit odd........

ShadowRunner said:

Haha,those are old old screenshots.Im still working on my map.
And the man well the monsters crushed his bones and put him their so they could laugh at him.Bit odd........

Uhhh?
We don't care about YOUR map. This thread isn't yours, so stop trying to steal the spotlight.