Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
READ THE FAQ

The Citadel (Heretic)

Oooh, The Citadel. One of my very favorite Heretic maps, fantastic level. Here's a walkthrough to The Citadel. Once you figure your way out through the level it's not to hard to do when you play it again.

I can just barely remember that this was the level that stumped me when I first played it all those years ago... and looking back on the main reason today is somewhat embarrassing... I couldn't find the yellow key because it was across that little gap and it never occurred to me to try and run across it (hell I had probably never done that before then).

I can imagine getting lost on the following level if that's the case, considering some of the hidden passages.

I always really loved The Citadel, it seems so big when you first play it, but it's not. It's quite fun to play and you almost get the sense that you're really there (at least, that's what happens to me when I'm just wondering around).

I I used to alwayshave trouble with the second half and all those wizards. It was hard to dodge them back then, and the best weapon you had was the Dragon Claw, making that whole area a bit tough at times.

Heh, type IDDQD (in-game, not at the console) and see what happens.

Also, the all weapons codes from Doom works in Heretic. Just type IDKFA.

Heh. The Citadel used to freak me out, with all the wizards that I couldn't see, chanting at me from afar.

I find whispering disturbing, for some reason.

Hyena said:

Heh. The Citadel used to freak me out, with all the wizards that I couldn't see, chanting at me from afar.

Those chanting Disciples are probably my favorite enemy in Heretic.

Grazza said:

Moved to "Classic Doom: General", since it's a Doom-engine game.

BTW, there are Heretic demos you could watch too, at Heretic-N and DSDA.

No offence, but I think you have a weird idea of when something belongs in the General forum.

Anyways, I can't say I'm surprised someone has problems figuring this map out - it's freakin' confusing. Still, it's one of the better Heretic maps (though I hate the music in that map).

The map following it (can't remember its name - wtf was it now?) is far worse - I remember spending hours to try and figure it out. Stupid well-hidden switches!

Grazza said:

Heretic and Hexen threads have tended to go in the Classic Doom forums rather than EE, and I think this makes sense.

They didn't earlier, but what the Hell, DW seems to have changed anyways - guess I'll have to continue my struggle to adapt.

Seems to me that the only place for Heretic/Hexen games is this forum. They are close enough to DOOM to not be put in EE (heck, they are the same game, even DOOM ports support them), and yet they don't gather enough talk to warrant own forum. Perhaps a general forum for "All computer games except DOOM" would do the trick, but I'm not sure there's enough talk on other games to justify that too.

Spray said:

Hexen's Dark Bishop chants are cooler.

Hexen's Dark Bishops are badass, everything about them is cool, from their chants to their spirally magic attacks. Only problem with the Bishop is that he's just not strong enough.

Crono said:

I like the Suburbs from Doom2...TNT..I think..

Heh, Suburbs is Doom2 map16.

Hmmm I wonder which Citadel, Doom's or Heretic's is harder.

I spent 8 hours trying to beat Citadel for doom 2, I don't remember Heretic's though.