Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Good lord, we have at least finished doom 2 right?

I've played Doom2 all the way through on UV before...but it's been a loooong time, at least two or so years.

Just had a full play through Doom 2 on UV to legitimately get over with it.

It was way easy. Meh. The difference between UV and Nightmare is huge.

Ralphis said:

hopefully you will die

He's 'dead' now. Rejoice.

Anyways, I beat Doom 2 on UV back in '95 with everything alive killed in every single level except map30 (dammit Id, it's not fair that you don't let me wipe out the remaining monsters after the Icon goes down in flames!).
It's been so long since I last played Doom 2, so I don't even know if I got all the secrets - perhaps I did.

Sadly, I never managed to beat it and avoid taking a single hit, but that's probably for the best - I hate picking up a mehasphere when I'm full in health and armour (but I have to if I'm to get 100% in items).

I always get bored around level 9-14 and never bother to load the save. By the time I get around to it I figure "Eh, it's been too long to load this" and start a new game.

Danarchy said:

I always get bored around level 9-14 and never bother to load the save. By the time I get around to it I figure "Eh, it's been too long to load this" and start a new game.

Me too. If it weren't for IDCLEV I wouldn't have seen most of Doom2.

...and IDDQD+IDFA.

Danarchy said:

Heh, that's why I barely ever play the official Doom 2 maps anymore, though I generally 'last' longer before I get bored.
I think The Courtyard and Tenements are two maps I absolutely dread to go through (music is boring, maps are either boring or frustrating and by the time I get to these maps, I've grown tired of Doom 2's level design).

In terms of fun, the levels are something like this:

MAP07
MAP02
MAP08
MAP16
MAP09
MAP18
MAP01
MAP32
MAP10
MAP03
MAP11
MAP14
MAP04
MAP30
MAP05
MAP26
MAP23
MAP17
MAP12
MAP21
MAP15
MAP24
MAP25
MAP29
MAP27
MAP06
MAP13
MAP22
MAP20
MAP19
MAP31

Note: this is semi-random. The order would probably change after more thorough evaluation.

dsm said:

I think The Courtyard

Eh? Grab the yellow key, grab the blue key, exit. A sub-minute operation.

Fredrik said:

Eh? Grab the yellow key, grab the blue key, exit. A sub-minute operation.

Does that give you 100% kills, 100% secrets and 100% items?

I think not. I never beat a Doom map without exploring the map as much as I can (if it's a new map I haven't played before) or getting 100% in everything.

I hate completing a game without having killed as much as possible.

And to get 100% everything in the Courtyard, I'll have to go through the whole thing, and THAT imo is a drag.

I see your point. And from that point of view, you're probably right in that the Doom levels are more fun to play.

I haven't played the whole thing through by myself (only individual maps every now and then), but I've done it a couple of times in 2-player co-operative.

Edit: In Ultra-Violence, of course.

dsm said:

I think The Courtyard and Tenements are two maps I absolutely dread to go through (music is boring, maps are either boring or frustrating and by the time I get to these maps, I've grown tired of Doom 2's level design).

WTF. Courtyard has the best music in the game (Waiting for Romero to Play). It's also a fairly quick map, but oh well. Tenaments though, that one is a drag, especialy the second half. I remember it took longer than any other maps for that one speedrun.

I'm going to see if I can play a 0% secrets game. Many useful items are found in secret areas, but what if you're an idiot and you can't find any of them? Would the game cease to be possible?

I always thought Map9 & 10 had the best music in the game.. I can play the main riff to 1, 9, 10, 31, 32 on bass.

To ween myself back on topic, the first time I bothered to beat Doom 2 was on GBA on UV.

Before I beat it, I just IDCLEVed through in no particular order at all. I finally decided to try it on Hurt Me Plenty, and did it in a few weeks.

CtrlAltDestroy said:

I'm going to see if I can play a 0% secrets game. Many useful items are found in secret areas, but what if you're an idiot and you can't find any of them? Would the game cease to be possible?

you will probably have to step on the stairs that lead to the exit swicth of map07... this is the secret sector... :)

unless you use jumping ? ;)

And yes, many items like spheres, armors and megaspheres are in secrets :)

Good luck, and I'd love to see your demo...

I stumbled through ā€˜Iā€™m to young to dieā€™

almost a year ago, I attempted quick times in Doom 2... and that was the first time I played through every level...

and of course, it was on ā€˜Iā€™m to young to dieā€™ (I THINK)

I beat Doom I on all skill levels, cheated my way through ITYTD, HNTR, HMP and UV (same with both ep's on Final doom). I am currently working my way through Doom II with no cheats, but I have beat it.

Once you've played beauties like Caverns of Darkness or Deadalus, its hard to enjoy Doom2....it becomes pretty easy, tho. I can fight cybies without even breaking a sweat!!!!

I've hammered through it on UV at least once (Perhaps two or three times? Not sure how many times I actually went through to the end as opposed to just getting to the late levels) without cheats (unless your one of those tightasses that considered saved games a cheat). I've attempted Nightmare but that's just manic... never did get far with that...

Now okay, you idiots who claim to have finished Doom2, and then say you did it on any skill level below Ultra Violence, or used cheats, or used cheats in the last map.

You suckers didnĀ“t finish anything.

YOu hacks!

I think I've played through the whole thing without cheats maybe once. No idea what skill it was on. By the time the city maps roll around I just don't really feel like playing anymore.

dsm said:

I hate completing a game without having killed as much as possible.

Best line ever.

I'm a Hurt Me Plenty guy myself, but I have beaten both Doom and Doom2 on UV. Even if it took me forever. o_o