Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

largest/most complex map ever?

The Ultimate DooMer said:

(damnit, new page! Why does it always do that?)

You can change the number of replies to view per page.

ravage said:

And just for the record I still have not gotten cc29 to work under any port.

Heh it worked for me under ZDoom just fine, it a bit slow, due to the large large large size of the map. :P

Converted DOOMer said:

Heh.

still rising...

I demand that you release the next version now.

That thing is awesome man, now it is definate that there is no level bigger than Deus Vult.

Yep.
Map02 was split into 3 maps; map02, map06 and map07.
"Final" stats on RTC-3057 map02:

Vertices: 19572
Linedefs: 22147
Siedefs: 41157
Sectors: 3599

Fresh from Doombuilder's stats :)

0-Mephisto-0 said:

That thing is awesome man, now it is definate that there is no level bigger than Deus Vult.

I just made a 32768x32768 square with 65536 linedefs and 65536 sectors I WIN THE PRIZE YOU ARE THE LIEAR.

I think internally ZDoom uses unsigned ints for the number of sides, etc, but the 65536 limit is strictly because of the wadfile format. So you could theoretically have more than 65536 segs if the internal nodebuilder generates more (ie: GL node info).

yeah zdoom's seg limit is, for all intents and purposes, unlimited if you don't build nodes and use the internal builder (since it's stored in memory). The WAD file format can have up to 65536 of every data structure because the numbers that reference them are stored in 2 bytes, however doom2.exe (and most ports) chose to read that in as a signed number, limiting it to half that... editors like DeepSea and Doom Builder (and perhaps XWE?) have increased the limit to 65k.

BTW, I noticed Lut said a Milennium map has 50k sidedefs, does that mean Eternity supports 65536 sidedefs as well?

Ãœberbig maps usually suck anyways.

Then we have the vrack series, and many of the later AV levels (mainly AV-20), and CC map29, and and and...

Cyb said:

BTW, I noticed Lut said a Milennium map has 50k sidedefs, does that mean Eternity supports 65536 sidedefs as well?

I don't think it does yet. What this probably means is that he's building it in two parts or that he uses a build version that he expects to have to split for the release (unless Eternity gets 65K support).

Converted DOOMer said:

Then we have the vrack series, and many of the later AV levels (mainly AV-20), and CC map29, and and and...

Exactly. Although Vrack3 is pretty big, it's not really confusing, like let's say eternal doom. OH GNO I HAVE BASHED FAMOUS MAPPERS BOOHOO.

I'm not a big fan of big maps where it's easy to get lost, or they require endless amounts of dull backtracking. I get lost very easily in Doom maps, and that's very frustrating goddamnit.

That said I liked vrack2 a lot because even tho it was huge, I never got lost once in it. I wish I could say the same for vrack3 :P but what I saw at least looked nice (though it was very, very gray :P)

I think maps can drag on for too long. If a map is long enough that you usually end up saving during the map and quitting, I think it's gone over the line (my personal measuring stick, since I always play to the start of the next level if playtime is nearing it's end.).

boris said:

OH GNO I HAVE BASHED FAMOUS MAPPERS BOOHOO.

LOL

I prefer maps that take less than 20 minutes to complete, simply because I don't use save games. Big maps can be cool, but i'll admit i've only gone through AV map20 twice

Szymanski said:

LOL

I prefer maps that take less than 20 minutes to complete, simply because I don't use save games. Big maps can be cool, but i'll admit i've only gone through AV map20 twice

My first map, which should be in this weekend's /newstuff takes me about an hour to complete on HNTR...

KoRn said:

My first map, which should be in this weekend's /newstuff takes me about an hour to complete on HNTR...

Perhaps it's not due to it's complexity.
Perhaps you just suck badly as a player :P

Cyb said:

just out of curiosity I compiled some stats:

cchest.wad (map29)
Linedefs: 14950
Sidedefs: 24715
Sectors : 1421

vrack2b.wad
Linedefs: 12575
Sidedefs: 21705
Sectors : 2516

eaeuro03.wad
Linedefs: 15022
Sidedefs: 28142
Sectors : 2884

ultramarine.wad
Linedefs: 15525
Sidedefs: 25963
Sectors : 2861

Damnit, just a few more sectors, and one of my maps would've been up there(2149 sectors, 24165 sidedefs). I sorta went overboard on that map though, and as a result I now hate it with a passion.

Big maps are where it's at... I dont like a single player/co-op map thats small, it end's too quickly. If you get lost in a big map, you should start to use landmarks in the map to figure out where you are. For example, a fountain of blood next to a pillar is a landmark. Remember where it is at and proceed.
If any one would like to co-op in some huge map, sent me an e-mail and let me know! :)

I was going to make a map called "Doom island" once, which was going to have a city (complete with docks, residential areas, shops, ect..), countryside outside the city, two large hills (the players house being near the top of one of them, so i could build the interior without having to use a ton of 3D floors), a castle on the other hill, a small village at the other end of the island (and a beach/rocky cove area), forests, some old disused mines..ect. I think i built the start of the docks of an early version of it and gave up...

Map 10 and 41 in "Mock 2:The Speed Of Stupid".
Map 10 is crazy above, 752 cyberdemons in one square.
Map 41 is the last map, and it's very big... I hate crazy WADs.

Those maps is the largest than I've ever seen.

XP

Damn, If I didn't split DRD to nine level episode, and build all those areas as one location, I would have about 2000 sectors already. and I've only began.