Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
læmænt

Offtopic - help needed - partition lost

Well, i was going to install slackware, and somehow managed to kill one of my win2k partitions. I really don't know how it happened... I only told it to delete the linux one.
Anyways: I deleted the partition, but I never reformatted; so the data should all be there. Can I recover it? I tried creating (from windows) a partition on the same spot; but windows thinks it's a new one.

Since the partition is NTFS, i can't fix it with any linux tools. And it looks like I can't fix it from windows either... well I got a program that's supposed to fix things like this, and Windows won't let it run! ("Program tries to directly access hard drive, which cannot be permitted")

Fuck.

I did this a while back. You can recover it but you need to know the exact size of the partitions and their ordering on the disk. This isnt actually that hard as the partition sizes are done on the number of cylinders (so the size is rounded to the nearest cylinder) and most people choose round numbers for their partition sizes anyway (like 3000 megs). If you have a linux install disk handy you should be able to bring up a console; the debian disk has a utility called "cfdisk" which you can use to modify your partition table, most distros should have that or at least something similar.

Good luck though, it can be tricky getting the partition sizes right :/

Since the partition is NTFS, i can't fix it with any linux tools.

If the data is still on the drive, you only need to know the location of the start of the partition, its length and the partition type (0x07 for NTFS, i checked)

Damn, apparently I can't remember their proper sizes/positions... I tried gpart, which does that, but it crashes... Time to try something else.