Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CodeImp

Hellrun Demo

Yes i've started a small project, but I DO have something to show! I cannot upload this to /idgames because it has (hopefully temporary) copyrighted music, so ill hand it to you in here.

Hellrun will be a small megawad (not 32, but just a few maps). It starts in the underground storage rooms (as you will see in this demo), will be continued in a like-wise tech style and will then slowly mix into a hell theme (as in Inferno). No new graphics, no new mosnters or weapons, just doom style. However, it does make good use of scripting.

You can download the demo HERE. Use ZDoom with doom2.wad. I recommand you to try playing it at Hurt Me Plenty. The easy skill is a bit too easy IMO, but I like it challenging.

Post your comments please. Send me an email if you think you can make soundtracks (same style as in the demo) for this little project. Make sure you have something to show as well (read: something in this style that I can listen at). My email address can be found HERE.

This is great. I really like the mood you've got going and perfect choice on music.

It's a little lacking in the detail department but it's a good path through the level. Perhaps a not enough ammo towards the end (considering it's the first level).

How many levels are you working towards?

How much scripting are you gonna put in?

I dont know how many levels yet. Im just going to work on the next map, and the next, and the next and i'll see how far I can get before my inspiration runs out.

No overkill scripting, I think the same amount as this demo map for other maps, probably some more as the other maps will be somewhat bigger.

That was pretty meh. A level made entirely out of rectangular sectors arranged in rectangular patterns and then some music that didn't invoke any emotion.

Maybe it gets better with more levels and more variation.

Whats wrong with rectangular patterns? Unless you pay a shitload for a very odd house, you own house is rectangular. Do you hate living in a house? Well, live with it, thats our world.

But when you get to hell it changes to more odd shapes?

The goal isn't what resembles the real world but what looks cool. Most real world architecture is vehemently boring (albeit functional in practice, but that's hardly relevant for a Doom level or anything fictional).

Inspire the player.

I got stuck after getting the red key. I went through the door which lead to the start room, and then couldn't seem to go anywhere after that. Also, I could jump over the crates where the first Cacodemon appears, and got stuck there too.

Anyway, not bad so far. My belief still remains that people who use stealth monsters should be shot in the face. But hey, that's just me.

You must shoot the tech panel beside the door to continue after that. The door will then re-open.

But I quit already, failure map.

Very nice gameplay. Dark, but not too dark.

I agree with Fredrik on the squarishness. A few non-ortogonal lines could really spice it up.

Regarding the music you should of course not listen to Fredrik. Perhaps you should ask Ubik (he does some EBM/darkwave stuff).

Little Faith said:

Regarding the music you should of course not listen to Fredrik.

Why.

And FYI, I think Ubik's music is better than this.

Little Faith said:

Regarding the music you should of course not listen to Fredrik. Perhaps you should ask Ubik (he does some EBM/darkwave stuff).

How comes nobody ever tells anyone to ask *me* for music?

...ok, my music sucks. :/

CodeImp said:

Hellrun[/b] will be a small megawad (not 32, but just a few maps).

Heh, wouldn't that be a miniwad? :p

Julian said:

Maybe we would if we knew what your stuff sounded like. Personally I have not heard anything of you but the music in the RTC demo.

Little Faith said:

Maybe we would if we knew what your stuff sounded like. Personally I have not heard anything of you but the music in the RTC demo.

What about zort9?

I didn't say it was crap. "Meh" is, relatively speaking, in the upper quartile as far as user-made levels go.

Just how is it, that everyone's maps are getting more attention that mine?

CodeImp, you should really think about adding more ammo to this map. And also that trap around the super shotgun may be a bit too... exhausting. I fough over 50 times to kill all four capricorns, but when It came to me that there is a squadron of revenants behind those doors I cursed you... I really did.

boris said:

ZDoom crashes for me as soon as I start the map.

I had the same problem. I just reinstalled ZDoom 2.0.61 and it went smooth.

Heh, sorry for double-posting.

Julian said:

I demand you make me some music RIGHT NOW!!!