1. 1. What annoys you about geekdom?

• Case Mods
    • Talking like we know so much and are superior
    • Windows hating
    • Paying hundreds for graphics cards
    • n00b flaming
    • Proudness of it
    • Dress/Expression
    • Eating the heads of chickens, bats, etc.
    • None. I love geeks and everything about them
    • Other

Inflated sense of superiority. It seems to be the most ubiquitous thing, anyway.

eating the heads of chickens and bats?

wth

we don't do that at lan parties where i come from

Heh...calling someone a fag or telling them to piss off is nothing. But call them a n00b and all hell can break loose. It's almost the perfect insult I think. It's just overused way too much...so it gets my vote. So does the "inflated sense of superiority" as Job put it.

Being a geek is great if you're reasonably attractive. People find it an interesting personality trait if you can take the "cool" geek stuff and discard the annoying shit and actually manage to be charming and change your t-shirt every now and then and remember to wear deodorant and eat things aside from cheetos and bugs. So uh, "geek" works out for me.

What's the difference between a "geek" and a "dork" (not the whale dick definition, that one's pretty self-explanitory)? I'm not nerdy enough to be a geek, but I think I'm a dork.

*removes newly installed case window, neon light, blue led fan and hides them under bed*

The trouble with case mods is they aren't original anymore - haven't been for ages.

A "geek" is just knowledgeable about technical stuff and enjoys talking about it. A "dork" is, by definition, socially challenged, whether knowledgeable or not. Neither term implies any of the traits of the other. It just came to be that way when back in high school or whatever all the jocks in the great big in-crowd held a grudge against people who showed any signs of intelligence and it became socially unacceptable to have a GPA above 2.0, get along with teachers, etc.

KoRn said:

I choose them all...

I also hate the geeks who are anit-drug because the believe everything tv tells them.

Heh to me that sounds like a statement that would come from someone who's addicted to drugs and knows it will kill them or harm them over time but don't have the brain power or will to quit them, and are thusly jealous of those who paid attention and knew better than to start that stupid shit in the begin with.

Melfice said:

Heh to me that sounds like a statement that would come from someone who's addicted to drugs and knows it will kill them or harm them over time but don't have the brain power or will to quit them, and are thusly jealous of those who paid attention and knew better than to start that stupid shit.

Maybe he only hates anti-drug geeks that watch tv and believe everthing it says.

Melfice said:

Heh to me that sounds like a statement that would come from someone who's addicted to drugs and knows it will kill them or harm them over time but don't have the brain power or will to quit them, and are thusly jealous of those who paid attention and knew better than to start that stupid shit in the begin with.

Why knock it before you try it? Not all drugs will kill you and some can be fun!

Definitely #3. I sit next to a self-proclaimed uber-geek in class, and the most annoying thing is the smarter-than-thou know-everything attitude. Yet, ironically, he spends about 75% of his time web-surfing. When I teamed up with him for a systems analysis assignment, I got 50 out of 50 for my section, and he got 33 out of 60 for his part.

In fact, just today, I sent him an e-mail telling him that I'm off his team. His attitude is just horrible, and I've got to escape before he brings my mark down 20%.

But yeah, he prides himself on Star Wars, Final Fantasy, never changing his clothes or bathing, writing programs using copy con, and so on. Note: There's nothing wrong with having such interests.

Melfice said:

I do believe you have had little experience of what you are talking about. Part of my deduction comes from the fact that you don't seem to distinguish between drug users and drug addicts and also that you make a rather tenuous link between drug use and intelligence.

As for geeks, I really don't mind them - apart from the rather common sense of superiority. They're often intelligent people, which is a big plus.

Planky said:

The trouble with case mods is they aren't original anymore - haven't been for ages.

The fact that anything more than three days old is seen as "ancient", like we're some stupid eight-year-old with no concept of things existing before us.

At least the 8-year-old has a thing or two to learn. We have no excuse, since we purposely mock those who find things out after we do. Eh, maybe this files under "acting superior".

ToXiCFLUFF said:

As for geeks, I really don't mind them - apart from the rather common sense of superiority. They're often intelligent people, which is a big plus.

To continue using select Metallica quotes as replies today, "Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand". A person can have tons of book smarts and be able to write programs and shit, but if they are so absorbed in their supposed superiority*, the distance they create between themselves and the rest of the species renders them ignorant to anything but facts, numbers and their own bloated opinions. They lose interaction and become just a reference tool rather than a human being. And why? Do they become such a way based off of interst in these subjects or because they are outcasts too weak or willing to fight for something they think they can never belong to, fullfilling the void of their dilapidated social skills with alien knowledge that serves to distance themselves further so they can feel a sense of superiority? Is it for fun or revenge?

*Auto mechanics know a lot about cars, does it make them smarter just because they are proficient in one realm? Does that make them intelligent? Same goes for nerds. No.

Scabbed Angel said:

stuff

I agree with what a lot of what you said, but I was referring specifically to intelligence rather than knowledge. Which is something geeks often possess, in my experience.

AndrewB said:

self-proclaimed uber-geek....the smarter-than-thou know-everything

Heh, Doomworld definitely has more than its fair share of those.

AndrewB said:

Definitely #3. I sit next to a self-proclaimed uber-geek in class, and the most annoying thing is the smarter-than-thou know-everything attitude. Yet, ironically, he spends about 75% of his time web-surfing. When I teamed up with him for a systems analysis assignment, I got 50 out of 50 for my section, and he got 33 out of 60 for his part.

In fact, just today, I sent him an e-mail telling him that I'm off his team. His attitude is just horrible, and I've got to escape before he brings my mark down 20%.

But yeah, he prides himself on Star Wars, Final Fantasy, never changing his clothes or bathing, writing programs using copy con, and so on. Note: There's nothing wrong with having such interests.

Heh. I'm a geek, and I like Star Wars, but I tend not to be like "I'm so cool" except sometimes when I'm kidding around :-)

Edit: Who put the chicken head thing their?