Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hopelessness

ZDoom Scripting Question

I have a ridiculous problem.

I've been trying to get some particle effects to work (sparks) without any luck. I know how to do this ... The problem is, I cannot get WadAuthor to compile the script. Everytime I click on "Compile" I get an error that states "The script cannot be compiled."

I have imported the zcommom.acs, as usual, with no luck. I re-downloaded the ZDoom acs files and loaded them but it would still not work. Finally, I downloaded Randy's demo, the partc.wad to see if I was simply misconstruing the script, but the script was correct. When I tried to compile the script (in the demo wad-file) I still got the same message as I stated above.

I never had problems before, I've created particle effects without a problem and have scripted much more complicated things, yet, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. It's probably something extremely redundant, but since I can't seem to get it to work perhaps someone could help me. Thank you.

do you have acc in the same directory as wadauthor? also I know wadauth won't compile scripts if your working directory has any spaces in it, and finally make sure you download the latest DOS version of acc from zdoom.org

I find Doom Builder is a better map editor anyway. I used to use WadAuthor, but it was so slow. Doom Builder comes with everything ready to go and it should work right away after some mild configuration, but if you don't want to try Doom Builder just go with what Cyb said.

I have it working correctly now. I didn't know about the spaces-directory thing and that was the problem. I recently moved my editors and source ports to a different folder to eliminate clutter on my desktop and it failed me in this circumstance it seems.

I knew it was going to be a ridiculous solution -- Thank you for your help.

You can fix this problem without having to modify your directory stucture by using the MS-DOS short filename trick. You take the folder names first 6 characters (if theres a space in between those, then remove it) and add a '~#' to is. That # should be the first instance of the folder and counting.

c:\doom\doom builder\
would be:
c:\doom\doombu~1\

If there were 2 doom builder folders for example:

c:\doom\doom builder\
and
c:\doom\doom builderBOB\
would be

c:\doombu~1\
and
c:\doombu~2\

Any name below 6 characters it just treated the same way.

c:\bob oh
would be

c:\boboh~1\

Its really easy to do, and helps when working with older programs such as Wintex and Wadauthor.

Then again, youve already fixed the problem, but this is really useful to know about.

heh yeah the wadauthor guy REALLY needs to release an update...or OPEN THE SOURCE :P

I know exactly how you feel. Wadauthor is just too slow, having to create a sector with an approximate amount of verticies and then drag and drop them into shape is WAY too slow of a method to edit. I don't know why he didn't just use draw mode like everyone else...

Actually I find wadauthor to be fast... oddly enough. You can create a square sector in seconds, and with my hand ever-wavering over the Enter key, you can join sectors, shape and insert linedefs as well as any other. I can however see how the transition from Line drawing to Prefab mapmaking can be difficult and seem clumsy, but once you have it down, its fast as hell. And the added fact that you can copy and paste sectors into one another flawlessly (you can as well with later versions of Doom Builder too, but not with the earlier ones it seems) is a plus as well. I cant run dom builder on my old 180, so its wauthor for me.