Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. Zin

Help with loading my massive sprites into a wad

I resized and recolored the demon sprites, and now thier 320 pxls tall. I tried loading them with Wintex but it said that they had a "Error Occured [code w453] Bad Bitmap Size"

Anyways I DLed XWE and tried again. This time it loaded them but the feet of the demon were superimposed on its head! Anyone know how to fix this?

I think the maximum height of sprites is something like 200 pixels tall? Or maybe the ports don't have this limit, I don't know.

WinTex will take a dump on you if you try to load any sprites or patches taller than 240 pixels. I don't remember if the original .exe had a maximum image height limit (I'm sure it does), but I know ports like ZDoom and Eternity have either drastically increased or removed the limit alltogether. Try loading your WAD with either of those ports and see if the error still occurs.

Maximum stock height for DOOM looks like it's limited to 128.

RISEN3D and ZDOOM can go up to 2048 tall. Both of these ports support DeePsea hi-res format graphics. Other ports haven't checked - could still be stock?

For Zdoom, I have a sprite 256x256 and it gives an error about it being malformed, but there is no visible damage to it at all.
Anything larger than that will really fuck the sprite up. (Btw, this was with 61.cab, so it might be fixed by now)

That's not ZDOOM, that's XWE. It doesn't do tall transparent areas correctly - and ZDOOM pumps out the error message. Use DeePsea, F7 - IMPORT and click SPRITE radio button and try it again :)

deep said:

That's not ZDOOM, that's XWE. It doesn't do tall transparent areas correctly - and ZDOOM pumps out the error message. Use DeePsea, F7 - IMPORT and click SPRITE radio button and try it again :)

Whee, the magic F7 key strikes again!

I had this problem recently as well. I wanted to try out big sprites in the new Edge version.

*Wintex gives that error message and just plain won't let you insert the sprite.
*Xwe will let you, but messes up the image.

In the end the max size I could insert was around 250 high by 180 wide, more or less.

Are there any other editors or utilities that allow insertion of large sprites into a wad? (apart from Deeps F7)