Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Classic Levels

Yes, that's right. I'm looking for what you other Doomers would consider to be classic single player levels for Doom or Doom2. No megawads or episodes, just single (classic) levels for Doom or Doom2. Kthx.

The ones that stick in my mind most from the early years are:
wtrfront.wad (good atmosphere, some nice design features, and used the AV bug to interesting effect)
cic.wad (big, difficult and slowed my computer down - I've tried recording on it a few times, but missed jumps or missed monsters have always made it too ugly to release)
mines.wad (the one by Jim Flynn) - big, highly non-linear, lots of little nooks and crannies. That goes for most of Jim Flynn's other maps too.
rigel1.wad - tough and chaotic
trinity.wad (for novelty value, and innovative graphics, and the fact that I know Trinity College pretty well)

Laitos.wad - got it off of Dr. Sleep's site. Very good wad for Doom1. Massive level that prompts exploration, has good texture usage, balanced gameplay and classic E1 atmosphere.

Heroes2.wad

osiris.wad

thepath.wad

egypt.wad (if you can find it, let me know)

crazyed2.wad

ravage said:

Heroes2.wad
osiris.wad

Those are not single-level wads.

egypt.wad (if you can find it, let me know)

I presume you don't mean this.

Grazza said:

I presume you don't mean this.

No, sorry that's not it. The one I remember is e1m1-e1m9 and has a really shitty replacement sky.

boris said:

uac_dead

Dude!!! I just dug this level out of the abyss of old levels that I have. I totally forgot how good it was! :)
Thanks for reminding me of this...

Hey, any good maps (episodes if you wish) kept in "Inferno/Thy Flesh Consumed" theme?

CORTYR_B
TEMPLE11
DAEMON2
REDRUM
MEGAWATT
INFEST (DMIFST.ZIP)
CORE
BARREL2
All classics from early DOOM days.

Stealthy Ivan said:

Dude!!! I just dug this level out of the abyss of old levels that I have. I totally forgot how good it was! :)

Indeed. It's one of my alltime favourites, too. There was a pre release around of it. So make sure you have the final version!
Also it uses a feature of Doom which was not used by the original maps and was unfortunately removed with the Ultimate Doom EXE and also is missed in the source code (unless someone has reimplemented it in his port or some form of scripting). In particular when the last Cyberdemon dies, sectors with tag 666 are lowered. The same thing as with the Barons of Hell, so that those sectors have to be triggered twice in that map.
AfaIk, that map also introduced the invisible stairs.