Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ichor

The Second Hub

One question: Is there any chance to make this work with a decent source port? Unfortunately this old Doomsday version won't start on my computer.

That's the only version it works for right now. I may try to make it compatible with ZDoom or a later version of JHexen one day, but I'm more interested in finishing it all first.

Anyway, what happens when you try to start it?

Whenever I attempt to play it, I can get as far the character select screen, then I select my character, start the game, and then, boom, I'm back at the desktop. What's the deal here?

Did you try playing from the savegames instead of a new game (new games should work too, but the savegames start you on map 7)?

Ichor said:

That's the only version it works for right now. I may try to make it compatible with ZDoom or a later version of JHexen one day, but I'm more interested in finishing it all first.

Anyway, what happens when you try to start it?

All older versions of Doomsday hang when I start them. Only 1.7.x and up work on my computer at home.

Probably the first one I will try to make compatible is for the latest JHexen version. I even tried doing that once, but it was quite a lot of trouble converting the source code to drd files (or whatever they're called). I don't have to work on the code all that much for the next hub, so I could try again if I have enough time. The only thing that was giving me fits was changing info.c to a drd equivalent. With all those entries, it will take a long time.

Ichor said:

With all those entries, it will take a long time.

I can believe that. Maybe you can release the source so somebody could help you?

It won't take that long. If I work nonstop, it should take a few hours. Besides, the source code it a bit of a mess in a couple of places and needs to be cleaned up some before I release it. Before I was altering the source code, I was using an old Dehacked type program called Hex. Once I bought Visual Basic, I knew nothing of programming in C++, so I made a few minor changes first (health increase here, frame change there, etc.), but nothing serious. Once I discovered how to actually add new monsters and items instead of simply making use of unused frames and things, that's when I started adding all sorts of fun things. Yet I kept the old frames and things the way the were (call it a case of laziness, heheh). I'll have to clean that up, but it's not very high on my priority list right now.

All the maps from the first hub are in this zip file as well. As for the sprites, textures, etc., most of those were put in ahead of time to be used in later hubs, like the Devil or Frost Lich. That's mainly why the fury_ch1 was a bit larger than usual.

I checked it, and it's nothing serious. It just means that the area was too big for the DirectX to render all of it. As I said in the message, just ignore it. I seriously doubt it will show up elsewhere. Still, I'll likely fix the problem in a bit, anyway.

Ichor said:

I checked it, and it's nothing serious. It just means that the area was too big for the DirectX to render all of it. As I said in the message, just ignore it. I seriously doubt it will show up elsewhere. Still, I'll likely fix the problem in a bit, anyway.

Okay, I thought you made one of those weird sector errors.

I've tested it far too long to let something like that sneak through, especially one that big, heheh.

Ok, I fixed the problem. You can get the new version here if you want. I also had to make new savegames because I had to rebuild the nodes in map 7. If you made it to at least map 8, your saved games will still work because I only changed map 7, and once you get through it, you won't need to go back there again.

The only file you really need to overwrite is fury.wad, although I did clean up about 200 KB of wasted space in furydata.wad. You shouldn't even have to run either the merge or restore .bat files.

The savegames don't work - doomsday.out gives me a corrupt savegame bug, whereas it didn't do that with the older version. Have you still got the old version of the hub, as I overwrote it when I downloaded the fixed one.

edit: nevermind, I re-downloaded and re-installed the whole thing and it seems to be ok now.

edit: what the hell's up with the config??? It seems that half the keys are hard-coded so they actually stay in their original positions even if I assign them to another slot (particularly the numbers and f keys) - wtf?

I know. I found that trying to select certain artifacts takes too long, especially during heated battles, so I gave the artifacts certain keys (the original Hexen did this, but it only covered very few of them: Quartz Flask = \, Banishment Device = 7, etc.). This is how I had it set up (the ones in bold are new):

1: Weapon 1
2: Weapon 2
3: Weapon 3
4: Weapon 4
5: Weapon 5
6: Porkelator
7: Banishment Device
8: Chaos Device
9: Disc of Repulsion
0: Flechette
B: Boots of Speed
C: Charm Spell
D: Dragonskin Bracers
F: Fire Wave
H: Potion of Fire Resistance
I: Icon of the Defender
K: Krater of Might
R: Potion of Regeneration
T: Torch
U: Mystic Urn
X: Time Stop

\: Quartz Flask
BKSPC: Tome of Power
PGUP: Wings of Wrath

I managed to override the hard-coded keys by use of an autoexec.cfg, and that hub rules (very tough though, whatever the character). Am I right in thinking that most if not all of the textures are from Hexen II, as they certainly look like that.

Many of the new ones are from Hexen 2. There may be a couple of Heretic 2 textures thrown in, but I forgot where.

Where are you in the hub now?

I finished it off this afternoon - those last two big fights are probably tougher than anything else in any Hexen hub I've played.

Ichor said:

Many of the new ones are from Hexen 2. There may be a couple of Heretic 2 textures thrown in, but I forgot where.

So does that mean I could use them in SSD? (as I might need some of them once I get to building the palace zone)

Sure, but then again, I think there are some Hexen 2 texture wads floating around somewhere.

And how did you like the new weapon?

How do you get the 5th weapon?

edit: the "5th" weapon seems to be some gold thingy (found this out with wintex).

Hopefully the fighter will get something cooler (like a supersized sword).

You'll find it on map 12 (if you start from a save game, that is). And no, it will still be the Quietus, but it can be affected by the Tome of Power as well (still fine tuning the effects though).