Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Thief Doom ? (just a thought)

Yes I know that I'm currently doing a project. But since DRD is going rather well I thought of another project (just in case DRD was finished in some weeks).

Whis would be something like Thief: The Dark Project (Which is one of the best FPP games ever IMO). The gameplay would be story driven with a briefing for each mission.

Our hero will not be forced to fight hundreds of demons. In fact he'll be encouraged to avoid them, and circle around undetected. Each map will have it's own objectives regarding thievery and stelth. Like "Enter the mansion undetected" or "locate and steal the Baron's Staff"...

Maps kept in medieval theme with superb detailing and architecture. Maybe the monsters will be changed to something more human, maybe not.

I'm just asking your oppinion. Is something like that worth making?

[now awaiting newproject tag]

[newproject]ellmo[/newp...

Ah, screw it. Anyway, that's an interesting idea, but it'd be tremendously difficult, blah, blah, blah. I always liked the game so godspeed to you. I'll help in something if you get the project going. Of course I still stand by the Castlevania Doom idea, as well as the Metal Gear Solid one too.

Sounds interesting but as Job said this is significantly more difficult to achieve than a simple action oriented level. The scripting for something like that can become rather involved. On the other hand there are lots of people here (even more on zdoom.org. ) who might help you with it.

ellmo said:

Whis would be something like Thief: The Dark Project (Which is one of the best FPP games ever IMO). The gameplay would be story driven with a briefing for each mission.

Yay, T:TDP was one of the coolest games I ever played. However I believe Enjay has already did something like this, but if you think you can do a better Thief Doom, go for it.

with radius triggers you could make sounds affect guards(in effect, they hear the sound) withing the radius to come and search for you. You could do it with a lot of cool features, and thief and thief 2 were kickass games. I hope thief 3 is really good too.

When I originally set out to do my Thief WAD, I was going to try and build in some "trick" sectors that you can hide in where the bad guys can't see you. However, I quickly realised the Doom AI really wasn't up to it. The bad guys would just keep milling around until you came back into sight. There would be no feeling of the enemies eventually giving up or them possibly being able to find you if they came too close.

However, Zdoom scripting has moved on quite a bit since then and I think such things may now be more believable. However, the hiding system would always be more basic than the original Thief.

[edit]EEEK, I've been away for ages, and I've just realised I have probably just resurrected a bunch of long dead topics. My apologies.[/edit]