Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshedder

Eternity Leaps Forward

Quasar has updated the Team Eternity Software site with the announcement of the release of Eternity Engine v3.31 Public Beta 6. This version includes the much-anticipated portal support, as well as EDF enhancements and various bug fixes, along with updated documentation.

Last time I tried, nuts3.wad ran fine, aside from not even getting 1 FPS on my machine.

Grove won't run in Eternity because of texture errors. Next time he should probably test it in a port that doesn't automatically compensate for errors in your level.

the text file says he tested it in legacy and edge as well as zdoom, so he did :P

either way it's near impossible to get a decent framerate on that map with a software port, and eternity isn't as fast as zdoom, so you're better off using glboom (which also runs it fine) or zdoomgl

sargebaldy said:

Grove won't run in Eternity because of texture errors. Next time he should probably test it in a port that doesn't automatically compensate for errors in your level.

Ooh, bitterness.

Cyb said:

the text file says he tested it in legacy and edge as well as zdoom, so he did :P

None of these treats missing textures as fatal. Anyway, is there any reason why some ports still abort when they encounter even the slightest error? A texture error should be reported but the game shouldn't quit.

Graf Zahl said:

Anyway, is there any reason why some ports still abort when they encounter even the slightest error?

The author hasn't gotten around to fixing it, I guess.

A question from demofreak :

Has the wonderful -comphack been added permanently to Eternity ?
(a thingie that allows to play v1.9 demos perfectly)

VinceDSS said:

A question from demofreak :

Has the wonderful -comphack been added permanently to Eternity ?
(a thingie that allows to play v1.9 demos perfectly)

I may be wrong but I think -comphack is used to record 1.9 demos, Eternity plays them back just fine without this thingie :)

No, v1.9 demo recording is not in 3.31b6, but it may be added in the next version.

Also, Graf Zahl, Eternity does not abort on a LOT of errors which DOOM did abort on. The map that SargeBaldy is talking about does not have a missing texture, it has a texture which has no patch in a column. This is malformatted, bad data. Textures are not supposed to be allowed to have any columns without patches. The action needed to fix such an error is not obvious to me, nor do I particularly relish the idea of compensating for every possible data format error, just to allow people to make inappropriate levels which still work.

I still remember a day when you could do everything right, and stuff still wouldn't work sometimes. Now map editors have been spoiled into expecting every port to automatically fix any mistake they make, at the cost of an explosion in error-checking and correction code. Meh.

Sign in to follow this