Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

The Passion of the Christ

Going to The Passion of the Christ?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Going to The Passion of the Christ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

Mel is a real hardcore Christian. The guys house has it's own chapel.

Poor John Travolta. He did it first, yet Mel is getting all the praise.

Hubbard must be spinning in his gra... er, in his astal-projection fighting Xenu in another cosmos.

I'm a muslim (our interpretation somewhat differs from the Gospels & the Movie), but I can say for one thing; this movie moved me like no other. Although we regard Jesus (Isa) as a Prophet, our love for him is perhaps the same as other prophets. That is why seeing his final hours in the world deeply moved me beyond words. I sit here still contemplating the sacrifice and love God and his Prophet had for the world. The ability to forgive those who persecute you and the ability to love those who hate you is beyond comprehension. I simply sat when the titles rolled in in utter amazement and adulation.

Watch it, another recommendation. Its even worth 15 US dollars. As far as the Gore is concerned, its imperative for the director to show the level of pain and suffering Jesus endured before his intended crucification. This is to show the Christian belief that Christ had to cleanse the sins for all of humanity, a savior. Don't know why there was such an emphasis on Anti-Semitism and the gore when the message behind the movie was one of salvation, retribution, love and sacrifice.

Brilliant film.

Heh, just last night my friends and I were joking about this movie at my birthday party. One of my friends mentioned something about none of us being religious in any way and we all kind of nodded and I said "hey, maybe we should all go out and see that Passion of the Christ movie". Then we had a fun time digging into Jesus saying such things as "we should cheer as they beat the shit out of Jesus, then when they hand Judas go 'Judas! Noooo!". That gave us about 15 minutes of laughs. Then a friend of mine gave me her gift to me (a joint), and we alll headed out to the pool hall. Fun times. In the end, having no morals and close friends with a good sense of humor is a lot better than being a religious zealot who has no friends because he is an asshole.

Anyway, this movie looks like a cross between Reservoir Dogs and a Jesus flick. I love how Fark calls it the Jesus Chainsaw Massacre. Seriously, I don't think I want to see this afer reading stuff like this:

"Especially when the "cat of nine tails" gets stuck in his side, and rips a massive chunk of flesh from his body"

I find it especialy ironic that the same people masturbating to this gore flick are the same goody two-shoes Christians that said Fight Club and Pulp Fiction were just violent bloodbaths with no story value. I laugh at the irony, and I laugh at the fact that it finaly shows that these people arent free from the violence-mongering that comes as part of the packaged deal along with human nature. You're no better than the rest of us. This is what it feels like.

I find it oddly amusing that 99% of all the attention is devoted on the controversy and gory content of this film. If that much attention as given to the actual intent of the film and its message, then I guess less cynicism and criticism would be observed. The message was deeply moving and profound. Its sad to see it lost in the constant barrage of : Gore! Anti-"Insert stuff here"! Religious!

Go for the meaning and intent. Seriously.

Thread pruned and reopened...

As for me, I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Danarchy said:

I find it especialy ironic that the same people masturbating to this gore flick are the same goody two-shoes Christians that said Fight Club and Pulp Fiction were just violent bloodbaths with no story value. I laugh at the irony, and I laugh at the fact that it finaly shows that these people arent free from the violence-mongering that comes as part of the packaged deal along with human nature. You're no better than the rest of us. This is what it feels like.

For someone who doesn't believe you spend enough of your time posting about shit like this. You remind me of all those stuck up, bitter at the world psuedo intellectual goths wanting so desperately to be popular in school that they become goth out of spite and completely overkill it. "OMFG I hate cheerleaders, I'm so goth I'm dead" and all that. Lighten and grow up.

In any case, yeah they dislike the use of violence in a glorified manner. I love those movies, but I can see where they're coming from. Those movies glorify the violence for entertainment purposes and thus in many regards perpetuate violence in our culture. In Passion, its used for historic purposes (Yeah, I know what Cyb'd say) to reflect the torture Christ was put through before and during his crucifixion. Its used for emotion to illustrate how brutal his struggles were in the last hours of His life, not to glorify the violence against Him. Although I wouldn't expect a jaded, narrow minded bitter individual like yourself to come to that conclusion without some help.

Ichor said:

As for me, I'll try to watch it this weekend.

Sorry if the thread got a bit messy.

Go check it out Ichor... its a great film about a very difficult topic. Almost everyone I know has walked away from this movie with something gained... Whether they're believers or not. You will walk away speechless...

I had planned on watching it, but I didn't have the time last weekend.

insertwackynamehere said:

IMO, this is absolute blasphemy. I'm not that religious, but I believe in God and making an action flick out of the Bible is petty and wrong.

I think you're missing the point. Its not an action flick? I don't remember fast cars, guns, or explosions: what the hell are you talking about?

Ichor said:

I didn't start a flame war did I? That wasn't my intention...

*Checks post hell

Oh dear. :(

It didn't start out as a flamewar, but it was quickly heading in that direction near the end.

Yeah, a flame war is exactly where that guy was heading... And all because I tried to get someone in the "know"... :)

Oh well, everyone needs a good argument now and then...lol. But hey, at least it ended before any real name calling started. :)

Scabbed Angel said:

I think you're missing the point. Its not an action flick? I don't remember fast cars, guns, or explosions: what the hell are you talking about?

Basically, it's a Bible story, not a movie which you go see on a date eating popcorn.

Scabbed Angel said:
...In any case, yeah they dislike the use of violence in a glorified manner. I love those movies, but I can see where they're coming from. Those movies glorify the violence for entertainment purposes and thus in many regards perpetuate violence in our culture. In Passion, its used for historic purposes (Yeah, I know what Cyb'd say) to reflect the torture Christ was put through before and during his crucifixion. Its used for emotion to illustrate how brutal his struggles were in the last hours of His life, not to glorify the violence against Him.

A better example might be is to point to the people parsing this movie after denouncing Saving Private Ryan (and as an insult to injury, decided to support that wonderful war we had a while back). Still I guess these people sit on the same pile as people who go on shooting sprees in abortions centres. But I'd like to think they might have learned something.

Scabbed Angel said:

For someone who doesn't believe you spend enough of your time posting about shit like this. You remind me of all those stuck up, bitter at the world psuedo intellectual goths wanting so desperately to be popular in school that they become goth out of spite and completely overkill it. "OMFG I hate cheerleaders, I'm so goth I'm dead" and all that. Lighten and grow up.

Heh, so little do you know me. Judge not lest ye be judged yourself. But I won't say what I think about you, because I don't even know you. It's the logical thing to do.

First off, I'd hardly call 5 minutes a waste of my time, especialy when I have absolutely nothing to do. Or, you could argue that my entire life is a waste of time and thus it is quite inconsequential. Of course, whose life isn't? Next, I'm not a fucking goth (anymore). I don't see how laughing at people and being glad of who I am makes me a goth. I'm not spiteful here, I'm just making fun of dumbshits. I'm not even singling anyone out, I was being general. If you think otherwise, well then you're a damn tool. Anyway, you;re all idiots and I don;t think I'll be replying to this godawful thread again.

Love,
Dan

IMO, this is absolute blasphemy. I'm not that religious, but I believe in God and making an action flick out of the Bible is petty and wrong.

How the hell is this movie an "action flick"?

This has to be why I've been hearing a lot of, "oh, don't take your children to this one, it's tough to watch" lately. I'm sure no parent wants their kid to see the slow tourturing death of a man glorified on the big screen, but I think most parents have come to accept that their stoner pre-teen doesn't know what's going on anyway. Have some more popcorn, munchy boy.

Action flick, jeeze.

I dunno if I'm going to see it. I am a faithful guy, but I never go to church. I believe folks should be able to practice in the comfort of their home, and I don't cram religion down anyones throat. I HATE THAT. Anyway I mite go see it just too see what people are fussing over, violence wise - I heard some woman had a heart attack after seeing the stake pounded into his hand.

Y'know what would make a good flick? Jesus, King of the Jews vs Elvis, King of Rock and Roll vs Godzilla, king of the Monsters, vs King Diamond

In the news today.....world war three has just started after a local teen dresses up like satan at the passion of the christ movie. Dozens of hostages were taken by the enemy already, and the US is demanding thier release under threat of bombing them with milk duds.......

IMO, this is absolute blasphemy.

I agree with you completely, and I am surprised that this point has not been brought up more often. I am not religious, and don't know all that much about the Christian faith. But from my understanding you are not meant to profit from the Bible. Christ did not die on the Cross to line Mel Gibson's pockets.

The Flange Peddler said:

But from my understanding you are not meant to profit from the Bible.

The Bible should be banned from bookstores?