Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Echarin

One Step Closer to Hell

I'm back. Back into Doom map editing, that is, after years of absence. Not back here, cause this is my first time here.

This is my first map since I started creating again: One Step Closer to Hell

One single player map
Rather short (but that's just because it's the first in (hopefully) a series of maps
A nasty surprise is waiting
Time taken to create: 3 or 4 days

http://cowblaster.250free.com/oscth.zip

Read the readme before playing. VERY important story information.

Epyo said:

Hmm I can't download it.

I think it´s to do with 250free.com not allowing certain countries to download from their servers. Or that´s what I´ve read. It´s a huge problem with their hosting service, but you don´t find free 250MB hosting that often.

Echarin said:

I think it´s to do with 250free.com not allowing certain countries to download from their servers. Or that´s what I´ve read. It´s a huge problem with their hosting service, but you don´t find free 250MB hosting that often.

What's a 250MB server worth if it can't be accessed. BTW, I'm getting a 'page not found' error, not 'Access denied' or something similar.

Graf Zahl said:

What's a 250MB server worth if it can't be accessed. BTW, I'm getting a 'page not found' error, not 'Access denied' or something similar.

It can be accessed, just not by everyone. That's not good, though. Maybe I can find somewhere else to host.....

Freeservers! I'll have the file up there as soon as I can....

Done:

http://echoblast.freeservers.com/OSCtH.zip

Um, that doesn't seem to help much at all. All I get is some stupid forbidden error. Oh well, guess this is going to be a while.

I've been searching for hosting services, but I've had no luck. My old Tripod account was terminated. No matter how often I try Angelfire won't let me get past the registration.
Anyone know of any good file hosts?

Would anyone want me to e-mail the level to them?

Guys are getting impressed, but I dunno why though. Those screenies are very standard. Using Legacy lens flares does not impress me in any way. MORE DETAIL!

ellmo said:

Guys are getting impressed, but I dunno why though. Those screenies are very standard. Using Legacy lens flares does not impress me in any way. MORE DETAIL!

I wasn't using Legacy for the screenshots just because it looks flashier. I'm using Legacy because otherwise Doom is unplayable. Playing Doom as it was released originally makes it slow as hell on my computer.
People are impressed? Haven't noticed that in this thread. The replies here are mostly "Can't download it", or "Looks okay".

I'm still working on the level.

Edit: I hadn't noticed it before, but the link in my first post wasn't a proper link. I've fixed it now.

[size=7]YOU CANT DOWNLOAD IT BECAUSE MOST (ALL) FREE SERVERS WONT LET YOU DIRECTLY LINK TO IMAGES, ZIP FILES OR OTHER CONTENT![/size]

Edit: I hadn't noticed it before, but the link in my first post wasn't a proper link. I've fixed it now.

Nope. Still broken.

Did you get my email?

Echarin said:

People are impressed? Haven't noticed that in this thread. The replies here are mostly "Can't download it", or "Looks okay".

Nah, I wasn't getting on you in any way. I'm just curious why some (let us not cheat each other) bare maps are welcomed with such interest, and others (like ShadowRunners) are bashed from the beggining to the very end.

I have to admit that none of my maps where bashed. Ever! But that's because I've never shown my first "products" to the community =)

Mad Butcher said:

Nope. Still broken.

Did you get my email?

Yes, but I received it on my other PC, the one that hasn't got the map. And for some reason the file share only works one way between the two PCs and I can't move my map from this PC to the other. Could you e-mail me again, or PM me your e-mail address?

Second level up for public testing (if you can download it, that is :D )

http://www.freewebs.com/wadsofdoom/war2.zip

It's map02, so for your convenience I've added weapons and ammo at the beginning that, when the two are played consecutively, you should have already gotten.

Edit: Does the Freewebs link work?

Freewebs links work when you copy/paste them into the web-adress prompt, but they don't work when you just click them.

ellmo said:

Hey, that small staircase on shot#2 looks interesting.

It's far more interesting than you might think from that shot, but you won't find out how interesting it is unless you play it. So go and download it now, play it and tell me what you thought of it........ please.

I've nearly finished the third map and it's about the same size as the second map, or a little bit bigger. And what's a Doom level without a few nasty, nasty surprises? Was that a Baron of hell that's just teleported in front of me in this small corridor and did the floor just rise up behind me preventing escape?
Enjoy.

Download:
http://www.freewebs.com/wadsofdoom/Nr3.zip
(if what Little Faith said is true you're going to have to copy the address into the address-bar in your browser. You can also right-click on the link and click on Save As...)

Screenshots:

He'll bite if you try to take his gun.

Ok, I've downloaded maps 2 and 3, here's my comments

Map 2 : At the start, the cliff area is (almost) full brightness. This is baaaaad. Never use full brightness, it makes it look like a test map instead of a finished one.

The trap with the revenants wasn't that great. They're deaf, so you can start shooting at one of them and the other will just sit there. Plus they are facing the opposite direction of the player. I just shot them both in the back with the chaingun until dead. Pretty boring.

The final room battle felt a bit boring too .. all I had to do was stand outside of the 64 wide doorway and shoot in until everything was toast. I didn't even have to move. It'd be better if you waited for the player to enter the room, then spring a trap, closing the entrance door. The player is forced to run around! :P

Map 3 : A bit better layout. I didn't like how the platform with the bezerk pack raised up before I got a chance to grab it. Then tons of demons came out. :/ This map could really use some more monsters aside from the demon horde.

General stuff : Add more detail in the form of things. The map detail is good but it looks very barren with no thing decorations. They could use a few more demons to blast on UV skill as well. Also look into getting music replacements. Really helps the atmosphere of the map.

udderdude said:

Ok, I've downloaded maps 2 and 3, here's my comments

Map 2 : At the start, the cliff area is (almost) full brightness. This is baaaaad. Never use full brightness, it makes it look like a test map instead of a finished one.

The trap with the revenants wasn't that great. They're deaf, so you can start shooting at one of them and the other will just sit there. Plus they are facing the opposite direction of the player. I just shot them both in the back with the chaingun until dead. Pretty boring.

The final room battle felt a bit boring too .. all I had to do was stand outside of the 64 wide doorway and shoot in until everything was toast. I didn't even have to move. It'd be better if you waited for the player to enter the room, then spring a trap, closing the entrance door. The player is forced to run around! :P

Map 3 : A bit better layout. I didn't like how the platform with the bezerk pack raised up before I got a chance to grab it. Then tons of demons came out. :/ This map could really use some more monsters aside from the demon horde.

General stuff : Add more detail in the form of things. The map detail is good but it looks very barren with no thing decorations. They could use a few more demons to blast on UV skill as well. Also look into getting music replacements. Really helps the atmosphere of the map.

About the revenant trap I made them deaf because I felt it a bit unfair to lock the player in such a tight space with two revenants. The reason they're facing the opposite directions is so the player, when returning from the key room, sees that the way he came in is closed and the other two are guarded by revenants. I did not want the revenants to attack the player from behind, rather make the player see the trouble he was in and think about it.... or something like that.
What do you suggest I do with this?

Thanks for the suggestion for the final battle. I'll do something about it, though not exactly what you suggested.

About the berserk in the 3rd map it's possible to get it if you run and then jump. Of course if you're playing it in original Doom 2 then you're not going to be able to get it, so maybe I should do something about that.

I'll take a look at the maps and try making them prettier and more fun to play.

What are the three difficulty settings for in Doom Builder? (easy, medium and hard) There are more than three difficulty settings in Doom so I'm not sure which changes which difficulty setting.

Edit: Did you find the secret rocket launcher and rocket launcher ammo in map 3?

About the revenant trap I made them deaf because I felt it a bit unfair to lock the player in such a tight space with two revenants. The reason they're facing the opposite directions is so the player, when returning from the key room, sees that the way he came in is closed and the other two are guarded by revenants. I did not want the revenants to attack the player from behind, rather make the player see the trouble he was in and think about it.... or something like that.
What do you suggest I do with this?

Personally I think I could handle the double revenant attack .. but I think most people would find it unfair. Maybe you should change the revenants to cacodemons or something easier to kill, and have them face the player.

About the berserk in the 3rd map it's possible to get it if you run and then jump. Of course if you're playing it in original Doom 2 then you're not going to be able to get it, so maybe I should do something about that.

Just place the bezerk somewhere else in the map .. put a soul sphere on the platform. DENIED! :O

I'll take a look at the maps and try making them prettier and more fun to play.

Just add some torches/lamps and more dead body decorations .. and of course more baddies to kill.

What are the three difficulty settings for in Doom Builder? (easy, medium and hard) There are more than three difficulty settings in Doom so I'm not sure which changes which difficulty setting.

Easy = I'm Too Young To Die!, Hey Not Too Rough
Medium = Hurt Me Plenty
Hard = Ultra Violence, Nightmare!

Did you find the secret rocket launcher and rocket launcher ammo in map 3?

Nope!

udderdude said:

Personally I think I could handle the double revenant attack .. but I think most people would find it unfair. Maybe you should change the revenants to cacodemons or something easier to kill, and have them face the player.

Just place the bezerk somewhere else in the map .. put a soul sphere on the platform. DENIED! :O

Just add some torches/lamps and more dead body decorations .. and of course more baddies to kill.

Easy = I'm Too Young To Die!, Hey Not Too Rough
Medium = Hurt Me Plenty
Hard = Ultra Violence, Nightmare!

Nope!

I've lowered the platform so that if you run straight for it you'll be able to get to it.
About the revenants... maybe if I put one revenant and one of something easier. I already have it so that on easy that instead of two revenants there's a revenant and an imp. Maybe on medium I could have a revenant and cacodemon, and on hard two revenants.

I'm in the process of changing the empty, monster free ending of level 3.

Rocket launcher.... look to the ledges.