Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

More RIAA garbage

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/39946

Lawsuits and efforts to fill popular p2p networks with garbage files took a bite out of mainstream file trading, and now the RIAA hopes to take the battle one step further. The industry is heavily shopping a "smart" filtering solution around Washington that can audibly recognize copyrighted songs and block them accordingly.

They can't stop this, cause if you ZIP or RAR the file, the filter can't do squat about compressed files.

GG RIAA, why don't you piss off even more people doing this? Face it, you can't win

Aren't they already in trouble with Kazaa? They have a lawsuit pending against them for illegal use of the Sharman Networks. Why would you press your luck doing more of the same? Ten they got hit by it being illegal for ISPs to hand out IP numbers of file sharing users right?

Bullshit. How in the hell could they make it magically figure out if a song's copyrighted? You could save your songs backwards and it wouldn't notice. Besides that it'll probably only filter out boy bands and such, real great way to protect copyrights you morons.

It would have to be a different filetype, but since mp3s are the only files being used, it won't work.

Piezo said:

It would have to be a different filetype

All hail .OGG!

Yes, RIAA is wasting their time, resources and money on this crap.

gatewatcher said:

Shhh, apparently the RIAA doesn't know about .oggs, so don't blow it.

It's more that the RIAA has barely got around to "educating" the government about the evils of sharing music via MP3 and explaining a new file format would be really, really hard to get through the skulls of those old bastards. Also, since most OTHER people (the majority of people being "computer illiterates" that wouldn't understand if you tried to explain a different file format to them, even without technical detail) don't know about .OGG either, still favoring MP3 (I personally prefer MP3 for the sake of availability but once the rest of the Internet comes around so will I), then the RIAA probably considers .OGG both unimportant to pursue restricting (for now) and hard to gain backing to work against.

Also, MP3 is copyrighted and the people who own the rights to the format are pretty much allied with the RIAA. OGG however, is completely open source, and thus will never be under the control of any one party. Horray for forethought!

Danarchy said:

Also, MP3 is copyrighted and the people who own the rights to the format are pretty much allied with the RIAA.

Doesn't Thomson own the rights to MP3? Or is it just mp3PRO? I thought Thomson was in Germany. What do they have to do with RIAA?

Danarchy said:

Also, MP3 is copyrighted and the people who own the rights to the format are pretty much allied with the RIAA.

Or else.

dr_st said:

Doesn't Thomson own the rights to MP3? Or is it just mp3PRO? I thought Thomson was in Germany. What do they have to do with RIAA?

Well, last I heard, the RIAA was making some kind of agreement with them.

It's always been my thought that if they didn't make such a damn big deal out of it, it wouldn't get so out of hand. But then again, maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic there.

At any rate, I don't see how they plan to screen everything unless they were to open up every ZIP and RAR file that was ever sent... and for that matter, every wad file as well (because let's face it, it'd be easy to disguise an MP3 as a wad, wouldn't it?).

They can't do anything. The purpose of their actions is not to try to eradicate piracy, but to send out the impression that piracy is wrong. If they stopped fighting, it would equal to admitting that there is nothing wrong with piracy. Something which they don't want to do, and rightfully so, I believe.